Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If the Jets REALLY want to be in the sweepstakes for #1 pick next year, then their top priority should be acquiring Cleveland's 1st next year and any other picks next year possible.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

Br4d and NOVAJET like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Getting the 12 and next year's 1st would be better than getting the 12 and the 33. The JJ Chart says 12 + 33 but the Jet's priorities say 12 + 1st next year.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree about taking any of the QBs at #6, but at #12 it's more palatable imo.

You have a possible point about the Jets' hands being more tied next year if they take Mahomes this year, but not if Mahomes clearly demonstrates that has what it takes and will be their QB of the future. In that scenario they are then free to take that LT next year and whatever other offensive players they want and don't have to worry about trading up.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. Br4d

Mahomes couldn't demonstrate anything in a redshirt season. That's my point about not taking a project QB this year. If the Jets take a QB it has to be in the mindset of the guy finds the field and plays fairly well this year or we're picking another one next year.

Can you imagine the angst in Jet-land if they passed on a FQB next year and the project turned out to be a bust in the end? That would be so Same Old Jets.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. xxedge72x

That's why you select one both years and let them fight amongst themselves for alpha status.

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Not a bad idea, but the Jets took Geno then bypassed a qb the next year ... If they took Mahomes, then history could repeat itself.

7. xxedge72x

The Geno selection was terrible. This is a guy who was originally hyped to be a top 5 pick with whispers of him even going 1st overall. He dropped like a brick (unlike Mahomes) and the reason is teams saw what the Jets ended up seeing through his stay here: poor attitude, not coachable enough to make the transition from an offense that has yet to successfully translate to the NFL.

Idzik, in all his infinite wisdom, had Geno drop into his lap and he's like "well, what'dya know?". I may be totally off, but based on everything I've seen out of the Idzik regime, they didn't have a plan. Geno wasn't their guy, he simply made it past his mock draft status and blessed us with his "value". QBs that teams believe in don't fall like Geno did. Then, Rex, in all his infinite wisdom, decides to play Mark Sanchez in the 4th quarter of the 4th preseason game, now suddenly Geno is "the guy". There was no plan here.

Despite how bad things have gone so far, I believe Mac and Bowles at least have a semblance of a plan. I don't anticipate history repeating itself in this situation. I think if the Jets were to take Mahomes, and then they pass on a QB next year, its either because next years QBs actually aren't all that, or either Hackenberg and Mahomes revealed themselves to be the man and the Jets are ready to move forward. Either way, I'd rather they not miss an opportunity now while it is in front of them, like the Jets have done countless other times throughout draft history.

8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i like the idea of always having a redshirted qb entering every camp until we have the answer. and that qb should be selected as soon as the grade dictates.

xxedge72x likes this.
  9. xxedge72x

Why not shoot for the sun while we have this draft position available to us? We won't forever (hopefully).

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if mac thinks a qb is worth the 6 i won't hate it. personally, i don't, i wouldn't mind taking whichever one falls to the 2nd or kizer. (unmerited boasting aside, i think he could end up being the best pro in this draft). whats important is we keep the train of potential fqb's cycling in until we find the one.

11. Br4d

Just imagine the situation as three guys available at the top of the draft, 2 QB's and a LT. Now insert Beachum having an iffy year in 2017 and think about what will be going through the Jets minds as they approach the draft.

If you take the QB this year it should be because you believe the guy can get on the field this year. Either that or you're planning to let Hack tank you into the #1 by playing most of the year. In the latter case that LT is going to look awfully good next April.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Frankly I don't like the idea of drafting a QB and "redshirting" him, unless you have someone like Brady or an established starter who you figure will be your QB for a couple more years, like they did with Rodgers and Favre. If you're in a situation like the Jets, where you need a QB now, take a guy who you think can play now, or is damn close to it, such that they could play if you needed them to. What do the Jets have to lose? Draft Mahomes and let him compete for the job. If he wins the job, great! If he doesn't, let him continue to learn.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I liked your post, but I'm not totally on board with this part. They might have a plan but I'm not sure how much confidence we can have in it. Despite all the evidence that you can't win in the NFL without top QB play, the plan year 1 was Geno, the plan year 2 was Fitz. I might be swayed more if action was taken to seriously address getting the FQB. So far they have passed on some promising FA possibilities, so that leaves Petty/Hackenberg (not exactly a confidence builder) or the draft. We'll see.

14. NCJetsfan

What promising FA "possibilities" did they pass on? FA QBs are almost never "the answer", they're short term bridge solutions. They haven't been in position to get a topflight QB prospect in the draft.

15. NCJetsfan

I totally disagree. In OTAs and TC, he could clearly show his potential such that they believe he will be the answer at QB. He could do that by showing that he is making progress with his footwork, his accuracy is improving, is making good decisions/reads and is learning the system. He would probably wind up being the scout team QB, and could further show his ability and potential.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Glennon, Foles or even Kaepernick could have filled the FQB need. They are all young enough to still have promising careers and all we're certainly more accomplished than anything on the roster. You don't have to be in position, you can trade up as other teams have done.

Added after thought: Agree it's not the preferred way to get a FQB, but was an option, and the Jets opted to pass.

17. NCJetsfan

Sorry, imo no they couldn't. None have that level of talent. They may have become decent starters, but none of those three players have FQB-level talent/ability. I think few others would agree with you.

xxedge72x and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Remember 2 years ago, Brad Kaaya was the best prospect since Andrew Luck. After his rookie year every "expert" was touting him as a can't miss future FQB. Now he ranks 5-8 in what is perceived as a very weak QB class. Even if Darnold has a good season next year, he could remain in school, or he could show flaws in his game and get picked apart pre draft. The draft is a crap shoot. Especially at QB.

19. Br4d

Next year's draft may be very overhyped right now.

That's still a bad reason to draft a Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder or Matt Leinart level prospect this year. The Jets need to be convinced that one of these guys is the real deal and then have him fall to them to make a QB pick a good pick in what is a weak draft for QB's.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone is calling for them to just draft a QB unless they think he can be the FQB, but if anyone has, I agree with you - if they don't think he can be "the Guy", they should pass. The only exception to that would be if they think they're planning on dropping Petty and are looking to find someone to fill his spot - unlikely since at least Petty knows the system already.