Once and for all Hack poll.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NOVAJET, Mar 25, 2017.

?

Will Hackenberg become a top 15 starting QB in the NFL

1. Hell no he sucks.

2. Yes I have faith in Hack.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

I think it was Mostly because everybody jumped off the sinking ship except for Hack.

IMO that shows pretty good character

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Hack has been literally living off of his freshman year at Penn State with Bill O'Brien. It's time for Christian Hackenberg to step up or hit the bricks.

#42 playtowinthegame, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Yes, his mechanics were good freshman year, they changed his footwork for some reason, this effected other aspects of his throwing motion. And after Hack left they got their full complement of scholarships back, im also sure that Franklin also recruited a QB that fit his system. Acting as if Hack was the sole factor in PSU return to a bowl game is just ignoring facts.
    It also helps that they actually lifted the bowl game ban. If you don't think kids that are teens or just out of their teens could have an issue with effort knowing they would not be rewarded with a bowl game at season end, then you never had teens. And before you try and sieze on that statement, i am discussing the team as a whole, not Hack.

Pags2112 likes this.
  4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think he's too stiff in the pocket to succeed in the NFL. He doesn't evade pressure by moving around, and for a huge guy he goes down way too easily at first contact. I think the Temple game is a good indicator for what would've happened if he played in a game last year.

If we can get his feet moving in the pocket, it'll solve the stiffness problem and probably take the accuracy issues with it. If we do that then talk to me.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not true at all. SMH

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Hack was awful that Temple game, but it doesn't take a genius to know that Penn State bought a knife to a gun fight. Check how he played that year in the Bowl Game against Cincy. He was fantastic. Temple has a VERY good defense.

7. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Not much to go off of. The plan was to not play him last year. I'm glad they stuck to their guns. Its very easy to cave.

Gun to my head, I dont think Hackenberg will amount to much. I didnt like him in college, didnt think he should have been selected where he was, and I have little faith he will be the QB of the future.

Having said that, I am hoping to god that I am wrong and he is the guy.

tbruner12 likes this.
  8. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I understand, but even though there were some plays where his o line completely let him down, there were a hefty amount of plays where he didn't even put up a fight trying to escape. Take the sack on the 2 man rush for example. It's easy to say "wow, they couldn't even block 2 guys? Poor Hack". But take a look at that play and tell me an NFL QB wouldve taken a sack there. He either needs the awareness to see the guy coming or just needs to be less stiff in trying to get away, that was pretty pathetic

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

One of their defenders beat one of the lineman so quick it was pitiful and it was 3rd and 15 and they were down by 1 score. Pitiful effort on all sides, I can't disagree with that but the guy was trying to make a play.

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Therein lies one of the main problems when there is a flawed chain-of-command. Any GM with power over his HC would've mandated that Bowles use the time allotted in a down season to evaluate HIS picks. I could understand moreso if Hack was a carryover from a previous regime, he was not, so there needed to be a mandate that Petty starts, Hack backs up, Fitz sits. There was ZERO point in forcing Fitz onto the field after week 6...

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I voted that he will make it.

I mean, if Rocky Balboa could go from chasing chickens and punching slabs of beef to beating 6 or 7 movies worth of guys, winning the Cold War, and possibly defeating cancer, all while never successfully blocking a punch, how can we count anybody out?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Fitz shouldn't have played past week 6, or even been on the roster at all last year yes, but I believe the decision to redshirt Hackenberg last year was shared by both the coaching staff and the general manager. Hack wasn't ready to play in 2016, I believe they knew that when they drafted him. Otherwise the GM wouldn't have given Fitzpatrick $12 million and/or kept 4 QBs on final cut-down day

13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

One thing this thread has provided to be proven more and more of the typical Jet fan that we all come to expect:
    Monday morning quarter backing at it's finest.

The supporters are doing a 'wait & see' approach and not posting just to provide a theory as to what is wrong with Hack.

The haters and detractors are coming out to post all the possible negative bull-ship you can ever imagine, going by so little (Giants pre-season), and heaving out so much negativity.

It's like that movie '!2 Angry Men" when Lee J Cobb was babbling along about why the defendant was guilty and the rest of guys in the room were all turning their backs.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

While I think it's fair to not have much hope in Hack the fact of the matter is none of us have any clue. He could be anything from horrible to great at this point. I have very little faith he will amount to anything but I as I'm sure most others are rooting like hell for him to succeed.

I do think it's hilarious that most of the board acknowledges that both Sanchez and Geno played too soon before they were ready and they flamed out. Now probably the same posters that have criticized the Jets for that are now criticizing the Jets for not playing Hack before he's ready.

hwismer and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  15. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

Not to mention they trashed that crappy "multiple" offense, and hired a new offensive coordinator named Joe Moorhead.

"The Nittany Lions' remarkable run to the Big Ten Championship Game has been fueled in part by a creative offense that utilizes run-pass play options (RPOs). It's led by an aggressive play-caller who's willing to take chances and, in an era of explosive scoring, throw caution to the wind in the name of scoring points."

McSorely is the type of QB needed for that friendly play call RPO system. And the below definitely helped, "Giant Flash Cards", Hackenberg thankfully was able to read defenses, went into a huddle and actually had the freedom to change plays himself. The excerpt below describes a trend currently effecting the evaluation of QB's playing under such systems. And again, thankfully Hackenberg wasn't a part of this.

[​IMG]

"These signs are unique to college football. They’re used to help teams run their offenses faster. It eases the mental workload on a quarterback because players can look to the sidelines instead of going into a huddle. They're also used in a lot of concepts that don't require the quarterback to change the call or decipher the complexities of a defense.

The proliferation of the sign is becoming bothersome to some in the NFL. Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider said it’s making it harder to evaluate quarterbacks.

"It’s hard to evaluate those players at the college level when they look over to the sidelines," Schneider said at the NFL Scouting Combine on Thursday. "The cards look like turtles and colors and stuff and you have no idea what they’re doing, as compared to watching a guy under center, reading a defense, checking a play."

Coaches and general managers at the combine seemed more concerned about quarterbacks who relied on cards than those who often run with the ball. Simply looking over at a card eliminates many of the key traits an NFL quarterback has to possess. Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith stressed that card quarterbacks involve much more guesswork.

"I don’t know that they can’t play in our league, but it becomes more of a projection when you’re trying to determine if a guy can go in a huddle, call a play, go to the line of scrimmage, make an adjustment, take a snap, read a coverage and deliver the ball," Smith said.

It can be a touchy subject for quarterbacks because they’re simply operating out of the offense that’s in place at the school. At Baylor, for instance, Bryce Petty rarely had to run through a call or work under center. That changed at the Senior Bowl, where the Tennessee Titans coaching staff made him play from under center and call plays from a huddle.

"You don’t know things until you live it out. You can hear about it as much as you want, but until you’re actually in there and doing it, you have no idea," Petty said. "It’s a learning curve a little bit, going from what we were doing at Baylor to what we’re doing now, but it’s all part of the process."

16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Even though it was planned to keep the guy on ice for the entire season, plans can change and there was good reason to change them in garbage time of the season in garbage time of a couple of games. The team was going nowhere and the guy could have used a few quarters of game speed exposure. Unless he was hopeless in practice the coaching staff lost a two-fisted opportunity to not only expose him to the rigors of the NFL but to evaluate his progress.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. Until he had a chance to fix his fundamentals this offseason, there was zero point in playing him. Nothing would have been learned by him or the Jets. You might as well ask a QB with a bad throwing shoulder to play.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Well, he would have had July to December to work on the fundamentals. A quarter here or there then could have served as a good progress report.

ColoradoContrails and tbruner12 like this.
  19. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

We havent been this divided since.... since geno. Its hard to remember that far back but he sucked. Hack wasnt accurate in college.. he had the worst pre season game the modern world has ever seen, yet we still have those thinking he wasnt a mistake. Hack has the accuracy of tim tebow but hes not nearly as talented. Oh yeah hes gonna be a franchise qb. Barf.

tbruner12 likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You just don't hear about QB losing their accuracy by changes. I could believe in baseball (Steve Blass, Steve Trout) but that was mental had nothing to do with mechanics, change in system or whether you get your bowl games back. He looked awful throwing the ball and I'm guessing it didn't improve once the Jets had him training camp. I don't think he sees the field this year and for that Bowles and Macc will have a ton of splaining to do. There's more going on with this guy than they are letting on.

#60 boozer32, Mar 28, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
    tbruner12 and thankyourevis like this.