Pat Mahomes

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Jan 4, 2017.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I can definitely dig that.

njjets93 likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kizer has his faults. I'm not a big fan of his either.

In terms of bad games I actually prefer to see QBs have bad games. Lets you know people actually play defense in their conference and it gives you a chance to see, among other things, where their faults are and how they respond. Kizer, for example, the NC State game was literally in a hurricane and Stanford has a great defense always.

But the Mahomes Iowa St. game, that's different. That's Geno Smith's Syracuse bowl game. You have a QB comfortable in their Aid Raid one-read offense, not really challenged all year against base defenses until a team decides to play them more like an NFL defense schematically and test their ability to read defenses and they don't just struggle they FALL apart. that is a red flag game

3. njjets93

njjets93 Active Member

Browning I am not sure I get your last point. Mahomes out of necessity passed for 734 yards and 5 tds against Oklahoma. The same OU team that beat Auburn in its bowl game. He put up big numbers against OK. ST. , Baylor, and just about every D he faced. Outside of the ISU game his lowest QB rating was like 117 vs. TCU. Put Mahomes on USC or another "name" program and surround him with 4/5 star players and he would have been the #1 pick. Look where he is now as far the draft is concerned and he was surrounded with very little help.

Time will tell who was right on these prospects but I am sure we both hope the Jets get lucky and add some quality players in the upcoming draft.

4. Yes the Air rade has typically been a 1 read system that emphasizes getting rid of the ball quickly...and Mahomes did do alot of that & did it very well but for a few exceptions. To your point...the Jets need to spend significant time on the chalk board & talking through some of the rough patches you alluded to before moving forward. If he can't diagnose & dissect certain defensive looks...then yeah...he's more of a project than the Jets are equipped to take on at this juncture.

But I don't think that's the reason why so many..myself included are sold on the kid. For one...he makes many 2nd & even 3rd reads both downfield & on checkdowns. We haven't been accustomed to seeing that really ever at TTU. The CS clearly understood what they had w. Mahomes & used it to their advantage. The guy just has the "It" factor in terms of command of the huddle, awareness of his surrounding cast at all times, threading the needle on deep ins as well as over the top & some of the best pocket presence/mobility we've seen in a very long time. Even when rushers DID get to him....they could not bring him down due to his lower body strength, lateral movement...and quick release. For a high octane offense predicated mainly on scheme/mobile OL/boundary talent Mahomes was easily the best player on their O & carried that team in every facet imaginable.

Additionally I don't see the 1 read stuff as that much of a detriment due to the fact that the game has gone so much to "Check with me" at the line..1 read stuff any way. In fact...many pointed to the Jets drafting Hack last year for that very reason. His freshman year under Obrien..he executed alot of that type of stuff...which reportedly was one of the things that attracted the Jets to select him. As long as he displays the ability to progress through reads..and make the proper throw accurately...which he has..then perhaps you don't worry so much about that aspect.

What's my biggest concern if any w. selecting him? Same thing as Hack although nowhere NEAR as acute: Footwork & ball placement. It's hard to say anything about his dropback mechanics b.c he essentially was free to do whatever he wanted in that regard...the ball placement issue is more superficial than anything else...yeah he gets in trouble w. some gambles down field...and could use alittle more "top" on his throws...but the guy can clearly thread the needle on a dime. He fit perfectly in that TTU program where they almost always have boundary players w. great catching radius...again..not really a deal breaker as the Jets need a QB who they can build an offense around anyway. Plenty of catching radius types coming out nowadays.

It all goes back to the chalkboard & talking through the film. Was he lost against those D's mentally? Was he personally overmatched? Or was it over matched by association?

njjets93 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just because there hasn't been an Air Raid QB that's made it in the NFL before doesn't mean that there never will be. For one thing, most, if not all, of the previous Air Raid QBs had rag arms. They couldn't even approach Mahomes arm strength, accuracy, play-making ability, or athleticism.

On one hand, I don't think the Jets should carry 4 QBs again this season, but if Mahomes is sitting there at the Jets' compensatory pick at the bottom of the 3rd round, I want them to pounce. If he's still sitting there in the 5th round, 4 QBs be damned, they'd better take him.

Talentwise, Trubisky isn't even a scab on Mahomes ass.

6. NCJetsfan

Agreed, but it isn't the system. I can't think of a single other Air Raid QB that has had the arm strength, accuracy, play-making ability or athleticism that Mahomes has.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

You need to get your vision checked.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Mahomes didn't start for just one year.

9. NCJetsfan

True, but look at Mahomes' stats from his freshman year to junior year. His completion percentage improved, his yards per attempt improved, his TD to Interception improved. He improved in every category.

xxedge72x likes this.
  10. It's one thing to be skeptical of the guy given what system he played in...that's all well & good. It's another to just completely dismiss the guy solely BECAUSE of the offense he played. I mean at the end of the day he wasn't playing in the "T" or wishbone...he did have to make reads...and make division 1 level throws against fierce competition.

As for this "name one Air raid QB that has had success"...well didn't people say the same thing about Aaron Rodgers coming out of the Jeff Tedford system? Kyle Boller,Patrick Ramsey,etc.

Hell..most of the NFL offenses are becoming sophisticated versions of the air raid anyway. Plays under center have become less & less utilized..we're seeing more pre snap determinations on where the ball is going, more spreading of the field..and obviously more shotgun. When you look at the college game..it's pretty much all quick read/spreads...w. the exception of a handful of holdovers. I dunno about the rest of you...but I'd prefer to not have my QB talent pool limited to 15-20 schools. Scouts & personnel are paid to project...you don't avoid a guy just cause you don't like how his coach drew up X's & O's.

It comes down to getting to know the player,studying the player...understanding what the Air raid conceals in terms of weaknesses...and honing in on that portion of the evaluation. What does the Air raid typically conceal? Most typically arm strength,progressions,drop backs, & tight throws. After studying Mahomes 3/4 concerns are quite quickly removed from the equation. That leaves drop backs as the one remaining concern..that's what private workouts are for.

Anyone who gives serious credence to studying him.. will quickly see that he is very different than the typical "Air raid" QB prospect we have come to know. He's more than a game manager w. plus size,quick release & quality production. This guy has fantastic football instincts, a flare for the dramatic & his pocket presence is off the charts.

11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Please define fierce competition.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Look, the better QB class is clearly 2018

But stop the whining and splitting hairs and take this kid third round this year..no problem

Sleeper pick

jmho

13. NCJetsfan

Great post!

14. Arizona State,West Virginia,Kansas State,Oklahoma,TCU,Texas,OK state, & Baylor.

I'm not gonna say he faced defensive juggernauts..clearly not the case..but he wasn't facing Prairie View A&M either. The Big 12 has above average level D1 talent on both sides of the ball including a decent amount of NFL caliber & quite typically quality coaching.

I'm willing to admit I'm alittle bias b.c I have strong conviction for him. I like him better than any other QB in this draft.I went into things just as skeptical as every one else. I've never been keen on any TTU QBV much less a guy being considered as a 1st rounder. But I came away thoroughly convinced in his skillset & his "IT" factor.

His success will depend on where he goes. Could he have success w. the Jets? In most cases involving a QB..we'd like to think..NO. But I think it might be different this time around. Why? Mahomes needs to go somewhere where the offense can be catered at least early..to his skillset. Currently the Jets are at square 1 offensively w. a brand new coordinator who is supposively willing to cater a system to the weapons at his disposal.They are in a very good position to bring in a new flavor to build around.

Right off the bat he needs guys w. good catching radius who can run quality Deep curls & comebacks.Enunwa & Peake both are offer those type of qualities & Robbie Anderson is no slouch in that Dept. either. There's concern over the OL's transition period & a young QB being able to stay upright...well rest assured this guy knows how to avoid sacks extremely well....from a college perspective every bit as good at it as Roethlisberger.

#274 KurtTheJetsFan, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's good analysis of Mahomes:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ort-patrick-mahomes-ii-the-double-edged-sword

One of the comments in there really bears underscoring:

"You can teach footwork but you can’t the ability to throw a touch pass off your back foot into a tight window. That’s something you either learned at a young age or it was gifted to you at birth."

To me, this is what sets Mahomes apart, and why I think he's worth the risk. Aside from the fact that the evaluator points out how Mahomes actually does go through multiple reads, and looks off defenders, and makes adjustments based on what the defense is showing - all things that his detractors say he can't do - he does things that very, VERY, few QBs can do because of his natural gifts, and these can't be taught, whereas the other things can be.

Yes, he is a gamble, but given his potential, one worth taking IMO.

NCJetsfan and xxedge72x like this.
  16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Agreed. If nothing else he's the most naturally talented QB this year. I wouldn't take him at 6, but in a trade down I'd absolutely take him. Even as high as 12. Give me Mahomes and another 2nd round pick and I'd say that's a better haul than staying at 6.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

you do realize that his form is complete dog shit on each of those throws? and that nfl cbs will eat him up if he throws the ball like that?

joe likes this.
  18. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I'm vehemently opposed to taking him in the first round.

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Totally. NFL CBs are all 7'5" with gorilla wing spans. No one is getting a hand on any of those balls.

20. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

And if "dog shit" form gets you to throw with that kind of precision then maybe we should start training Hackenberg with dog shit

xxedge72x and njjets93 like this.