Offseason Pre-TC 53 Man Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, Jun 25, 2017.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced Hack is going to start he looked awful last night...

2. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

McCown is going to start. I think they'll go to Hack by week 8. Maybe try Petty for weeks 15-17 just to give him one more shot, and then settle on Darnold in week 1.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks. I posted that prior to the game, so had to go basically on camp reports and the 1st preseason game. I like Carter a lot, our STs need all the help they can get, so I hope that you're right that they will hang onto Carter and can get Harris onto the PS.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Connor Hughes has his latest roster projection and it has some interesting cuts.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2017/08/jets_53-man_roster_prediction_big_surprise_cuts_af.html

Jets' 53-man roster prediction: Big surprise cuts after second preseason game | Connor Hughes
    Posted August 22, 2017 at 06:30 AM | Updated August 22, 2017 at 06:32 AM

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
    Are Bryce Petty and Lorenzo Mauldin safe? Could the Jets cut Marcus Williams? Some surprises in our latest Jets' 53-man roster prediction.

Who makes the cut?
    We're halfway through the preseason. We're into the final week of training camp. After a long and grueling summer, the Jets' roster is starting to take shape.

Players who were believed to be locks are suddenly on the bubble. No-name players who entered camp as long shots are starting to establish themselves as potential breakout stars. While an awful lot can still change, it's getting easier to piece together a 53-man roster.

So, where do we stand as of today? Here's our latest 53-man prediction.

QUARTERBACKS (3)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg, Bryce Petty
    NOTABLY CUT: N/A

BREAKING IT DOWN: I've been a bit down on Bryce Petty's chances of making the roster. After the game against the Lions, I think he's a borderline lock. If Josh McCown goes down, he gives the Jets a better shot than Christian Hackenberg ... as crazy as that sounds.

RUNNING BACKS (4)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Matt Forte, Bilal Powell, Eli McGuire [rookie], Anthony Firkser (FB)
    NOTABLY CUT: Romar Morris, Julian Howsare (FB)

BREAKING IT DOWN: No surprises here. I think Firkser gives the Jets more athleticism on offense compared to Howsare.

TIGHT END (3)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Jordan Leggett [rookie], Jason Vander Laan, Eric Tomlinson

BREAKING IT DOWN: The Jets plan on using the tight end this year, so they'll likely keep three on the active roster. Leggett, Vander Laan and Tomlinson give them a nice mix of blocking and receiving options. The real question? Who gets cut when Austin Seferian-Jenkins returns from his two-game suspension.

OFFENSIVE LINE (10)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Kelvin Beachum, James Carpenter, Wesley Johnson, Brian Winters, Brandon Shell, Brent Qvale, Ben Ijalana, Jonotthan Harrison, Dakota Dozier, Craig Watts

BREAKING IT DOWN: The line hasn't been good this summer or preseason. The issue? Reinforcements aren't on their way. Keeping these guys at least gives the Jets a rotation of players to work through until they find -- rather, if they find -- a combination that works.

RECEIVERS (6)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Robby Anderson, Chris Harper, Gabe Marks, Frankie Hammond, ArDarius Stewart [rookie], Chad Hansen [rookie]
    NOTABLY CUT: Charone Peake, Jalin Marshall (suspended)

BREAKING IT DOWN: Peake, while atop the depth chart now, has been horrible in training camp. He drops two or three balls a day, and most are when he's covered by air. He hasn't done much to assert himself as anything other than an OK special teamer.

Maybe his ability on that side of the ball keeps him around, but the fact he played just two offense snaps (three special teams) against the Lions is alarming. The Jets are clearly thinking about life without him.

DEFENSIVE LINE (6)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Leonard Williams, Steve McLendon, Deon Simon, Lawrence Thomas
    NOTABLY CUT: Mike Pennel

BREAKING IT DOWN: The more I watch the Jets in the preseason, the more I see them not using a conventional nose tackle. Pennel doesn't have a place on the team.

INSIDE LINEBACKER (4)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Demario Davis, Darron Lee, Julian Stanford, Connor Harris [rookie]
    NOTABLY CUT: Bruce Carter

BREAKING IT DOWN: Harris is a bit of a long shot, but I like his chances. He's a solid special teams player with upside on defense. He's also cheaper than Carter, and the Jets have shown they prefer to save a penny.

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS (4)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Freddie Bishop, Jordan Jenkins, Josh Martin, Dylan Donahue [rookie]
    NOTABLY CUT: Lorenzo Mauldin

BREAKING IT DOWN: Mauldin is the big surprise here. Simply put, he hasn't shown enough to warrant a spot on the 53-man roster. The other four guys have outplayed him in training camp and the preseason.

Mauldin's also dealing with a neck injury that, according to coach Todd Bowles, requires regular epidural shots. That's usually a sign he has a bulging disk (although Bowles wouldn't confirm), and is the last option before surgery.

I could see Mauldin getting waived/injured, or put on the injured reserve, too. Either way, I don't think he'll be on the Week 1 roster. More on that here

CORNERBACKS (6)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine, Juston Burris, Darryl Roberts, Derrick Jones [rookie], Dexter McDougle
    NOTABLY CUT: Marcus Williams

BREAKING IT DOWN: Williams hasn't been bad in camp, McDougle has just been better. Cutting Williams also saves the Jets $2.746 million with zero cap penalty.

SAFETIES (4)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Rontez Miles, Ronald Martin
    NOTABLY CUT: Shamarko Thomas

BREAKING IT DOWN: Nothing surprising here. Doug Middleton's season-ending bicep injury opened the door for Martin to make the team.

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
    MAKES THE CUT
    : Ross Martin (K), Lachlan Edwards (P), Tanner Purdum (LS)
    NOTABLY CUT: Chandler Catanzaro (K)

BREAKING IT DOWN: Simply put, Martin has been the better kick all camp. Catanzaro has experience, but he's far too inconsistent. It makes more sense to roll with Martin.