Old Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by 21stAmendment, Apr 20, 2012.

1. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

2. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

That's pretty awesome. I would have killed to play a game on a field like that when I was a kid.

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Pardon my stupidity as I'm not a Yankee fan nor do I live anywhere near the Bronx but what is the blue paint on the field? My assumption is that the dirt and grass are in the same poistion it was when the stadium was there but I haven't read up on the renovations of the former stadium area. I would love to take my family there on day and let them run on the field so many legends of my favorite game did.

4. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

It's not blue paint, but the blue is an outline of Yankee Stadiums field dimensions.

Here is overhead shot, 2nd base in the lower field is where homeplate was.

[​IMG]

5. NYCKNP

NYCKNP Member

I remember passing by the Old Yankee Stadium once back in 1999. I passed by Shea multiple times since I have family in Queens. Too bad I never got a chance to go into either Yankee Stadium or Shea Stadium. I did get a chance to visit Citi Field last year when it was the Subway Series.

Hopefully, I will be able to see the current Yankee Stadium and the park next to it when I visit The Bronx in the future.

6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It's funny, whenever I hear the term "Old Yankee Stadium", I think about the true old Yankee Stadium, the one before the renovations in 1974-1975. I was at a game in the late 1960s where Joe Pepitone hit a sky-high pop fly to rightfield, right down the line; the outfielder kept going back and ended up watching as it came straight down past his glove and landed in the first row, 296 feet from home plate. Back then fans were sometimes let out into the outfield after the game, and I remember walking out to centerfield and looking at the three monuments that were in the playing field (Lou Gehrig, Miller Huggins, and Babe Ruth), 468 feet from home plate.

I attended a Fourth-of-July doubleheader at the Stadium in 1969 against Cleveland (the teams split), back when such things were commonplace (the Mets were playing a doubleheader at the same time in Pittsburgh, which they swept on their way to the Miracle Mets championship). That was one of 20 doubleheaders the Yankees played that year, and the Mets played 22!

7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Do you remember if Stan's Sports was across the street then? I wonder how bad the new stadium hurt that place.

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Who actually does get to play on that field?

9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

That is pretty cool. I'm so glad i took my kids to do the tour before it was gone.

10. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

wow looks great. only bad thing....its in the Bronx

11. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

It's like any other NYC Park. It's open to the public, but they do have real games there, mostly high school.

12. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Why would the new stadium hurt Stan's? Place is still their and jammed like it's always is on game day. Yankees moved across the street not across town.

#12 21stAmendment, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it. I'd have to think the new stadium would hurt given that people exit the subway and head in the other direction, but I guess not. Good for them.

14. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I made it into the old stadium and Shea once each in the final year. I never got to walk around yankee stadium, just sat in the bleachers.

15. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

when i was 12 i got to go on the field at yankee stadium for a pre game ceremony with Disney.the 2days before the game we practiced on the field sat in the dugouts and walked under the bleachers where the batting cages are..

place was a fucking shithole

16. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I wish there were more double headers but I would guess like anything teams lose money if fans get 2 for 1 so MLB has all but killed them. I wish teams would play 2 double headers a month. They would shorten the season enough to allow the playoffs to end well before we have to worry about snow in places like Detroit, Twin Cities, Boston, Chicago , Philly, Pittsburgh or New York. You could theoretically shorten the season by nearly two weeks.

17. FirstTimeCaller

FirstTimeCaller Active Member

Pretty cool park.

A bit weird for me that I've been an avid NY sports fan my whole life but so much has changed in the 5 years since I moved away from NY... I'd feel like a stranger at Citi Field and have never even stepped foot in Jetlife, new Yankee stadium, or the newly renovated MSG. I'll be back in September for a few weeks and will be at Y.Stadium for the first time Sept 21st. Really looking forward to it.

18. nycarl

nycarl Active Member

You beat me to it with your comment. I don't think the renovated Stadium had much personality compared to the original. Yes, the obstructed seats were gone but so was alot of the original's uniqueness. I also walked on the warning track to exit through the center field gate. It was the 160th game of the 1961 season. My father and uncles sat in the right field seats hoping to grab Maris's 61st, but we were two games too early.

I had similar seats with a buddy in '71, I think, when the team were terrible. My buddy was shitfaced and kept screaming at Frank Howard, the Senators' right fielder and a huge man- 6'7" and 285. After a few curses and insults he turned around to look at my friend and walked a few steps in our direction. He could've stepped over that four foot fence and crushed us in his bare (bear?) hands. Needless to say, we were very quiet for the rest of the game.