OL dept. : OG to be released . . . ? ? ~ ~ ~

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Mar 4, 2006.

1. kelly

kelly Banned

Buccaneers | Stinchcomb expected to get released
    Fri, 3 Mar 2006 22:05:44 -0800

Roy Cummings, of the Tampa Tribune, reports Tampa Bay Buccaneers OG Matt Stinchcomb is expected to get released from the team before Monday, March 6. Stinchcomb would have counted $2.25 million against the team's salary cap. Latest figures have the Buccaneers at $15.7 million over the $94.5 million salary cap, but that does not include QB Chris Simms $2.1 million salary.

~ ~ ~ if available, any takers ? ?

:beer:

2. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Why?

Apparently, we're not interested in having an offensive line. If you're not going to pay a couple mil for Mawae, why should we think they'll spend on any other olinemen? Ah, who needs 'em anyway.

3. Green Guy

Green Guy New Member

dave, that's the kind of henny penny comment too many Jet fans are making!

Stinchcomb is younger than Mawae by a lot, and plays G not C. He can be had for a lot less money over time.

No one says the Jets won't have an Oline. All of the pundits and others who are screaming that the Line is Falling need to remember, we can fix all of that through the draft and FA and get younger and help fix our cap situation all at the same time.

I am confident the Wonder Boys understand the need to fix the Oline, but with younger, less expensive players.

4. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

The Buccs do not want to pay a starting guard $2.25 million. Is he that bad?
    Hell, the Jets are going to cut Kendall's salary to about that level and want him to stay. If you think a 4th or 5th round rookie can step in and do the job just think of Goodwin and he has been here for three years.

5. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Well, they're fifteen million over the salary cap, and he missed all of last season with a back injury.

You would have to check that back out, but Stinchcomb would be a nice pickup. Is he fantastic? No, but he has played all three line positions and would be extremely versatile. He might be able to be had for cheap.

-X-

6. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

7. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

I think people fail to realize that Mawae will be 36 next season. What's the point of keeping around an O-lineman that's that old (and coming off a season ending triceps injury no less)? Regardless of how much of a team leader he was.

I'm also not so sure he wasn't one of the guys who openly compared Pennington's durability to that of an egg shell. In my opinion, he is a player that gave us his heart, but with no realistic chance of NYJ superbowl in the immediate future, he's become disgruntled, and would probably do more damage than good in a locker room that will no doubt be full of young hungry guys.

I think we did the smart thing. Not only do you save a few million dollars by cutting him, but now whomever comes in has an opportunity to start right away and grow with the rest of the new look line.

I have fond memories of Big Kev, but it's time to move on, and I support this move 100%.

#7 EvilClownFace, Mar 4, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2006
  8. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

Way to go Kelly! The Jets are going to get this guy for sure! Now post this crap in the NFL section where it belongs!

9. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Long time jets fan you make fun of peoples threads but you dont even make any you little queer

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Ruh-roh.

11. Long Time Jet Fan

Long Time Jet Fan New Member

It's people like you who take this board down about three levels. I think the Jets should sign every player released so far. What about you?

12. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Gg

Its Tuesday and I've calmed down, a little. :breakdance: I know that the FO didn't have alot of choice with Mawae because he wouldn't work with them. I am still concerned that we've lost a leader and good player in Mawae. Kendall is not going to be able to replace him a center.

13. jaywade

jaywade Active Member

This is exactly what a lot of fans arent thinking about. The guy is almost 36 and completly tore his tricep, that is an injury that tanks a full year to recover 100% from (he would be 37). Also Kevin was going to make 4.5 mill and next year it probably be over 5 mill. We are trying to move in a totally different direction, Kendall is only 32 and he didnt get a serious injury.