Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't think of a QB with the arm talent of Mahomes that failed due to mechanics off of the top of my head, but then I can't think of many QBs drafted over the last 10-15 years that had the arm talent Mahomes has. I can think of a lot of players at other positions, however, who dominated in college because of natural ability, size, strength, speed, and then were not as good as they could/should have been, struggled or failed in the NFL because they never had proper mechanics. I can also think of a lot of Heisman Trophy-winning QBs and Texas Tech QBs who failed in the NFL.

I'm not saying that Mahomes will fail. To the contrary, I think he has a great chance to succeed. I'm just trying to keep realistic expectations about him.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Air Raid QBs give me cancer

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

QBs that get overrated just because they played in pro-style offenses give me cancer.

#83 legler82, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    BigSnacks54, JetLifeLo and njjets93 like this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

QBs from pro style offenses have a far better chance at succeeding in the NFL. Here are some of the lovely air raid QBs that have come into the league. Timmy Chang, Colt Brennan, Tim Couch, Weeden, Geno Smith, and Nick Foles all examples of Air Raid QBs. Goff had an Air Raid offense with built in NFL terminologies and reads. Goff also has great footwork and mechanics.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Mechanics, offense style, the most important thing are intangibles, particularly a winning mentality. This is something you can't coach, and its hard to measure because the college level talent is apples and oranges to the pros, but how did Wolff and Steinburg get it right with Favre, or any of other GMs who have discovered FQBs? They know what to look for, so if that's the case, then other people can find it too.

I'm not a GM, nor do I have access to all the info and data about these guys, but my gut feeling is that Watson, especially, has the right makeup. From what I've seen, and what he's been able to accomplish, Mahomes has it too. I don't think either will last until the 2nd round, and Watson may well be the 1st QB taken.

And what happens if they Jets drafted one of them and they failed? They'd likely win a high draft pick next year.

"Nothing ventured; nothing gained".

nicg4360 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

The issue also with the Jets is when they take a QB, they don't play to that QBs strengths, they don't adapt. They attempt to take a square peg and plug it into a round hole. They tried running a WCO with Geno Smith. Mark Sanchez, was a QB that could throw on the run pretty well and the Jets never really put that in the playbook during the Schotty era.

If the Jets got Watson, Gailey would've been a great fit for him, the question is will this new offense be adaptable?

Brook! and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  7. legler82

Sanchez ran the WCO so well in high school that it made him a highly recruited prospect. He ran it so well at USC that it made him a top 10 pick. At his first chance to run the WCO in the NFL, he jacks up his shoulder in a meaningless preseason game. Geno was a terrible fit in the WCO but would have been a good fit for Chan Gailey's Spread-like offense. At his first chance to head this offense, he gets his jaw smashed in. The Football Gods just hate the Jets.

Edit: Morton has a WCO background. If that's what we end up running next year with Petty or Hack, then the vicious cycle will continue.

#87 legler82, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
    Jonathan_Vilma and njjets93 like this.
  8. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

I think the curse will not be broken until Bill steps down...At least we have something to look forward to.

9. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I don't quite understand the love for Mahomes. He's got a great arm, don't get me wrong, but so do a ton of other players. I've watched some film on him and nothing he does really stands out to me other than a couple flashy throws a game. Even that game where he had 900 yards or whatever, I came away unimpressed after watching the film. Just seems like a Day 2 project pick at best and we already have 2 of those.

10. legler82

Yet another evaluation.

http://nflmocks.com/2017/02/06/patrick-mahomes-ii-qb-texas-tech-2017-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

11. ColoradoContrails

I believe that Mahomes will go in the first round, and if we don't take him, the Steelers are rumored to want him. If I thought it were possible to snag Cook or Howard with the first pick, and then get Mahomes, I'd feel like the offense has been reborn. Of course this is just wishful thinking, but it keeps me from having to accept the reality of being a Jets fan.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. legler82

13. legler82

14. legler82

15. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

I think this kid moves up into the top 10 after the combines. I think he is worth a shot. We can't pass up on a possible franchise qb. How long has it been since the days of Broadway Joe?

Some of his workout vids are on twitter. On Mahomes site and I guess the facility that is prepping him. STACKS. One of the short vids show him doing shuttle with Jabril Peppers, and looked like he got a better time. I would post the videos but I don't have a clue how. Sorry guys.

Side note there is also a video of him throwing a baseball 110 mph on a radar gun of some sort. That is on Mahomes twitter. LOL Sidd Finch.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

110 mph? Can the Yankees draft him? Sounds unreasonable.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Thanks for that link.

My initial impression is that Mahomes is a guy who everyone is having trouble evaluating. Going by the numbers that they usually rely on, he grades out as a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but his intangibles are off the chart, so no one really knows how to assess him. This guy seems to having a war between his head and his gut, and I think he knows in his gut that Mahomes is a once in a blue moon talent, even with the holes in his game.

I'll be surprised if he lasts to the 2nd round. As he says, Buffalo might take him at 10, the Giants might take him, and certainly the Steelers could. I really think the Jets should take him at 6 if Watson isn't there. He definitely does have FQB ability, and what else do you need to know? But again, I doubt Macc will do it.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing. I think these two guys are very good in their analysis, but at about the halfway point, they miss some very glaring stuff and give Mahomes too much credit.

For instance, on the throw vs Oklahoma where he compares it to the kick by Zidane in the World Cup, imo, it wasn't a brilliant decision, but stupid. Why? because there was another receiver who was wide open 3-5 yards behind him, and there were 3 DBs in the area of the receiver he threw to as well as another Texas Tech receiver. In the NFL that pass would be a pick six or at least an interception. He had an open receiver that was closer to him, and that receiver could probably have run for 10 yards. Just a play or two after that, they talk about the back shoulder throws and credit him with a good decision. He locks onto the receiver and throws it to him in spite of the fact that he has double-coverage. Meanwhile, there's another WR (#8) about 3-5 yards away on the sideline that's wide open and probably could have run a long way with the ball.

Mahomes is an awesome prospect. In some ways, he's perfect for the Jets, in that like almost everything else about the team, he will probably be maddening. He will probably excite and do incredible things, and will also probably do stupid things. If the CS stays the same here, he will probably never correct his flaws or reach his full potential.

So in many ways, it would be better for him to play elsewhere. That said, I'm torn. In one way, I hope we take him, even at #6 if we have to. In another, he scares the crap out of me, and I hope we don't, at least not at #6. If we can get rid of Bowles and get an offensive-minded HC, I think Mahomes could develop into a top 5-10 QB in the NFL and could bring us a lot of wins, joy and excitement. If Bowles stays, all bets are off for the kid to develop into a top QB.

It will be interesting to see how his interviews and whiteboard discussions go, and how coachable and mature he seems to be.

#98 NCJetsfan, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  19. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I've seen a little ... about two to three games. But I'm starting to think we need to consider him at 6. People will shy away from him because of his system or because he's unique to say the least, but he looks like's whose a smart QB... his "chaos" seems to have a plan behind it. He could easily bust, but the potential he shows with his tools+smarts, wow. If he checks out in team interviews, I don't see why he shouldn't go high.

ColoradoContrails and legler82 like this.
  20. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Vilma my mistake the video on Mahomes twitter was a white sox prospect hitting 110,, sorry about the confusion. He was a good baseball player though, lol.