Only one in 2017?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by AJT73, Apr 27, 2017.

1. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Will this be the only time in 2017 Jet fans are excited about football? I'll be excited when training camp opens and the start of the season, but I think today will be the most exciting day of the 2017 season for me.

2. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Keeping the season in perspective:

We are going to have A LOT of young guys playing, so I think if you can sit back and analyze young players in 2017 with the future in sight, it can be exciting.

Not "playoff" exciting, but in a more reserved kind of way

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If the Jets land Patrick Mahomes today, I'll be excited for months about our new franchise QB.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. STARoSCREAM

no way do they take Mahomes at 6

5. xxedge72x

I'd much prefer to get him after a trade down, but honestly, if they believe in him enough to take him at 6, I'll still be excited. Maybe even more so considering the belief would have to be astronomical to make that selection.

6. STARoSCREAM

While I do understand the concept of "if you believe he is your franchise quarterback, you take him", I Also believe that tape shows more than combine/pro day and all of that

I just dont think he will transition well to the NFL, and if the take him at 6 they BETTER be expecting to play him week 1

BomberJet likes this.
  7. xxedge72x

What's wrong with his tape exactly? He's not a combine warrior. The only knock against him is the system he came from and it's been demonstrated that he's employed advance concepts that other QBs have not, including Trubisky.

8. STARoSCREAM

I'm not saying he CAN"T transition, I'm saying it's unlikely. And when they can get a impact player at 6, you don't take someone as risky as him.

Remember he started as a 2nd round grade at best after the college season ended and over analysis had him creeping up boards

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I agree. I look forward to seeing the young players but tonight will probably be the most exciting night of the season. Axious to see who we get if we make a trade etc.

10. xxedge72x

Don't take this as being aggressive / argumentative, but I don't really care what the mocks have said.

I've spent an awful lot of time researching this kid (and the other QBs as well); I'm no scout but from all the information I'm taking in, I'm convinced he's the player that's right for this team in their quest to emerge from the basement of the NFL.

Again, the only risk with him is the offense he comes from, and again, there is plenty of evidence mitigating that risk. He reads defenses, he calls his own plays at times, he's able to look off defenders and go through progressions, he's able to keep a play alive long enough to find an open target and is superior to most QBs in that regard, he can run when necessary but it isn't his first instinct which is also a positive attribute, he can throw the ball with incredible power from very awkward positions thanks to his baseball experience. He's been around professional athletes his entire life and will have an advantage in terms of knowing what it takes to succeed in a professional sport. Good humble kid, leader on the field, holds his players accountable, makes everyone around him better.

When I weigh all those things vs the fact that he's been mocked in the second round, I'm not that concerned.

11. STARoSCREAM

no worries, I don't offend easily, and appreciate an intellectual conversation

He may be the real deal, but i don't want to fall into the black-hole of the Cleveland Browns (brown-hole, if you will ;)) and reach every year (Hack) and miss on getting impact players, like Howard or Adams or core players in round 2-4 and waste draft picks.

12. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I'm a Jets fan, I have low expectations ingrained into me.

Peebag and Jay Bizniss like this.
  13. xxedge72x

I totally understand that viewpoint. All I'd say is that QB is not alone when it comes to first round busts. It's definitely fair to say that Howard and Adams are safer picks than Mahomes, but I think Mahomes offers greater opportunity than anyone in the draft to be a player the entire team can build around.

Ultimately what I think doesn't matter, but if I'm putting my money where my mouth is, I'm shooting for the sun and taking the guy I believe can be the lynchpin for turning the entire franchise around, and that's Mahomes.

14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I think at 6 Mahomes is too early. If we can trade with the Browns and pick up more picks I think at 12 Mahomes or Watson would be worth picking and seeing if we catch lightning in a bottle. I think the Jets are boring tonight and stay at 6. I think day two is when the Jets make trades. Maybe not in the second but definitely in the third.

15. STARoSCREAM

can't be mad at you for going with your gut.

I personally am pulling for Howard, as we have not drafted a 1st round TE since :mad: Kyle Brady?!

And I feel like we can use a legit over the middle threat/mismatch to give Hack a legit target to see if he can sink or swim.

16. xxedge72x

If we end up with Howard I definitely wouldn't be mad. He's a great prospect and is going to make some team very happy.

17. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Kyle Brady and Johnny Mitchell are the reasons Howard scares me.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  18. STARoSCREAM

ha, I think most of us are traumatized for at least one position the Jets have bombed on multiple times

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

What does Kyle Brady or Johnny Mitchell have to do with Howard?

Leicester Jet and Jets_Grinch like this.
  20. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Potential 1st round bust and the teams history for finding impact TE's from any source...recalling the Doug Jolly fiasco...

NCJetsfan and kevda5n9ne like this.