Once and for all Hack poll.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Will Hackenberg become a top 15 starting QB in the NFL

1. Hell no he sucks.

2. Yes I have faith in Hack.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Once again, just ignore what the coaching staff said what the plan was all along.

Carson Palmer sat behind Jon Kitna, Phillip Rivers sat, there are many other, some that I already mentioned. Rodgers has said that sitting was very helpful to him and thinks it could be helpful to many of the other QBs that they are rushing in.
    Mark Sanchez started, Geno Smith started, how did that work out?

2. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

So you have faith in the QB coach developing Hack?
    Palmer was Kitna's replacement
    Rivers was Brees.
    Rodger's got better by playing, not sitting.
    Nacho and Geno played for Rex and his wonderful QB whisperers.
    Nacho had most of the people on this board calling him "Sanchise" in his first couple years. He was surrounded by a ton of talent compared to Geno, that's why his inabilities were not such a problem.
    Dan Marino started out of the gate, how did that work out? Peyton Manning started out rough, how bout him? Tom Brady wasn't coddled, had to wait his turn which was a big suprize to him considering the injury to Bledsoe. Him?
    I'm not ignoring the "Plan", I watched it play out. Him holding a clipboard all year did absolutely nothing for his development. The guy didn't even get reps with an NFL first team offense. How does doing nothing help anyone with anything? It doesnt

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

When you say "sat behind", in most cases that means while they didn't start, they did get significant practice reps and maybe even got to play if there were injuries or "scrub time". In this sense, Hack isn't just "sitting behind", he's under house arrest.

And yeah, maybe he is nowhere near ready to play, but that means using a 2nd round pick on him was nuts. Did Macc REALLY think that Fitz was going to be a quality starter for the several years it will apparently take Hack to become even capable of entering a game? If so, that was a terrible miscalculation. And if he didn't think Fitz would buy him time for his "prodigy" Hack, who did he think would fill that role - Geno? Petty? Seriously???

As the late, great Branch Rickey said: "Luck - (GOOD and BAD) - is the residue of design", and judging from the shambles of their QB situation, Macc's "design" has to be questioned.

boozer32 and tbruner12 like this.
  4. tbruner12

Killer post!!
    House arrest!!! Funny as hell!!!! Lol
    The Hack fans simply refuse to see the situation for what it is. All about the "Plan", but can't explain it further than that's what was intended from the beginning. What steps are in this "Plan" to get him under center before year 5? Build the team up around him, have All-Pros at every position, before he takes a practice snap?
    Work on his mechanics..... Bullshit.
    If his footwork is so bad that they have to work for a year, who in the hell have the ok to get him in round 2? Footwork is critical in throwing, I know for a fact in baseball for accuracy. In football footwork is more in the pocket and drop backs. He isn't having to throw strikes into a 3X3 window, unless of coarse he is forcing shit into tight windows, which isn't like being a pitcher and in football is a mistake unless you are Brady or Rodgers. Hack is not.
    Give him time to be comfy, and stress free, because of the mental abuse in college? The team who was top 10 in the polls, the year after he left? He needs a year to learn the playbook? Now we have a new playbook, you think he will have it down pat by the 2018 draft?
    I just can't understand why these so called JETS fans have so much faith and hope in a QB this terrible?
    I want every JETS player to be awesome for the sake of the team.
    If they suck or can't do the job, why the attachment? Move on to the next guy.
    Man crush? Most likely it's the so called QB whisperers on the board who believe they can fix him.
    I would like to see that scenario.....New York Post headlines:
    "Self proclaimed QB guru off of the Gang Green message board helps JETS to the Super Bowl, with massive overhaul of Hacks individual woes!"
    Headlines will probably read like this in a couple years.... "Jets release former 2nd round pick"
    Again, I hope he cuts a deal with the devil himself and leads us to a dynasty, but it looks bleak. Very bleak

boozer32 and BrowningNagle like this.
  5. The Waterboy

So now it is several years when for the last few pages of this and another Hack thread people were questioning why he wasn't started last year.

Reports after the draft was they would redshirt him for the year, reports now is he will be in competition for the QB1. That seems like the coaching staff is doing what they said they would do, sit him a year till they had a chance to work on his footwork/mechanics and then see what he can do.

You now make up this scenario that he is several years away from being ready and throw in a useless quote for good measure.
    You and tbruner, yep you are made for each other.

FJF likes this.
  6. Brandon Moore's Butt

Brandon Moore's Butt Active Member

The Jets have turned me too cynical at this point to actually believe that any given QB will be 'the guy' until I actually see it occur.

I started as a Mulder, but ended up a Scully.

tbruner12 and boozer32 like this.
  7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I voted no, but I don't think he will necessarily suck, I just haven't seen anything out of him that says he will be good. Watched him quite a bit in college and didn't come away that impressed. Hopefully he can get better but I need to see evidence first.

tbruner12 and boozer32 like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That's true if you are consistently in the playoff hunt sometimes things go your way. That is the Steelers legacy. They are able to fill holes and compete every year. It helps when you have franchise QB for a decade or more. Macc has to get this QB situation fixed or everything else is window dressing.

#88 boozer32, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    tbruner12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yes very bleak. You summed it up perfectly. First it was the system change at Penn St, then the accuracy and his footwork. What will be the spin this year from the Jets brass? He will have another system to learn like you stated. Plus the added pressure of people calling for him to do something other than hold a clipboard. All I remember from the preseason is him trying to throw a underhanded pass. That made me have nightmares.

#89 boozer32, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    tbruner12 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

Yeah, several years, based on the "time table" you and the other Hack defenders have talked about. In earlier posts you said how he was always going to sit a year at least, and we shouldn't expect him to do much more than get some more reps and practice time this season. Sure, he might be allowed to compete in TC, but "realistically" he's not going to be ready to play this year unless maybe if the Jets are out of it by mid-season. So, you take last year, his "redshirt year", and this year as he continues to try and regain whatever skills he lost through the trauma at Penn State, and then MAYBE in his 3rd year he MIGHT be able to win the starting job. That's several years, and that's optimistic. Now all of a sudden he's going to be allowed to compete for the starting job. Well that's GREAT! Really! But how did he go from not being allowed to even get into live action a few months ago, to competing for the job? What miracle transformation took place? Because if there was no miracle transformation, then it means he's actually closer to ready, and that begs the question: Why the hell didn't he start the last game?

You can't have it both ways. Either he's too raw and broken to risk putting in a game, or he's good enough to compete for the starting job. Which is it? As a Jets fan I sure hop[e it's the latter, but how did that "all of a sudden" happen when he hasn't played a down in a real game? I'm going to remain skeptical until I see it with my own eyes.

The only reason I can see for him NOW being allowed to compete for the job is that they've realized how screwed up they've made the situation, and it has created a sense of desperation. It's not because he somehow became "transformed", but because they have no other choice, and that gets back to poor planning on the part of Macc and Bowles. The good news is that desperation can sometimes breed greatness, so we can hold out hope that it happens now.

tbruner12 likes this.
  11. tbruner12

As fans we are getting the QB run around. The plan was for Fitz to back up or compete with Geno, with a draft pick as the #3, year one of this regime. Luck struck Fitz for 15 games and then he shit the bed. Geno and Petty watched all season, and the Fitz contract debacle happened. The regime reached in an attempt to push Fitz's contract hand by selecting a QB with its 2nd round pick. Come to find out this QB won't be able to start before the rapture, Fitz signed late for the money he wanted, not what the team offered, and we held 4 QB's all season which was a joke considering all the holes this team had. Every QB got a chance, except for the one waiting on rapture. Mac, Bowles, and Hack hid behind the clipboard all season.
    Fitz walked, Geno ran, and we reach for Josh McCown as our 2017 starter.
    There is still the question of whether we will draft another QB this season to solve the riddle of who can lead this team on an offensive drive for a touchdown first?
    It may sound crazy, I've said it before, Management reached high to get Hack to push Fitz on his contract.
    Think about why they picked this work in progress in the 2nd? Potential? Look at his college stats, Petty put him to shame. His only good season, he completed 91 out of 231 passes to Allen Robinson. So in his good year, a WR packed his ass.
    His completion % is low every year.
    His yardage is mediocre. He can't run or avoid tacklers. There is a reason Franklin put restraints on Quack. Franklin won without him.
    O'Brien didn't reach for him, and sure as hell hasn't reached out for him since.
    Maybe if Robinson played in Houston, O'Brien would give the Jets brass a call.
    All this crap about ceilings and potential don't mean squat. You can either play or you can't. I can't wait till this kid is thrown on the field as well oiled as he can be.
    Management has done nothing but make our QB situation a total mess. What makes all the QB whisperers think these same people will fix Hack? Again, the same ones who say we don't know shit about football or QB's, are the ones putting faith in these people to fix Hack. Lol

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. tbruner12

X 1,000!
    You killed it.

13. ColoradoContrails

This sums up my anger at MANAGEMENT, not Hack. I hope the kid proves me wrong, and I hope he has a long and illustrious career, but it will be IN SPITE of what management did.

I think you're absolutely right that the Jets took Hack to put pressure on Fitz, but that didn't work, probably because Fitz had seen Hack play and knew he was no threat. And whose idea was it to sign Fitz? I doubt it was Macc, but was probably Bowles whispering in Woody's ear that he needed Fitz, so the Jets caved instead of Fitz, and look what happened.

So my anger and frustration is centered on teh FO which is still intact, and I see no signs yet that they get it.

tbruner12 likes this.
  14. tbruner12

It's easy to get on the Internet and watch Hack in college. How these Hack proponents can argue for him, come up with all these lame excuses, with film out there to look at?
    I understand that there is a half empty, half full, divide. Proof is in the pudding. You can either be a star or you can't. You can play good or bad.
    If his past games are any indicator, he will mostly play bad, and won't be a star. It shouldn't take 3-5 years to figure it out. I guess some on this board want to believe that they have superior knowledge, with nothing to lose until all the time has past and their QB doesn't pan out. I was flamed by many when I said Mark Nacho Sanchez wouldn't pan out.
    I was flamed when I said he held us back. There was once a tarheel fan on this board who argued with me to no end about Nacho. He eventually changed his board name.
    Not that I have a special QB recognition superpower. It's simple.... If it looks like shit, acts like shit, smells like shit, it's probably shit. I'm not the one trying to reinvent the wheel here. "Hack fan boys" are.
    Waiting for 5 years, while the fan boys make 5 years worth of excuses and pointless arguments, while calling others mentally challenged, or football deficient, is dumb.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. tbruner12

It's nothing personal toward hack on my part either. I'm sure his paycheck was bigger being a 2nd instead of an UDFA. He had no reason to be on our team last year. Some other player at some other position did. Management, or should I say mismanagement gave Hack to us.
    He was real helpful last year, will be real helpful this year, and the next, next, etc..... I don't see much in Hack. He isn't a future Jet, from this point in time. His drafting hurt our team last year. Like you, I'm pissed at management for his selection.
    I would love for people to be able to laugh at me for my forethought about Hack, and him win us a Super Bowl or two. I've played, coached, and watched football long enough to know....... I just don't see a good future for Hack on our team.
    The Hack people can't see the forest for all the trees, IMO

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  16. tbruner12

I was skeptical of Fitz, the moment we first signed him. We did have a good year. 10-6 is good, but not good enough. He set records..... Whoopie! We missed the playoffs. We would have been better off playing Geno. At least he may have elevated his game. It would have been the most talent on the team since he had became a Jet. Now we got a hurt Petty, McCown our starter, and a clipboard holder. Future looks bright, huh?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. The Waterboy

Have it both ways? All I have been saying this whole time is the coaching staff wanted him to sit a year so they could work with him in the off season. They are now saying he will compete this year.
    I am not even saying whether he is going to be great or be a bust, just that people questioning the coaching staff decision to sit him for the year are wrong, that is what was said would happen all along.

On the other side we have a bunch of arm chair prognosticators, who want to act like they are some coaching gurus that know more than the people that do it for a living. In no way am I saying team decisions shouldn't be questioned but when something as clear cut as a player sitting, when it was said all along that he would sit, there really is nothing to discuss.

If you want to dissect the pick, fine. Just don't use the fact that he sat as the main point of your argument. And using the fact I said, or quoted others as saying, a year or longer to then stretch it to several years is a weak justification if I ever saw one. Might as well just say it will be 30 years since I said a year or longer.

18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jet fans be like:

"Mark Sanchez and Geno Smiff need to sitz!!!!!! They aren't ready to play!!!!!"

Then go around and say:

"Hack fucking sucks man!!!! why won't they play this bum; yeah coaching staff said they wouldn't play him, but throw him into the fire anyway, who cares if he's not ready!!!!"

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Okay, so what exactly does "a year of longer" mean, if not several years? And no it's NOT the same as saying "it will be 30 years or longer".

I've freely admitted that I'm no expert, and have no special knowledge or information that makes my observations correct. I'm simply commenting on what I see from my POV and post it, to see how that POV stacks up with others. Sometimes people agree with it, or I with theirs; sometimes people disagree and even show me where I'm wrong.

In this particular case what I've seen is that Macc drafted a guy who was a project. And if we accept that Macc was hired for his talent evaluations and drafting expertise as was said at the time of his hiring, then he had to know that Hack was a project. Does it really make sense, when you have no better starter signed, to use the 2nd pick on such a player? But he goes ahead and takes him, and then wakes up and realizes "Oh shit! What have I done?" and then has no other real choice but to sign Fitz to a ridiculous contract and pray that Fitz's Wonder Year wasn't a fluke. OOPS! Meanwhile the reports are that Hack is worse than everyone thought, and this is supported by the fact that he is never allowed to take any snaps in a real game despite the shambles that the QB situation is. Now of course, I, or anyone not named Bowles or Macc, have no real idea of how prepared Hack is, or if he can even be a pro QB, but in my experience of watching football for over half a century, I've never seen a guy go from "not capable of playing a game, or even a few series" to "Ready to compete for the starting job" from the end of one season to the beginning of the next. This is what makes me question the Jets ability to judge players, in particular, QBs. If your faith is stronger than that, great,and I even hope that you're right, but you questioned my reasons for doubting Macc's and Bowles's judgment, and that's my answer

20. The Waterboy

What does a year or longer mean?

Well if you look at many posts of mine it is a year with them then working on his mechanics in the off season and him competing for the starting job in his second season. And this is not even me claiming he will be the guy, just that the staff said he was going to sit for a year so I'm not ready to make proclamations that he is going to be great or terrible before that time passes.

If you look at your post, a year of longer is, Fitz being around for 3 years of Hacks time here before Hack even thinks about getting in a game.

And then you go back to thinking that because Hack didn't see any game time during the season, that this somehow supports your thinking that he will never amount to anything. You question Mac and Bowles judgement because they sat the QB for a year after saying they would sit the QB for a year, that is what makes no sense.

I don't have blind faith in them, I was just waiting out the year to see what they do with him, then I will make my own judgement, not that it means anything. I guess I just don't feel the need to name off 5 different QBs every draft that I say are going to be great, or go on and on about how terrible a player will be before he even has a chance, just so I can bump the thread 2 years later to say, I told ya so.

FJF likes this.