Paxton Lynch

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Rockinz, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we were to fast forward to the draft in our current situation at QB (Fitz not resigned, Petty, Geno) and assuming Goff/Wentz are off the board at #20 would Mac consider rolling the dice on Lynch?

I'll be honest I really have only seen highlights of his play and read some posts on him..

I think there is a good chance he will be there at 20 and if we go into the draft without a starting QB would Mac pull the trigger on a boom or bust QB?

What is the verdict on him and what are his pro's/con's?

boozer32 likes this.
  2. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I believe Mac would. The pressure would be intense and I think his theory is Ron Wolf's theory of taking a QB every year until you find one. Lynch is a big strong athletic QB.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

A lot of mocks have him slipping to Elway at the end of the round. If that were to happen the Broncos will be in the SuperBowl again in 2018.

4. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Not a chance he reaches 20 IMO. Niners at 7 , Eagles at 13 or the Rams at 15 would all be serious suitors for him.

He has a big arm and seems to have good accuracy. But from what I've seen of him he holds the ball for a longggg time when his WR's are wide open. That might not have hurt him in college but do that in the pros and you're in for a long, or short, career.

Sooner or later I think Mac will need to select his young QB that the team will groom , I just hope its not this year.

Plus I would be stunned if the Fitz situation wasnt handled before the draft.

5. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We should draft any top prospect QB that falls to us in the draft

westiedog1 likes this.
  6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Lynch is the type of prospect that flies up draft boards.
    He needs some work, but has things you can’t teach - size, arm and enough athleticism to excite some team enough to take before pick 15.
    I’m predicted him to get selected before Goff due to higher ceiling… no different than other recent drafts.
    If he is there at 20, I think the Jets take him.

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I am curious about him too. Like what I read and would be interested in the feedback of others who have watched him more closely and frequently.

If the FO thinks he's a future big-time franchise QB and they're still not sold on Petty, I hope they take him at 20 even if they resign Fitz. Even if he's back, he's not a long term answer and they need to be thinking about the position beyond 2016

8. KingRoach

I'd make both those bets.

I don't think the Eagles will take a qb in the first round. They have Bradford for two years and they just paid their back up good money. I don't see the coach taking a qb esp a "project" with their first pick.

We'll see what the niners are prepared to do after April 1 when the Kaep money becomes guaranteed. If they keep him then they have too much already invested in the position to draft a qb in the first round when they have so many other holes to fill. I'd definitely make a bet that one of the top 3 qbs will be available at 20.

I don't see what incentive the Jets have to sign Fitz before the draft. The longer they wait the weaker his position becomes.

9. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

My initial thoughts on Lynch were not overly positive. He has the physical tools that I like - size, strong arm, mobility - but he didn't play well in his big games last year, was in a simple college offense and played mostly in the shotgun. But after some reflection I have changed my mind and would love it if he landed to us in the draft. I believe if we can get Fitz back and have Lynch and Petty both being groomed under him we will have 2 really good opportunities to finally get the elusive Franchise QB.

KingRoach likes this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Here were my thoughts from October:

http://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/paxton-lynch-qb-memphis.85365/

Since then I've started to like Carson Wentz significantly more (he's right behind Goff for QB2 for me), and I've also bought more stock in Cardale Jones and soured a little bit on Paxton. Everything else in there is still pretty indicative of my current opinions.

11. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Because of the position he plays.

Don't see him going before Goff. Or Wentz. He is not as good a prospect as those two.

I don't see Mac reaching for him if he has him graded significantly below that. Lynch is definitely a project. How far along our other project is, Petty, might be at play there.

Mac could pull off a trade there with say a Denver too. I'm thinking draft day trades are very possible this year

12. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Best QB in the draft to me. He has a ways to go in terms of patience in the pocket, field vison, and quickly processing information, but the improvement he made from 2014 was astonishing and he's shown flashes of patience, poise, and an efficient deep ball .

I feel as if his simple O at Memphis was a negative to his overall developement. They placed a heavy emphasis on screens and throws behind the LOS and prevented Lynch from showcasing his deep ball and anticipation. He's not the prettiest QB in terms of play or mechanics, but I believe with time that he can become a quality NFL starter. I take would him at 20, especially if a veteran such as Mccown is under center next season.

13. irishwhip03

It's just very unlikely he gets past all 3 of those teams IMO , with the Rams being the likeliest destination.

As for Fitz, I agree the longer it takes the "better" it is for the team, so to speak. But going into the draft with a QB in limbo would really handicap MacCagnan's ability to access our needs.

Because of that I would guess that his situation will be handled by then. Atleast that's what a smart franchise would do.

14. KingRoach

My point is that there is a huge chance imo that one of the big 3 is there at 20. I don't have an opinion as to which one but I'd be happy with any of them.

I disagree about what a "smart" franchise would do mostly bc I don't think it'll be the end of the world if the jets are "stuck" with Geno as a starter next year but we will see. I love this time of year and the speculations almost as much as I love the regular season.

15. irishwhip03

Well Im in a different boat completely. To me , if the Jets are stuck with Geno , I think we can pack it in for the season and start the rebuild.

It will be interesting to see if the team covets any higher ranked QB though. There's probably a good chance 1 of the 3 top guys are there , but lets say they value Goff the most if he drops and Lynch is there. Chances are they wont draft him if thats the case.

We'll see.

16. KingRoach

Geno's stats from his first/worst/rookie year are about the same as Peyton's from last year.

Obviously the sherrif is a leader and has an immeasurable football iq but there is a great divide between super bowl champs and packing it in.

17. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Interesting you think he didn't play well in big games?

Against Ole Miss he had one of his best performances in his career.

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Paxton Lynch Pro Day is April, 6. That will further define his place. Look for his passing and throwing abilities, obviously. Hard to say at the Combine I thought. On TV anyway.
    His size and athleticism are obvious.

19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

i hope we draft him. even if we sign fitz.

i HATE the argument that you pass on a qb because you already have a young qb on the roster.... that usually turns into one of those convesations like "well we passed on drew brees because we already had joe schmoe on the roster"

we need a qb for the future with or without fitz. if we like lynch(and i really like lynch) then we should take him without hesitation regardless of the roster

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

What about the 3 big conference games at the end of the season that could have put them into the conference championship... He did not play well in those games. Those games..with everything on the line..mattered more to me in my assessment.

74 likes this.