Past Drafts

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Casey06, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Casey06

Casey06 New Member

Out of the Last 5 Drafts what do you think was the dumbest thing the Jets did?

My pick is 2002 Bryan Thomas @ 22 and passing up on Ed Reed #24 & Jerramy Stevens @ #28. Remember this was 2 years after Ellis and John.

2. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

i dont know why they drafted him with abe and ellis on the roster.. or was this when they tried to move ellis to dt..?

3. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

It was the same draft they tried to move Ellis inside...

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

but it made no sense to draft our 3rd DE in the 1st round in 3 seasons. especially with Ed Reed available, who I like many others really wanted at the time

5. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Oh, don't get me wrong... I agree 1000 percent, but it explains some of the reasoning with the BT pick.

Ellis

6. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Lets see,

-Trading 3 picks for the 4th pick and then drafting Dewayne Robertson

-Bryan Thomas

-Doug Jolley trade

-Taking a kicker in the 2nd round (basically saying that the team was ready to compete for the superbowl)

-Santana Moss in the first round

-Lamont Jordan in the 2nd round

-Victor Hobson in the 2nd round

-BJ Askew in the third round

-John Mcgraw.

I'll just stop now.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Don't forget the J-Mac trade.

8. Ellis moving inside was the previous season before he was chosen. The beginning of that season our starting D-line was: Abe/Ellis/Barndt/ Burnton

BT was supposed to be our "situational pass rusher" to replace Ellis on 3rd down/passing downs. Only problem is, BT turned out to be more of a run defender and it took him far too long to develop into a good one.

9. The J-mac trade was an example of Herm/Bradway being afraid/incapable of developing rookie offensive players. There were so many good WR's coming out of that draft: Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, etc. And we were pinpointed to select one of them.

But Bradway decided J-mac was a safer bet due to his above average season in Tennesee. I dont think J-mac is as bad as he's made out to be...but he certainly wasnt the "answer" he was pended to be to our passing woes. And he's not worth the amount we are paying him.

10. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I still like that trade. Once we get a QB to throw him the ball he is going to be a good one. Last year he had some nagging injuries, but still played. I give him alot of credit.

Alot of people bitch and moan about his drops, but before this season (Where he was hurt, playing for a 4-12 team AND had Brooks throwing him passes.), but do you ever remember him dropping passes at all in 2004? In fact I probably would have said he had the best hands on the team after that season.

He is going to rebound and everybody will love him.

11. Chadwick I

Chadwick I Member

I hate how a guy can either be a god or stink to high heaven. Some people need to learn that there is more to a player than two extremes.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

None of these picks were really that bad at the time. Askew was a RB/FB and was going to compliment Martin as well as give Sowell/Anderson a breather.

Hobson was a monster out of college only we used him incorrectly. He's much more suited to play ILB than outside.

LaMont Jordan was supposed to be Martin's replacement but Curtis lasted longer than we expected and of course we had coordinator and coaches who didn't believe in starting talent over experience.

Santana Moss was great at Miami and we needed a playmaker. By no means was it a bad pick, but we should've used a better offense in the upcoming years to adjust to his abilities.

We actually needed a defensive tackle too and DeWayne really has one more year left to prove himself. We gave up too much, yes, but the reasoning behind the pick wasn't bad. He was hyped up to be Baby Sapp.