Oh Well Mack Headed to the Bears

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by NCJetsfan, Aug 8, 2018.

?

What would you give up in a trade for Khalil Mack?

1. Next year's 1st round pick

45 vote(s)
    45.9%
  2. 2020's 2nd and 3rd round picks

13 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Package of players - please be specific

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Package of players and draft picks - please be specific

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Other

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Wouldn't trade for him

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  1. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What's the problem? Why can't they get him signed?

I'm stunned that such a well run organization :rolleyes: can't sign their top defender.

Just last year they were getting praised left & right for paying a middle of the pack QB $25 million per year.

Oooooooh come to think of it that might have something to do with it.

LOL

LAJet likes this.
  2. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

I would give up next years first. But that would leave us with no 1st or 2nd pick hopefully
    Bridgewater balls out and we can trade him for some draft ammo.

themorey likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'd love Mack, but not at the risk of losing key pieces from the steadily improving team they now have. I'm okay with waiting until 2019 to get that stud pass rusher.

NCJetsfan and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  4. DefenseWinsChampionships

One could only hope that Nick Bosa falls to us but unless we're picking 1st overall it's not happening.

If Khalil Mack can be had for a 1st rounder it's an absolute no brainier once you consider the fact that we'd still have over 80M+ in available cap space to continue building around Sam Darnold, and that's after a long term contract to Khalil Mack.

Not even a question anymore.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

If not a trade for Khalil Mack then I hope we use our 1st on an LT and then use our cap space to sign not only one outside pass rushing and/or edge rushing talent, but two.

Franchise LT (round one).

Jadeveon Clowney, Ezekiel Ansah, Demarcus Lawrence, Dante Fowler Jr etc etc.

If not for Khalil Mack then I wouldn't want to settle for anything less than two big time FA pass rushers. Not with this type of cap space I wouldn't; it's already been too long.

After the drafting of Darnold nothing is more important than LT & Pass Rushers moving forward.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If 1st rounder could get him, then yeah, no brainer. I just don't think that will do it, and I worry that they would give up too much. That said, Mack really seems to trying to build through the draft - at least with the blue chip pieces - so he probably won't mortgage the future.

Will-I-Am-Not likes this.
  7. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I'd love to have him but the price is probably prohibitive. I'm guessing multiple first round picks and a player or two. Factor in that we already traded our 2019 second to move up for Darnold, and I just don't see how we could make that trade.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Clowney can be had in free agency and I’ll tell you what he’s gonna explode soon.

He was a late bloomer of sorts at South Carolina. He came in with high hopes and seem rather pedestrian until he figured it out and then he was unstoppable. Similar thing happening in Houston. He’s on the cusp

Best case scenario he gets hurt this year, enters the free agent market as “damaged goods.” You JUMP at that. Clowney is on the verge I’m tellin ya

9. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree and he's still pretty young @ only 25 years of age and full of rare athleticism and has improved his sack totals each of the past 3 years going from 4.5, 6.0 and just last year 9.5 sacks (back to back pro bowl selections). More impressive he's done it without J.J Watt opposite of him each of the past two years .

Obviously I'd settle for just one freaking proven pass rusher but how would a duo/tandem of say...

Jadeveon Clowney and Dante Fowler Jr (coming off an 8 sack season) look as a pass rushing duo/tandem?

10. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Any player under contract with a team that fails to report within 30 days prior to the first regular season game will not receive a season towards free agency.

The Rams first game is Sept 10th, which, by my count, is 29 days from today.

11. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

Would absolutely love to get Mack but I don't think that I'd want to spend more than a 1st round on him from draft capital.

12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Correct, but if he agrees to a contract, it's a moot point.

13. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

It is 30 days from the first game of the season, not that teams first game, so the date was August 7th. But as stated if they get new contracts there is no issue.

stinkyB likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I like this approach a lot. The question is, if we would draft middle of the pack or slightly better, can we still get a top LT in the first round.

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'm honestly not sure.

So many factors come into play. Too many this early on.

One of the main prayers that we'll have a chance to protect Sam Darnold with a 1st round O-Lineman, is that this up coming draft is expected to be heavy on both DE/DT & Outside/Edge pass rushees & Offensive Lineman alike.

What scares me?

There are so many teams that could be looking to strike O-Line early and often.

•The Browns just selected Mayfield.
    •The Bills drafted Allen.
    •Arizona landed Rosen.
    •Baltimore went and got Lamar.

I can envision those same 4 teams looking to invest into their potential Franchisee QB's with 1st round draft picks going to their offensive line.

•The Giants just went RB Saqon Barkley. 2nd overall.

NYG I can picture (without question) going Offensive Line 1st round since they A.) Passed on Quenton Nelson this year & B.) Must open up holes for their prized draft pick in Saquon Barkley.

There are also 3 other teams that went offensive line 1st round this year, that I fully expect to double dip and go Offensive Line 1st round next year (in order to continue protecting their younger Franchise QB's).

•Indy Colts (Andrew Luck).
    •San Francisco (Jimmy G).
    •Oakland Raiders (Derek Carr).

Outside of the Jets those are another 8 teams in which I fully expect (100%) to draft offensive lineman 1st round come 2019's NFL draft.

Jets (Darnold).
    Cleveland (Baker).
    Buffalo (Allen).
    Arizona (Rosen).
    Baltimore (Jackson).
    Giants (Barkley/Eli).
    Colts (Luck).
    49ers (Jimmy G).
    Raiders (Carr).

Those 9 teams should all be players at the poker table in terms of O-Lineman come draft night.

With all of that said. One way that we can land a top 2 OL prospect without tanking 2018.

A.) Trade Teddy Bridgewater for a 2nd/3rd.

B.) Use that 2nd/3rd (for Teddy) + our own 2019 1st round pick and trade up into the 1st.

C.) Go & draft our prized O-Lineman in order to build around Darnold.

#215 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  16. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

If we trade our #1 pick for Mack, we will have to look to free agency to fill spots on the OL due to not having #1 & #2 picks next year. But I like the idea of filling a hole at pass rusher with Mack. He will take our defense to a new level...not to mention Leo's game will improve with outside pass rush. Hopefully we can get a #2 for Teddy:rolleyes:

17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Heard someone say Vegas has odds on the Jets 8:1 to land Mack. As he reported to camp yet? I would jump all over this without hesitation for our 2019 1st.

18. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

3/1 Packers
    4/1 Raiders

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

That's what it comes down too. Without a 1st and a 2nd, the only option would be to upgrade the line via free agency. However, some of the top lineman last year got $13M a season, so they'd have to pay up.

Basically, you only trade for Mack if you are certain Darnold will be great. Otherwise you trade a 1st (at least) and commit $100M to a player in his prime, when the team is not ready to compete.

I'd rather draft line with the 1st pick next year and sign Bell to a big contract.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

QB: Sam Darnold.

RB: Le'Veon Bell.
    WR1: Robby Anderson.

LT: 2019's 1st Rounder.

That's one hell of an offensive nucleus within the form of down right lethal trio along with a 1st round pass protector @ LT to boot.

That type of offense would be very hard to pass up.

The only way I'm able to pass that up is if it's for Khalil Mack.

Now say we're able to not only sign Le'Veon Bell but also sign an edge/outside pass rusher such as a Fowler Jr (with all of our available cap space) along with still drafting an O-Line during 2019's 1st, well then yes I would agree that Le'Veon Bell/Fowler Jr/2019's 1st would be a better route than Khalil Mack. But that's about it.