Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

Smh this kid looks like a stud to me, literally have watched as much as i could on him the past couple of days and this looks like Carson Wentz part 2, per late rise. And to me at this point its either Hooker or Maholmes in the 1st for me. He's more talented than the other 3 (Watson, Kizer, Trubisky) and he looks like Derek Carr, superior arm talent, mobile, good size 6'3 230, accurate as hell. Damn the hype has kinda gotten crazy these past couple days i really wouldn't be surprised if he's the first QB come draft time.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Is he really that big? He didn't look that big to me in the video I saw.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's amazing isn't it? It's like they gave him the football and said go wing the rock around however you'd like. Literally no technique has ever been coached to him. It's scary to think about what he could be if drafted in the right situation to learn the fundamentals.

Could be a problem for him though in that it's tough to fix this late in the game. He's definitely not that swift or quick in the pocket even though he seems to have a good feel for it. Those long plodding steps when avoiding the rush won't fly in the NFL.

#43 Jonathan_Vilma, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    alleycat9 likes this.
  4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

LOL

5. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

its really scary, i know kids who are 6 and 7 years old that have better fundamentals than some of these guys.

its funny because so much time seems to be spent on guys catching the ball and route running, these guys probably throw more passes than we can imagine but they just overlook the mechanics. and there are so many tools for them to use to get better, but they are probably so much more talented than the kids around them that they are overlooked most of the way up.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I'm not too impressed with Mahomes. His throwing motion is at best 3/4, almost sidearm. A lot of his throws are just "chucking it up" down field, he's a product of the system which isn't helpful transitioning to the NFL.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  7. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I like Mahomes as a prospect.

Rocket arm, quick release, can throw at multiple arm slots, Tough competitor.

On the flip side...

Comes from an air raid offense, nothing like a pro scheme. Bad footwork and mechanics are inconsistent.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's going to require a QB to sit and learn and the Jets can no longer be in that business in my opinion. We already have 2 on the roster. Plus Air Raid curse.

WW85 and FJF like this.
  9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You're on point, any QB we draft is going to take some time. The Jets put themselves in this position drafting Hack in Rd 2 no less, and having 2 QBs on the roster that aren't close to NFL ready. The Jet's QB situation is the laughing stock of this league.

IMO, the best option would be Mike Glennon, probably will have to over pay him to make him come to NY and hopefully be successful ASAP.

10. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Upfront I am a Tech alumni and fan, that said Mahomes has a cannon for an arm.. He makes all of the throws. He is mobile in the pocket and tough. He played this year with several injuries. Texas Tech had a young and inexperienced OL and Mahomes had to improvise quite often. He also missed Deandre Washington in the backfield( Now with the Raiders) Tech dont play the "system" where the QB dumps a pass 5 yards and looks for the WR to get YAC. He puts the ball downfield. He started as a true freshman and in only three years threw for over 11,000 yds. / 93 tds / 29 ints. He also ran for He also rushed for 22 tds. in three years.

Kingsbury has coached Case Keenum and Johnny Manzel so he has developed some talent.. Too bad he couldn't give Manzel a brain transplant.

One Heisman candidate Baker Mayfield and the Cal QB Davis Webb transferred from Tech because they could not take the starting job from Mahomes.

The Jets won't take him in the first round unless they are committed to start him and thats unlikely, and I don't think he lasts to the Jets 2nd round position.

Here is some indication of his arm strength a 65 yard pass from his knees.. Which is a likely position he could find himself in with the Jets OL.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/col...patrick-mahomes-throw-football-65-yards-knees

11. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

That actually looked better than a normal Fitz pass...

12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

13. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

With the Big Ben retirement talk I wouldn't be surprised to see Pitt take him in the first round.

14. Boomboom

Boomboom Active Member

I'm stating now that I've bought my ticket to board the hype train

15. legler82

All aboard! Choo choo!!!

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Till Darnold declares, take flyer on kid

17. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Word in Lubbock (self described insiders) is that Steelers are showing a lot of interest. With Big Ben talking retirement , PM would be the perfect understudy and it would put the kid in a good situation helping him develop.

18. legler82

#58 legler82, Jan 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    njjets93 likes this.
  19. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member