Oline help thru the draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Apr 28, 2018.

?

Will Macc upgrade the OLine thru the draft?

1. No... That's what FA's are for.

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  2. Yes... Darnold deserves an upgraded OLine

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. 2019... Perhaps

16 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its getting late. With our 1st and 3rd picks already spent, that leaves us 4 rds to at least attempt to address perhaps our most critical need assuming protecting Darnold (and McCown) is a priority. I can't believe Macc is thinking the OLine as presently constituted is anything other than serviceable.

So the question remains.. Will Macc do everything in his power to upgrade and solidify the OLine thereby protecting his investment at the QB position, or will it be business (defense) as usual. If Macc does go business as usual, I hope Darnold doesn't see the field in 2018. Let McCown/Bridgewater take the ass kickin.

Hopefully in 2019, draft some real talent on the OLine. That's assuming the Jets are serious about developing and protecting Darnold. Then again, given the history of this organization, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they revert back to their comfort zone.

joe and boozer32 like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There are more holes to fill than just on the offensive line. We lost two big pieces of our defensive line so drafting a potential starter in the third round makes more than enough sense. We just traded a good amount for the best quarterback in the draft and the potential franchise guy. You can’t do it all in one year. This is probably why they signed two guys in FA and let the worst piece of the OL walk.

Bottom line is the OL was nowhere near as bad as people want to pretend it was last year and we have no idea what it will be this year. We still need a pass rush, so I personally won’t get all wound up if we take someone that can help us in that area with our 4th round pick. Darnold is 20. He probably won’t play much this year. If he does, a serviceable OL will be there (assuming the on-paper upgrades hold true).

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

There are still some o-linemen left who project as potential starters. I hope they don't ignore the position. It has been ignored for far too long.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Prolly not. Mac doesn't understand the value of the OL and it doesn't matter; Bowles doesn't play young guys. So don't expect to see Darnold til 2020 at the earliest anyway. I hate this team

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I couldn’t imagine hating your team after they landed the best QB in the draft at 3 without having to give up next years first.

K'OB likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We'll take an OL in the sixth round. Some day he might be a good backup.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Maybe we can get Brick to come out of retirement and play LT for a few years.

Cman68 likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If they don't protect and develop that QB, yeah I will hate them...

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The OL is about average, it’s not nearly the death trap a lot of you guys make it out to be. The pass protection was far better than the run blocking. It can certainly stand to be upgraded, just as pretty much every other unit can be as well.

CotcheryFan and Noam like this.
  10. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

The Oline isn’t that bad...we added 2 free agents with ability but injury issues and the starters from last season improved

We still project to have the most money again next offseason so I’m sure we can take 1 or 2 free agent linemen if needed

Still trades, verterans to be cut, etc...not getting any stars in the late rounds anyway

playtowinthegame and CotcheryFan like this.
  11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Winters should be better not having to play with an injury all year. Long should upgrade the center position a lot helping out both Winters and Carpenter. Hopefully Shell can make strides and Beachum is a serviceable stop gap option until we get a replacement For Brick. Certainly it has to be better than last year. OL is a position that coaching can upgrade it substantially. I guess we will see the effect of Dennison and the switch to a zone based blocking scheme. But I think the OL rebuild will not begin until either FA next year or next years draft.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I agree. We are hovering around average but now that we have hope at QB position we have to do everything in our power to provide him a clean pocket so he can develop nicely. I understand Cman’s concern and he is right.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. xxedge72x

14. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

said it before will say it again,,Mac does not believe in drafting O linemen,,,,you can point to the late rounds and the 2 he has picked in 4 years its a joke !

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He won't play this year so no need to waste draft picks on OL :p

16. xxedge72x

It is a shame. Jamarco Jones and Tyrell Crosby is still available and would be a steal this late for the Jets.

6-10 once again likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There need to be a few more choices cman. Darnold deserves protection, but I don't think Mac will draft an OL this year. I don't think he won't draft an OL because he thinks that's what FA is for. With so many holes, I just think he has other priorities, and would rather add a player he thinks is a better football player at a different position.

18. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Us not drafting Crosby is very baffling , we need him

19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

the guy from Ohio state any good ? still there

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Jones ?

21. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Macc only addresses shortages the following year. We needed a QB last year. So he finally got around to it this year. Next year I'm guessing we'll get an edge rusher. Or a new GM whichever comes first.