Oh Well Mack Headed to the Bears

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 8, 2018.

?

What would you give up in a trade for Khalil Mack?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2020's 2nd and 3rd round picks

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Package of players - please be specific

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Package of players and draft picks - please be specific

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wouldn't trade for him

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

• Here is a full breakdown of Mack's deal.
    • Defensive end Khalil Mack has eclipsed Donald on most of the major factors, with the new contract that was negotiated on Saturday between Mack and the Chicago Bears. Here’s the full breakdown.

1. Signing bonus: $34 million. (Donald got $40 million.)

2. 2018 base salary: $7 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

3. 2019 roster bonus: $4 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

4. 2019 base salary: $11.3 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

5. 2020 roster bonus: $3.7 million, fully guaranteed at signing.

6. 2020 base salary: $13.3 million, guaranteed for injury at signing. Fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2019 league year.

7. 2021 base salary: $17.046 million, $16 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing. It converts to a full guaranteed on the third day of the 2020 league year.

8. 2022 roster bonus: $5.5 million, due on the third day of the league year.

9. 2022 base salary: $12.05 million, non-guaranteed.

10. 2023 roster bonus: $5.5 million, due on the third day of the league year.

11. 2023 base salary: $17.2 million, non-guaranteed.

12. 2024 roster bonus: $5.5 million, due on the third day of the league year.

13. 2024 base salary: $17.55 million, non-guaranteed.

14. Annual roster bonuses from 2019-24 of $200,000.

This equates to a full guarantee at signing of $60 million. By March 2019, $73.3 million will be fully guaranteed. By March 2020, $90 million will be fully guaranteed.

It’s a six-year, $141 million extension. That’s a new-money average of $23.5 million. (Donald’s deal has a new-money average of $22.5 million.) In all, it’s a seven-year, $154.846 million deal. That’s a total average at signing of $22.12 million.

None of this means Donald did a so-so deal. His payday was historic, and in many respects it laid the foundation for Mack’s deal to get done in Chicago.

But when it comes to average value at signing and as to new money (along with total guarantee), Mack likely will hold this record among all defensive players for more than a day. Eventually, however, Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa may be the one to surpass it.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-players/amp/

2. NYJ79

NYJ79 Well-Known Member

Two 1sts and that gargantuan contract. Am I missing something? Are the Bears closer to a title shot than I think they are? I don't see how this works out for them at that price, but we'll see.

Every elite defender due for a payday just came.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The trade suxed for BOTH Teams

Although the Raiders D wasn't very good who's to say it won't get WORSE for a while without KM..FTMR it made more sense to go to a team like GB or Minn who both have playoff caliber D and with KM would win a SB...The Bears are just looking for a playoff spot with Trubitsky (maybe) so yes more risky on that end

No Mack never one anything...but he was considered ELITE in the NFL with a great attitude vs say lazy Mo and reckless driver Richardson

Cmon DWC a stud defensive player CANNOT win you a championship at any level.UNLESS you have a top tier Offense and nearly there D....Now a QB THATS something else cause he provides you with POINts...this is also why all the Mevi$ deals were stupid/overpaid even tho he was considered elite

I know you are all in on Defense but that's where we disagree

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  4. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Bears are DESPERATE and they still aren't even contenders in their own division.

5. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think there's a lot of truth to this. Oakland's complete disregard for Mack from day one was bizarre - perhaps it wouldn't have come to this if the team had even talked to him once since Gruden was hired? But Chucky is an idiot with an ego the size of Mount Everest, and for some reason he decided that Mack was going to go.

And giving up this much for anyone other than a top QB only makes sense if he's the last piece for Super Bowl contention, which is not even close for the Bears. Indeed, as noted above, unless Trubisky is WAY better than he has shown so far, this might have made them the third-best team in their division.

NYJetsO12, NYJ79 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. DefenseWinsChampionships

Quoted from another thread but was more fitting within this one.

As a Jets fan I've never once been "scared" of "Khalil Mack".

We've faced him 3 times and he's...

A.) Never once Forced a Fumble against us.

B.) Never once Recovered a Fumble against us .

C.) Never once Intercepted a pass against us.

D.) Never once scored a Defensive TD against us.

E.) Never once injured and/or hurt any one of our Quarterbacks.

F.) Never once put up multiple sack performances against us (2.0 sacks throughout 3 games) (1, 1 & 0).

G.) Never once been a reason why we've lost to Oakland and have only gone 1-2 vs Carr and the Raiders.

During our two loses it's been Derek Carr who's beat us and has had little to with that of "Khaki Mack" and everything to do with that of Derek Carr.

During our two loses vs Carr and his Oakland Raiders/Khalil Mack (below):

Derek Carr (x2): 46/64 (.718%), 563 passing yards, 7 TD's/0 INT's and a QB Rating of 133.75.

Vs:

Khalil Mack (x2): 10 tackles, 2.0 sacks, 0 Forced Fumbles, 0 Fumble Recoveries, 0 INT's & 0 Defensive TD's.

Derek Carr has absolutely destroyed us - all while Khalil Mack has impacted, minimal at best.

And you mean to tell me that this Khalil Mack guy was/is worth multiple 1st round draft picks and/or $23.5 million in cap space per season? The fk outta here.

He recorded a whopping 0 sacks during his 1st and only playoff game (loss) but yet everyone talks about this "fearsome" pass rusher.

14 players had more sacks than Khalil Mack just last year and another 8 more the years before.

Even Dante Fowler Jr. could put up 2.0 sacks vs Tom Brady come postseason play... Does Mack fold under pressure?

2 First Round picks + $23.5 Million per season? Absolutely laughable.

7. NYJetsO12

Nice guys DO finish first

Ho
    Nice post.. but why do I get the feeling if KM was somehow delivered to the Jets you would spin it entirely differently..like Bowles and Kacy just got a Sam Darnold on Defense ?!? ,,,,,,ahahahah

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. NYJetsO12

Yep..

Gets them 8 instead of 6 wins ,,big whoop

9. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Mack is a beast but the price was very high we would be screwed without second and first round picks because those players produce at low cost rate.

10. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Not just me, ya notice yet?

11. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Yeah I've noticed.

12. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Using the stats of 2 to 3 games to draw conclusions like this just doesn't work, especially in evaluating his worth as a player. Stats also don't tell the whole story about a player. As a simplistic argument, Revis in 2010 had 0 interceptions. He was still an elite player for us that year, and there's no argument against it.

Context is always something that needs to be added to stats to critically analyse them. It's worth noting that the game where he recorded 0 sacks against us was his first ever game in the NFL as a rookie. In this game, he also had 6 combined tackles, one of which looks to be a tackle for loss.

You say averaging 5 tackles and a sack per game is a minimal impact against us. If you extrapolate the stats out for the 2 games you provided to a full season, he'd have 80 tackles and 16 sacks for the season. Those are elite numbers for a pass rusher. Even if you include his rookie game against us, that's 85 tackles and 10.5 sacks. Still solid pass rushing numbers, and indicative of solid edge setting against the run.

Now, for the sake of argument, let's look at Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware's career regular season numbers to figure out what we'd expect from them on average over three games against us. Both these guys are widely considered as premier pass rushers in their prime.

A) Von Miller has had 21 forced fumbles in 104 games. Over 3 games, there's only a 61% chance he'd have a forced fumble against us. DeMarcus Ware has had 35 forced fumbles over 178 games. That's only a 59% chance of a forced fumble against us. Therefore, Khalil Mack having none against us so far isn't unexpected.

B) Von Miller has had 6 fumble recoveries in 104 games. Over 3 games, there's only a 18% chance he'd have a fumble recovery against us. DeMarcus ware has had a measly 8 recoveries for a 14% chance. Khalil Mack is fine here.

C) Von Miller has intercepted 1 pass in his career. DeMarcus Ware has intercepted 3. I'm not doing the math here, it's too dumb to expect interceptions from pass rushers.

D) Von Miller has had 3 defensive TDs in his career, to DeMarcus Ware's 4. 7% and 9% expected chance over 3 games respectively.

E) How is this even relevant? Injuries aren't the goal of the game.

F) Von Miller has had 83.5 sacks over 104 games, for an expected 2.5 sacks over 3 games. Not much different to Mack's 2 over 3. DeMarcus Ware had 138.5 sacks over 178 games, for an expected 2.4 sacks over 3 games. Therefore, Mack having 2 isn't unexpected, and still solid.

G) His stats and abilities are sufficient to affect a game plan. In 2015, he was consistently tackling players for 3 yards or less on runs, and his sack stopped any chance of a comeback near the end of the 4th quarter. In 2017 he wasn't nearly as effective in run stopping, but his sack forced us into a 2 and long at the end of the 3rd near our own end zone. That's typically a drive stopper, but McCown managed to convert for a first down.

Having 0 sacks in a single playoff game isn't unusual. Von Miller has had 3 mulligans in his career in playoff games, and DeMarcus Ware had no sacks in his first ever playoff game. No one discounted their pass rushing prowess based on that, even back then.

I personally don't think he's worth 2 first rounders (I'd only value QBs for that compensation), but that doesn't mean I'll discount what a talent he is just because we didn't get him.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just heard on Good Morning Football about the Mack situation. The Raiders met with Mack's agents at the Combine and made an offer. 5 days later Mack's agents made a counter offer, and the two sides were way off to the extent that there was no further conversation. Mack told them that he wasn't coming to TC, or preseason. It was said that 12 teams called the Raiders to inquire about Mack, but only about 6 teams were still in it once they learned that Mack needed a new contract. Those 6 teams were the Browns, the Bills, the Jets, the Forty-Niners, and Packers, but the Jets were very active (he only mentioned those 5 teams).

Our resident "know-it-alls" who claimed that Mack would never miss games in the regular season were, as expected, flat out wrong. Mack told them that he was willing to miss games in the regular season. Mack was committed to his convictions. When Donald signed, the Raiders said that there was no way that they could pay Mack the same amount. They said that they already have a $25 million QB.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

LOL Love it! The Packers don't have to worry about Da Bears (except for maybe Mack hurting Rodgers) for the forseeable future. Even if Trubisky is the real deal, they won't be able to afford to pay him with what they're paying Mack without cutting good players at other positions.

15. NCJetsfan

What a sad and pathetic bunch of people! Being banned from a site and coming back 6-7 times, and posters being obssessed with him, following him to another site and harrassing him, and then constantly harrassing him here. Some of you really need to get a life!

16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

LMAO i haven't been fucking up this thread but ok buddy. mack os gone anyway to Chicago. this thread is done. You may want to take some anger management classes though

17. NYJetsO12

Gruden takes a vacation from coaching and comes back playing Mad Scientist with the Raiders who next to the Jets I always liked. He is a proven SB winning coach and can get the MOST out of his players (something shoddy Toddy has yet to do) so I wouldnt mind him here as he is better than TB. I respect him as an Offensive guru and his teams have always lead their Division or in playoff contention

OTOH, since he won the SB for Tampa he went through QBs like socks and that was it for them. He will do it HIS way as chief shot caller..It looks like the GM at Oakland is just a place holder. Gruden better make good with 2 first rounders even tho he gave up what a 3rd and 6th too? He can devote alot more $ to other positions now that KM is gone. Plus he has to pay Carr big $

The Bears arent paying Trubitsky alot since he is on rookie contract..so they could "afford" KM

I think I would give Oakland a slight edge here because their Offense is in pretty good shape and wont need such an overhaul like tje Oakland D. Not crazy about the trade but I think the Raiders are posed to succeed more so than Chicago and maybe other teams

18. NCJetsfan

Actually, Gruden gave up a 2nd rounder and got a 3rd rounder and a 6th rounder in addition to the two firsts.

#978 NCJetsfan, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

Nice post..but TBH I dont know a heck of alot about Reggie

Why would he be good here?

20. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Nicely said when you put context around stats rather than just stats.

He’s gone but pretty much everyone agrees he’s a game changing type defensive player.