Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Why?

I like Watson too, but I'm leaning towards Mahomes. I think the thing I like about him is that while he played in a system, I don't think he's really a product of that system, they way maybe Watson was? I think Mahomes is his own system - he just does whatever works, and that may be the best argument I can make for him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

I could definitely see the Browns doing this. They could take Garrett at 1 and Mahomes at 12 and instantly turn their franchise around.

With that in mind, I could envision Macc drafting Mahomes at 6, and then seeing what Cleveland would give up for him. If Macc really thinks Petty/Hack can be the guy, he might be able to get the Browns to give up their 12, their 33 pick, and the 65 pick. With those picks the Jets could still probably get Fournette or Cook, or at least Howard, a top pass rusher, and an OL all for the price of one pick. I really don't like trading down, but this scenario might be worth it.

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

because i have seen what he does against the best and i like his mobility and he knows how to use the players around him. he seems smart and coachable and has "it" whatever it is. . kids a winner pure and simple

4. ColoradoContrails

c
    I can't really argue with that. I wouldn't cry if the Jets took him instead of Mahomes, I like both, and I believe people are blind when they say there's no top QBs in this draft.

FJF likes this.
  5. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Yea I posted a link to it on page three of this thread, but its nice watching it again.

Check out some of the earlier posts in this thread, there were a lot of scouting videos on PM. I could only imagine what PM could have done with the surrounding cast that Watson had at Clemson. At Texas Tech, PM had the worst D in Div I , a very young and inexperienced OL , and a true freshman RB.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Better yet ...why show your hand and draft Mahomes (personally I think if you have him in hand you should just keep him)

As Br4d and I have posted, it would be more strategic to just entertain all offers (including the Browns) to trade down if no one has yet taken PM by Round 6...let the phone ring a while and see if you can double the number of picks from just 3

donkey likes this.
  8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

njjets93 likes this.
  9. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

10. ColoradoContrails

I guess I was trying to "Have my cake and eat it too" so to speak. That is, if they grab Mahomes, worst case is they get to keep him if Cleveland doesn't play ball (or some other team doesn't offer a better package than what I described).

You're right that by actually picking Mahomes you limit your trading partners to teams that would want him, but I would want him for the Jets UNLESS I were overwhelmed with an offer that allowed me to get a couple of franchise-level players.

11. ColoradoContrails

This is a lengthy video analysis of Mahomes, but if you have the time, it's instructive:

One thing that I think kind of nails what's best about him is covered at about the 15 minute mark (BTW, the first 5 minutes are just B.S.), where they liken what he does to a SS: when a ball is hit the SS (or really anyone), they react, and then once they catch it they quickly make a throw to the base no matter whether their feet and body are set correctly - they make the play. And this is what the essence of Mahomes is: he makes the plays, one way or the other, and he has the physical tools to do it, whereas a lot of other QBs have to have their mechanics correct to even try.

I'm more convinced than ever that he's a FQB in the making.

12. NYJetsO12

OK OK Sign this BEAst!!! lol

TonyFtLaud and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I checked out his videos. He is a beast for sure.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Mayock's always late to the party.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...k-mahomes-is-entering-firstround-conversation

Red Menace likes this.
  15. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

legler82, Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  16. NYJetsO12

Combine starts today and I hope some people will watching the QBs while iam at work

If mahomes blows them away at Lucas Oil S its going to get me pretty nervous the kid wont be there come the second or third round

Right now I am on board with trading down but ...........

17. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Garret might fall to the jets if Mahomes moves up the boards. FQBs make teams act like moths to the light, Watson, Mahomes, might make other teams take Kizer and Trubinski earlier than they should go.

18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I get the feeling Trubisky is the faller in the draft among the 4 QB's most often mentioned. He might not fall, as Mark Sanchez didn't despite similar lack of play experience, but it's hard to see an NFL franchise spending a high number 1 pick on a QB who has only started 13 games in college.

He wasn't good enough to start as freshman or sophomore at NC State and he chose not to go back for his Senior year. That's red flag territory when you are spending a 1st round draft pick.

I'm thinking that he may fall through to the area that Derek Carr got selected in at the beginning of the 2nd round. I think if he does get picked in the 1st round it may well be a team like the Steelers or Packers that know that they can sit him for 2 solid years before they have to put him on the field as their legend retires.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You get that the first play there is a strip-sack fumble in the NFL probably for 6 the other way, right?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NYJetsO12

In a controlled environment like the combine he might do well but under fire he is still a project I suppose..

I hope the other teams don't want him so fast either..heh