Pennington Hopes to Remain a Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Drew, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

all i know is it sounds like hes willing to work his contract down, but not at the cost of 1 millions per year + incentives...not too bad for us...just do it and get it over with penny!!!

2. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

He doesn't sound like he really cares about being a Jet to me. The Jets counter offers should include less incentives, so that he can't actually make his old salary back even if he has a good year. If he wants to make it lower risk for him, he should get lower rewards. Frankly, i'd rather just cut the fucker and get it over with. Ideally I want to trade him to the 'Fins, so that Mangini can make him look stupid twice every season.

3. SOWELLisGOD

SOWELLisGOD New Member

agreed...here's hoping he makes a full comeback, and is at least given a chance to compete for a starting job...if not, have fun backing up trent green

4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

dont like him huh??? i dont think anyone can tell:eek:hmy:

5. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I dont know...I dont look at it as hatred. You have a guy that was paid incredible money that has come up lame 2 straight seasons with basically the same injury. Is that his fault? Of course not.

At the same time, this isnt a charity giveaway. Some times a player shouldnt be shocked that he has taken the team to the bank for two straight seasons...and now the team wants some of it back...so the TEAM can be better.

I think a lot of fans want Chad to come back and be as good as ever...I know I would love that.

The Jets are in a lot of trouble right now. They need severe cap help so that they can somehow piece an offensive line back together. Nobody is asking Chad to play for free...just that some may think comments like "2nd string QB's make more than what the they have offered me" sound selfish...and this isnt a good year to be selfish...especially when nobody right now even knows if he will be able to throw the ball 20 yards.

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I understand, but people have such short memories and forget how good he was not only in 2003, but in 2004. And people forget what a winner he is. He doesn't have arm strength, but he doesn't make mistakes. Why do people concentrate so much on what he can't do rather than what he has proven he can do - never an interception in the red zone, 92 career QB rating and 2 to 1 TD to Int ratio. Who cares who fast the ball travels with numbers like that?

And as for his attitude, the same people that are calling him selfish are the first ones to clamor for TO to be a Jet. And to side with the Jet beat writers over a player like Pennington? What is the point of that.

I will bet anything that if Pennington is cut, he will come back to haunt the Jets. And Abraham will also.

7. KSJets

KSJets New Member

I agree 100%

8. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

What, didn't we go over this in another thread? That 2 to 1 TD ratio is mostly from 2002, which comparatively was probably a fluke. Part of the reason he doesn't throw INTs in the red zone is because once we get into that area we tighten up and don't get TDs. When you don't throw the ball, it's hard to throw INTs. If you look at his record since 2002, it is decidedly mediocre. I'd rather have a QB that throws an INT in the red zone at some point than a QB that almost always just settles for a field goal. Bottom line, Pennington-led offenses have never been league leaders in points scored. You can blame Hackett to a point, and then blame Herm to a point, but eventually you have to put that blame on the man calling the signals and throwing the ball.

If I thought he could be back in 2002 form, I'd probably want him. But he's shown he can't get back to that form, and he's shown he can't stay on the field. Noodle arm has just gotten more noodley, and he's also apparently lost all his intelligence since he makes extremely stupid throws when he is on the field. Pennington led the Jets to one kick away from the AFC Championship game about as much as Jake Plummer led the Broncos to 13-3 and over the Patriots in the Divisional round. It's more like the teams won in spite of their non-performances.

That QB rating is extremely deceptive, and I don't think it's even that good overall without 2002.

And that last thing is just ridiculously stupid. I call him selfish and I absolutely hate T.O. Why do you make so many stupid statements? They're credibility killers.

This is just another example of homer Jets fans overrating our talent. We're not that good. If we had pro-bowl players we'd have gotten further than we have, and we wouldn't be in this cap mess we are in. You get into those messes when you overpay for good but not great talent.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yes, Chad was absolutely overpaid. I thought so from day one. I didn't complain though. Had he never been hurt, none of us might be upset about him right now.

I think the Jets were right to put the lowball offer on the table. Quite simply, why not? They had to figure he would cave to the pressure, since he has such a huge question mark dangling over his career right now. I don't think it's selfish of him to turn it down though.

You are talking about more than an 80% paycut. In his head, he has to figure there is a chance that even if he is healthy, he may never get another snap in a green jersey again. It's been big news for months that the Jets have been eyeing Collins, Kitna, Ramsey and Rivers. That's not even counting the stock of QBs coming out in the draft, so many in fact, that the Jets are assured at least one of them with their pick, if they want to go that route.

Agreeing to that restructure was an easy ticket for the Jets to get away with paying him a million this year, and nothing more, as Chad sits on the bench holding the clipboard behind Bollinger and whomever the team brings in as a regular QB.

All I am saying is let's be honest here. Yes, we are all Jets fans, and we want the cap fixed, and the team to win, but to call Chad greedy simply for wanting to protect his income from a ridiculous cut isn't really fair. None of us would be willing to give up that percentage of our salary for any reason. Why should we expect him to?

I don't honestly believe he is going to come back as good as he once might have been. However, he never threw that hard in the first place, so he isn't losing his primary weapon. As far as being scared or confused in the pocket, I don't know too many guys in the NFL who would be comfortable behind our OL.

10. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

None of us would have jobs if we continually failed to produce during the year. It's like being given a huge project, and then getting the flu or something in the middle of it. You do this repeatedly for 4 years, spending an entire year out, and in real life you don't worry about taking a paycut. You just flat out get fired.

None of us also claim we are "team" players. We don't pretend we are in it for our coworkers or our bosses. We admit we are in it for the money. Chad claimed to be the opposite.

If your boss came to you tomorrow and said "you haven't been to work for months, and I'm not going to pay you anymore to sit at home while the rest of us work, you either take a paycut in salary and take an hourly wage, or you can just have nothing" you'd probably take the hourly wage. You probably also would realize why the company is dealing with you this way. You wouldn't claim "temps get paid more than me" and try to paint yourself as a victim.

Chad is useless now. He can't stay on the field, and quite frankly, he is a small town country boy in a big time city town. He simply does not have the intellect or calmness to deal with the media, the fans, and his teammates. It doesn't help that he is a money grubbing Herm Edwards type BS artist. Remember, Chad learned from the best. Maybe that's why Herm and Chad were so close, Herm was teaching Chad how to BS about being in it for the team, while really only looking out for #1 and his bottom line. Personally I don't mind anyone looking to collect a paycheck, I just mind when you tell me that's not what you valued the most. Look on over to Curtis Martin, when he says he cares about the team I believe him. The man backs his talk up. What does Pennington do? It's always about his playing time or money. He's never sacrificed for the team. Don't tell me it's when he played with that injury, other QBs play with injuries and are still effective, and don't have a freaking injury every year. He knew if he didn't play those games he would have been out of NY even sooner. The man can't complete a season.

11. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Abraham has a "Hugh Douglass" smell to it...I totally agree. Just that with the cap situation, If the Jets can get an excellent pick for him...you almost have to do it. Im not crazy about it...believe me.

As far as Pennington goes, have to disagree with you. Could he comeback to haunt the Jets? I guess anythings possible. I just think that he will be here so that wont be the case. I also believe that if I were Chad, I would negotiate tough...and then take whatever I could.

The days of rewarding past achievements are over. Chad Pennington broke his wrist...and then had 2 shoulder surgerys in the past 3 years. He is probably the most fragile QB in the NFL...including 2nd stringers. The only negotiating tool he has is his current contract. Once that contract is scratched...either by being cut...or done over, Chad becomes one of the biggest question marks in the NFL.

12. azjet

azjet New Member

Well you should be!

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Like it or not Chad will be our QB next year with Brooks in the wings. They migh go as far as getting a veteran QB in case Chad does not make his recovery or gets hurt again. Once and for all we must accept the fact that before we draft the superstar QB we need to retool the OL and the surrounding positions. Curtis is basically done, our TE is somewhat suspect and the OL is a shambles. If we do not beef up the front line, we would have to destroy another first rounder and get into further cap hell with no hope of being competitive. WE LOST 2 QB in IN ONE GAME. Chad or Brooks can win with a great OL and a solid TE/Running back/Speedy WR. Leiner, Cutler, Young, Marino, Manning nor Montana could win with our offensive line.

14. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

Well when the sun comes up next it will be the 1st day of March.

And things are rapidly drawing to the fateful day when the $3 mill is due, so either bend a bit and give him 1 1/2 or 2 and lets see if that does it. If not kiss him goodbye.

I'm not too happy about having him back as we need many other people to be up there in 07 (not much faith in 06) and the damage to his shoulder may never be overcome.

15. amliv15

amliv15 New Member

I'm sorry, but I've been a huge Chad supporter since day one, but this is a business. The guy has gone through two rotator cuff surgeries, and never proved himself after one. I wish he could come back in his best form, but that would only logically be a miracle. If you're a business man you don't bet on miracles, you invest your millions on what you think is the closest thing to being a sure thing, not a guy coming off two rotator cuff surgeries that couldnt throw the ball with much zip in the first place. Sometimes the truth is hard to handle.

16. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

Whatever helps my team more, if he is cut im sure there was a better fitter.

If he stays he can be a hell of a backup and can help any QB starting.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

He was bad in 03 and he was mediocre in 04. In 04 he was good against bad teams, okay against good teams and stunk against very good teams. He was also paid 22 million for the 16 games he played since he signed his new contract.

I think his comments indicate a deal is in place. If they don't have a deal at least in principle he is being incredible stupid talking to the media. The Jet management has made it clear they don't want to negiotate in the press with anyone. Why would Chad intentionally piss all over Tannenbaum and Mangini unless he was instructed to?