Pennington deal is DONE: ESPNEWS

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AMJets, Mar 5, 2006.

1. luckiestman

luckiestman New Member

2 of my 3 favorite seasons as a jets fan have penny leading the way

why people dont want to give this guy a shot baffles me

2. Capt. Spaulding

Capt. Spaulding New Member

A shot? A shot? Haven't we given him a few shots? He is a paper doll with a tissue shoulder. I WANT TO WIN. What do you want?? and will Chad give it to you? Answer that last one only if a championship was your answer to my last ?. THX

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

He deserves a chance to come back, but we can not rest our season on Chad's shoulders (ever). We will always need a contigiency plan. I like the idea of drafting a QB (Cutler or Young) and grooming them. Chad may come back, but it is very far from a guarantee.

4. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

you're right about that thought > we do need a backup that can and will step up as a starter..Kitna, Cutler, Young, whatever...

I'd go with FA though, not draft

5. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

i'll withhold judgement on this until after the draft. as long as they take a qb with their first pick i don't have a problem with this.

6. I'm w/ ya 100%. Let's take Cutler if he's there, and let the best man win in training camp.

7. NYJalltheway

Wouldn't you guys rather take a position that is for sure needed..like OL?

8. Ok, but 2 things..

1. At #4 the only OL worth taking is Ferguson and there is a very good chance he goes to the Titans at 3.

2. He plays the one position we rtruly have any stability at w/ Adrian Jones.

Am I saying he'd be a bad pick? No. But first we need to make sure he is there at 4, and that we can find a place for Jones.

9. NYJalltheway

what if we trade Abe away for ____ and take Mario Williams at 4?..

that would be nice imo

10. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I raised this point in another thread, but as long as Chad stays here, we will always have to have a quality (border-line on starting) QB at the #2 spot. When you analyze it from a monetary standpoint, the cost of doing things this way is not good business. With the money spent on 2 quality QB's it would be better to have the same money spent on an outstanding QB with a serviceable backup QB, like Bollinger (BB should be the #2, but can't in this system).

I like Chad a lot, but I think that the ballot has been cast regarding his future. This year they will save cap money (that's all they wanted to do) while continuing the rehab of Chad. Hopefully, he will get some quality game time in during 2006. I think we absolutely draft a QB at #4 this year, and if there is a God, I hope it is Cutler. We groom Cutler for a year unless Chad gets injured again, then he would get some playing time in.

I think Chad gets traded next year for a second round pick if he can prove he can still be a reasonable QB.

11. dclark26

dclark26 New Member

Kudos to Penny and the Jets for reaching the "middle ground". I admire Penny for re-niggin. Maybe this will light a fire under his ass to stay healthy and earn the rest of that $.

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

It's not like we're currently stocked with QBs, so I'm glad we can keep Chad and not take a $12 million cap hit. This doesn't re-anoint him as the QB of the future, it just means he'll be here to fight for the job and we don't get killed on the cap. Probably the best-case scenario for right now, we can only guess what happens in the future anyway.

13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Agreed. Chad has decided to play fair. It puts himself and the team in the best possible situation. I still say he is probably not our QB in 2007, but I don't have a crystal ball.

He will at least get his chance to porve to everyone and himself if he can still get it done.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I really hope we don't waste money on a Kitna type FA QB now. Hopefully we draft Cutler, I would feel comfortable with our QB situation with Cutler, Penny & Brooksie.

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Glad we got the paycut done.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sacrifice year after year? Haven't we've been doing exactly that for the last 37? When was the last time a team hired a 35 year HC and GM at the same time? Point being, why not go in a entirely different direction instead of this one brick at a time approach that's gotten us nowhere spanning almost 4 decades.

Free up cap space is a issue now? Since when? You must be a season ticket holder or someone that thinks this team will become magically competitve in '06. Why not free up the cap space during a year when you're not gonna make any playoff moves. Not only that, with '07 looking more and more like an uncapped year, why not clear the books at the latest by the end of the season '06, go into '07 with a clean slate then with a new CBA in place by '08, have all the cap room in the world to work with?

We have an aging foundation with a shakey QB, old RB and no OLine. Usually, when a building is in as bad a shape as the Jets are, it gets condemmed and then demolished. Then in its place, a new building rises from a new foundation. It shouldn't take the Jets another 40 years from yesterday to do this although if they continue with the old way of thinking, it very well could.