Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. ImNotTimid

ImNotTimid Member

I've been pounding the drums for Mahomes for about a month, not necessarily here. Yes the Jets have a bad habit of collecting worthless QB's - no doubt. 6 overall is too high, even though I see the distinct possibility that Mahomes will climb into to 1st rd. So should he be projected to be 1st round worthy, I trade down from 6 and get the ammo to move up (using our 2nd and the pk additional pk we get in the trade down) to jump over KC at the bottom of the 1st to grab him. QB of the near future is finally secured. I feel that KC is well stocked almost everywhere and may be looking to draft Alex Smith's successor. That's why I jump them.

Big Cat likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He essentially doesn't have any footwork or any want to take a correct drop. He sort of floats backwards and around the pocket and then just wings the ball out there, as you said, off a back foot or shuffling feet.

Throwers like that get picked off a ton. He also has a long ass release.

The arm talent is there, but I can't see us taking a third straight project, especially with him likely being drafted in the second or third round.

It'll be interesting to see what this kid turns into.

alleycat9 and Big Cat like this.
  3. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

He definitely needs to go to a team where he will be able to sit and learn. I think the best way to describe the way he plays right now is backyard football.

Big Cat and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would take him. Has a great arm and made some unbelievable throws. He's always looking downfield. I also like his foot work kinda reminds me of Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers.

5. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

This is the kind of pick u make with a comp pick or an extra 2nd/3rd rounder picked up in a trade.

the footwork doesn't bother me much - as long as its in sync with the release (see marino)

6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Something tells me this kid is going to be sprinting up the draft boards. No problem taking another project QB, but I think it will be difficult for Mac because it would mean either Petty or Hack is gone and his pride will want to keep Hack and his head will be to keep Petty.

7. ImNotTimid

ImNotTimid Member

Niether Hack or Petty will ever be a legit starter. cut your losses. This kid Mahomes might only need a 1/2 year to learn. Even if he needs a whole year I say he's worth it. Jets are not contending next year anyway. reality

Matty Jets likes this.
  8. ImNotTimid

ImNotTimid Member

too many qb's are force fed into starting too soon these days. for every Prescott there's dozens who need nurturing. GM's are under so much pressure they make rash decisions and often ruin a kid's future.

nycarl and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

watch the browns take him.

10. ImNotTimid

ImNotTimid Member

that wouldn't surprise me at all. I like Mahomes better than Kizer and Watson, they probably will too by April

11. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind taking Hooker with the #1 and Mahomes with the 2nd rounder. Go with Petty vs Hack vs Mahomes for the season. If one of the youngins emerges we're in a good spot. If they all fail, we take Rosen or Darnold in 2018.

12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I watched his absurd 800 yard game or whatever, but honestly....came away kind of unimpressed. Even with the huge stat line, he didn't do a whole ton that jumped off the screen. Yeah he's draftable, but I can't see him being anything special.

13. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I like Mahomes potential, but I liked Petty and Hack's potential too. Much rather wait for the better raw material next year in Josh Allen to develop his decision making or the complete package in Darnold.

Not to mention over the last half of the season, Mason Rudolph has looked like a better QB than anyone in this years draft.

Next year is the better year, Trubisky is the only guy I'd sniff in this draft and I'd prefer if he get another year in the college ranks as well.

14. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I have no faith in us being able to develop a young QB. Until we're in a position to draft the next can't-miss, Andrew Luck level prospect, I'm not letting myself get excited about any young QB on this team.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Completely understandable. Why should we have faith that they can do it until they actually prove that they can?

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that particular throw you mention would've been picked off by any NFL corner. It was a high sailing softball. the oklahoma corner needed to turn his head around.

I'll check him out more though. He seems like an interesting prospect. I always like players that have fathers that played pro sports, they know more what its like to be a pro

17. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

He's an interesting candidate but his mechanics are inconsistent, and will probably need to sit for a year or 2 so a coach can fix his footwork. If he can fix his footwork, he can be a very interesting QB at the pro level. He's accurate, and makes a lot of correct reads. I don't know if he's worth a first round pick, but in the 2nd I can see a team drafting him early and stashing him for a year or two to fix his mechanics. He has a lot of magic to his game, for lack of a better term.

Found a scouting breakdown of him

18. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

a little off topic but it really frustrates me to see kids go through as much football as he has without someone fixing him. seeing this sort of stuff tells me that they did not do their job at tt. they didnt do their job at his high school. these days with all of the ability to go to a coach who can work with kids on mechanics and we still see so many guys that are just terrible at the things all you need to do is be taught about.

its very frustrating for me. this is shit you fix when they are 10 not 21.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with you, but the reality is it's probably not gonna change. Look at it from the HS or college HC's perspective. Their job is to win games, not prepare players for the NFL. They could take a QB like that, try to redshirt them and work on their fundamentals, but wind up not winning nearly as many games and possibly getting fired. The player could also refuse to be redshirted and could transfer elsewhere. The sad truth is that even flawed, those players can help their teams win a LOT of games in HS and college and make their HCs look great.

These days, it's up to the parents (if they have the money) to get their sons into football camps, QB camps, or pay for private work with a QB guru during the summer. In HS, the kid could conceivably work with a guru if one lived nearby as I don't think high schools have spring football practice yet (but they may). In college, it would have to be during the summer only. Even then, look at what happened to Hack. His footwork fundamentals needed cleaning up and O'Brien helped him, but then left after Hack's freshman year. Franklin came in and insisted that Hack change his footwork to fit his offense, which went the opposite direction of what Hack needed for the NFL.

The only way I could see things changing is if somehow it was mandated that all high schools and colleges HAD to play a traditional NFL style offense, but even then there's a fairly wide variety.

#39 NCJetsfan, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    alleycat9 likes this.
  20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i think we may have gone down this road a little before, i dont know the footwork intricacies of an nfl offense, but even in a spread offense the footwork should be fairly similar. although from a shotgun rather than under center. holding the ball properly and having a quick release are really fundamental things. for me as a coach its in my best interest to work with the field general on my team to do things that will help him so that he can help my team.

ill just never understand it, i can get him getting through one level. i can get him even getting through high school but at some point prior to an nfl team somebody has to teach these damn guys the fundamentals of hte position.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.