Offseason Pre-TC 53 Man Roster Prediction

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by themorey, Jun 25, 2017.

1. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

What the hell, I'm bored and keep seeing these beat writers posting their roster predictions, most of which I disagree with. So here's mine for all of you to disagree with. :)

QUARTERBACKS (3)
    Retained: Christian Hackenberg, Josh McCown, Bryce Petty
    Cut: Nobody
    Analysis: I think Hack overtakes McCown to start the season. McC is a flatline of development whereas Hack has steadily improved from the start of OTAs through Minicamp. If he keeps improving through camp you go with the guy on the line trending up. Petty is the dark horse here but he's not out of the competition.

RUNNING BACKS (4)
    Retained: Bilal Powell, Matt Forte, Elijah McGuire, Anthony Firkser (fullback)
    Cut: Romar Morris, Jordan Todman, Brandon Wilds, Julian Howsare
    Analysis: I think Powell gets more touches than Forte this year but I hope Morton uses packages with both on the field together. Forcing the D to commit resources to both pass catching RBs could open the middile of the field for the TE and slot WR. I see McGuire as our primary returner with spot duty between the 20's. My darkhorse continues to be Firkser who will continue the tradition of Harvard TE/FB to succeed in the NFL.

WIDE RECEIVERS (6)
    Retained: Quincy Enunwa, Robby Anderson, Chad Hansen, Charone Peake, ArDarius Stewart, Marquess Wilson
    Cut: KD Cannon, Deshon Foxx, Frankie Hammond, Gabe Marks, Devin Street, Myles White, Chris Harper
    Suspended (four games): Jalin Marshall
    Analysis: Not thrilled with this WR group after cutting Decker. Its young and not conducive to helping a young QB. With that said I think there is upside in the group but a lot things need to align to make the group productive. I hope Morton continues to move Enunwa around to try and create mismatches. Forcing him into the #1 WR only role will probably lead to disappointment. Stewart and Hansen have a lot of upside but both were injured and missed a lot of the offseason program. I think Wilson makes the team as a young WR with upside but a long injury history. He can be a nice complimentary WR and red zone threat at 6'4"

TIGHT ENDS (2)
    Retained: Eric Tomlinson, Jordan Leggett
    Cut: Brian Parker, Jason Vander Laan
    Suspended (two games): Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    Analysis: Leggett is a given but the 2nd spot is probably a toss up for the first 2 games. Between Tomlinson and Parker it will probably come down to who can be the better blocker. Not sure who that will be but it sounds like Tomlinson looked pretty good this offseason (without pads).

OFFENSIVE LINE (9)
    Retained: Kelvin Beachum, James Carpenter, Wesley Johnson, Brian Winters, Brandon Shell, Ben Ijalana, Brent Qvale, Jeff Adams, Jonotthan Harrison
    Cut: Alex Balducci, Chris Bordelon, Ben Braden, Javarius Leamon, Dakota Dozier, Craig Watts
    Analysis: Most of the line is set except RT, where I think Shell will win the starting nod. I think Harrison makes the team as a swing C/G and Qvale makes it as a swing G/T. Adams is probably the guy who rises the most but he was apparently running with the 1st string a lot during minicamp (with Beachum out) so he gets the nod. Given the dead money ($2.25M) I don't see how Ijalana does not make the team.

DEFENSIVE LINE (7)
    Retained: Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, Mike Pennel, Steve McLendon, Deon Simon, Sheldon Richardson, Lawrence Thomas
    Cut: Brandin Bryant, Patrick Gamble, Anthony Johnson, Claude Pelon
    Analysis: I think Pennel steps up and takes the starting NT spot. He is a huge dude at 6'4" 330 and has been compared to Kris Jenkins in terms of size and athleticism. Richardson won't be traded before the season and its up to Bowles to showcase him more so they can get something before the trading deadline. Given the amount of cap space next year I don't think they will get a compensatory pick for letting him walk. It will be better to try and get a 2018 4th if at all possible.

LINEBACKERS (9)
    Retained: Demario Davis, Jordan Jenkins, Darron Lee, Josh Martin, Corey Lemonier, Lorenzo Mauldin, Dylan Donahue, Julian Stanford, Connor Harris
    Cut: Frank Beltre, Bruce Carter, Spencer Paysinger, Freddie Bishop
    Analysis: Stanford and Harris make the team as ST contributors. I think either Martin or Donahue will take over for Mauldin who has other worries at the moment.

CORNERBACKS (6)
    Retained: Juston Burris, Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine, Jeremy Clark, Darryl Roberts, Xavier Coleman
    Cut: Derrick Jones, Bryson Keeton, Dexter McDougle, Corey White, Marcus Williams
    Analysis: I think Burris takes over as the outside CB opposite Claiborne and Skrine sticks to the slot. Surprise cut here is Marcus Williams who has no guaranteed money and can add to the cap savings ($2.746M). I read an article on the Interwebs about how Jeremy Clark (6'3" 220) is a candidate to play the big nickel role that Deone Buchanan cashed in on. I think its an interesting idea for a large DB with coverage experience at both CB and S.

SAFETIES (4)
    Retained: Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Doug Middleton, Rontez Miles
    Cut: Shamarko Thomas, Ronald Martin
    Analysis: I thought Middleton should have played more last year. 'Tez will continue with spot playing time on D and leading contributor on ST.

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
    Retained: Chandler Catanzaro, Lachlan Edwards, Tanner Purdum
    Cut: Ross Martin
    Analysis: There would be minimal cap savings to cut Cantazaro so I think he gets the job for experience alone. I don't think he keeps the job all season though. ​

2. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

Good write-up.

Powell is my hang-up. He's been here several years, a couple of coaches and 3-4 coordinators and hasn't shown any of them, he's the guy. He may be, but on a team with little/no offense, he hasn't, ah... grabbed the ball and ran with it.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Coaching Staff Prediction:

Kevin Green beats out Todd Bowles for the HC position...Bowles joins Scouting Dept...team gets WC for Playoffs...Morris Claiborne intercepts Big Ben floater for game winner..In AFC Championship Jets get OT win over injured Brady with C Hackenberg replacing injured Josh M and side arming pass in end zone for Austin S J

Bowles joins Herm Edwards for Super Bowl Special Interview but gets there late..Herm says "no problem bro"

Jets crush Dallas in SB by 50 points...New Dynasty replaces Pats..

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Fill 'er up!

[​IMG]

5. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Dexter Mcdougle is honestly still on the team? Lol

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Powell has been a tease since they drafted him. Showing something for 4-5 games a year only to disappear next year.

7. boozer32

Do they make in heroin syringes lol

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

To be fair, it's the last 4-5 games each time, pretty hard to show something the rest of the season when you aren't given the ball.

9. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I think it will be Freddie Bishop over Corey Lemonier. The staff loves Bishop for some reason. Maybe he can show us why on the field *shrug *.

I have no idea why he has never been featured. He's been the better option of all the guys that have been started ahead of him: Shonn Greene, Chris Johnson, Chris Ivory, Matt Forte, and looked better when given the opportunity in a limited role. Maybe Ivory for that one year could've been better but with out the reps to prove himself we'll never know.

We kid about Powell starting to take PED's 2 years ago, but something really did change. He has looked faster, more explosive and stronger in the last 2 years than he's ever shown prior. Whether that's confidence and improved awareness allowing him to see and predict things better coupled with strength and conditioning working who knows. All I do know is he's certainly earned the role of a lead back (60/40 split min) by proving through his actions he's the best option to have on the field.

#9 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with Powell is that they never used him enough. There should have been more 2 back sets, freeing up the passing lanes, as both Forte and Powell can catch and run a few yards. That also opened up the TE, but the coaches didn't feature passes to TE's. Another failure of our "coaching staff". Maybe good changes with Morton running the offence

NCJetsfan and Walt White like this.
  11. boozer32

Well, he's missed 14 games his rookie season and 5 games in 2015. Plus he had Ivory ahead of him and he was a beast.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good job. I think this is pretty close, but think there could be a few changes.

I hope that Firkser can step up and win a spot on the team. Not only would it be great to have a FB who can block, but I like his versatility in being able to play TE as well. That said, I'll be surprised if he does. I think they'll need that spot for another position group, and Firkser goes to the PS.

At WR, I could see either Cannon or Hammond making the team over Firkser at RB. Cannon for his speed and potential and Hammond for his value as a returner on STs.

At TE, I've read some good things about Tomlinson this offseason, but also have read that the Jets are very high on Vander Laan and that he's had a very good offseason so far. I think they could possibly wind up keeping 3 TEs, so that's another reason that Firkser may or may not make the team.

On the OL, I'll be surprised if Adams makes the team, and I know next to nothing about him. Based on your description he sounds like an OT, so I googled him to confirm, and he is. The Jets will already have 4 on the roster with Beachum, Ijalana, Shell and Qvale. While Qvale can also play OG, that would leave only Carpenter, Winters, Qvale and Harrison at OG. I think there's a good chance that they keep 10 OL and keep either Dozier or Watts on the roster.

On the DL, I'd love it if Pennel could win the starting NT job, but will be surprised if he beats out McLendon. If he does, I'd be surprised if the Jets keep McLendon, however. I can't see keeping 3 NTs, unless all 3 really shine in TC and preseason; otherwise, I think they look to trade McLendon or Pennel.

With regards to the LB corps. that's where I think there could be the most change. Paysinger is a solid vet, and I believe is good on STs. Bruce Carter is good on STs as well, so I'll be a bit surprised if they don't keep him and keep Harris instead. I think Harris will really have to play lights out in TC and preseason for that to happen. I think that Lemonier has been injured during mini-camp and OTAs, so he may be on the outside looking in. I think the Jets could possibly keep Bishop in his place, or maybe even Beltre. I don't know much about him, but think I remember reading that he looked pretty good or the Jets like him. I think that Mauldin is really going to have to have an excellent camp and preseason, or he could be released/traded. The Jets have also already released Stanford, then re-signed him, so he could easily be released again.

At CB, I think it would be a mild surprise if Derrick Jones doesn't make the team since he was a draft pick, but since he has so little experience at CB, and would be more of a STs player, you could be right. I'd also be a little surprised if Marcus Williams doesn't make the team, but think he may have to show improved coverage ability and the return to his ballhawking ways of 2015 in order to make the team.

Regardless of how things go, I think there will be some tough cuts, and there's a fair chance that a player or two the Jets hope to stash on the PS get nabbed by another team.

13. NCJetsfan

While I agree that Powell hasn't convinced anyone that he's a surefire starting RB, imo he's shown a lot more than Forté has, and at this stage of their respective careers, I think Powell would be the better choice to start. His ypc was a good bit higher, and he's faster and has more spring in his legs. That said, I think the Jets will probably start Forté initially until he starts slowing down or showing more wear and tear and then they'll switch to Powell.

14. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

If he's got anything left I'd go with Paysinger over any of the bottom guys on the depth chart for specials.

15. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Has there been any news at all on McDougle? That guy went from being a joke to being completely forgotten. I'll confess that I not only forgot he was on the team, I forgot he ever existed. Seeing the name in print brought it all back.

In real life, he'll probably be cut and end up selling used cars someplace, but in the movie version-- he would barely make the roster as the backup dime, then break up the pass that ends some villainous opponent's comeback in the playoffs.

16. NCJetsfan

Yes. He's had a great TC, and was the top rated CB in preseason game #1 vs Tennessee.

TwoHeadedMonster and Walt White like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I think these will be the toughest cuts the Jets have had in quite a long time. Barring injuries or changes following camp cuts here is my prediction for the 53-man roster.

OFFENSE: (25)
    QUARTERBACKS (3)
    Retained:
    Christian Hackenberg, Josh McCown, Bryce Petty
    Cut: Nobody
    Analysis: Whereas I and most posters want Hack to start, I don't think he will. It's still too early to call, but Hack has made good progress/improvement and made up some, perhaps even a lot of ground on McCown. I think Bowles and Morton will feel more comfortable with McCown starting initially. Barring a total collapse by McCown or injury, I still think McCown starts game 1, but think Hack will be playing by game 6. If Petty had been given an equal shot in the competition, the competition could be a lot tighter.

RUNNING BACKS (4)
    Retained:
    Bilal Powell, Matt Forte, Elijah McGuire, Anthony Firkser (FB/TE)
    Cut: Romar Morris, Jordan Todman, Marcus Murphy, Julian Howsare
    Analysis: I think Powell should be the starter and will be. It would be interesting and I agree that I'd like to see both Powell and Forte on the field together, but I'm not sure that they'll do that. Howsare has been nothing special, and I think Firkser's ability to play both TE/FB gains him the 4th RB spot. The only way I see Firkser not making the team is if Frankie Hammond collapses or gets injured between now and the start of the season. In that scenario, Marcus Murphy could make the team as the return man. Morris has had a good TC and was a workhorse in preseason game 1, and will likely be picked up by another team.

WIDE RECEIVERS (6)
    Retained:
    Robby Anderson, Chad Hansen, Charone Peake, ArDarius Stewart, Chris Harper, Frankie Hammond
    Cut: KD Cannon, Deshon Foxx, Gabe Marks, Myles White, Marquess Wilson, Kenbrel Thompkins, Dan Williams
    Suspended (four games): Jalin Marshall
    Analysis: Losing Quincy Enunwa to injury and the IR really hurts. Anderson, Hanson, Peake, Stewart and probably Chris Harpers (he's had an excellent TC) are locks. As TheMorey said, Stewart and Hansen have a lot of upside but both were injured and missed a lot of the offseason program. I add that they still haven't shown that much. Wilson and Myles White have both had too many drops to make the team. Jalin Marshall could easily fall into that category as well. He had better impress in the last 4 practices of TC and last two preseason games, or he could find himself without a job once his suspension is over. There was always a chance that they keep 7 WRs, and that could be even more likely with Enunwa going down. Will they keep Kenbrel Thompkins as another vet? Will they keep KD Cannon as another deep threat? Despite being undersized, Gabe Marks has talent. He could possibly earn a spot as well. If they keep a 7th WR, I think it will either be J. Marshall or a camp cut from another team.

TIGHT ENDS (3)
    Retained:
    Jordan Leggett, Chris Gragg
    Cut: Eric Tomlinson, Jason Vander Laan
    Suspended (two games): Austin Seferian-Jenkins
    Analysis: I think the Jets could surprise and keep 4 TEs. I really think this could be the strength of the offense, especially with the WRs being questionable between lack of experience and all the drops. ASJ will be the starter once his suspension is served. Leggett will definitely make the team, but could be beaten out for the 2nd TE spot by the veteran Chris Gragg. The Jets supposedly love Jason Vander Laan, and he has had another great camp. They may fear he won't pass through waivers to go onto the PS, so could keep 4. I haven't heard anything about his blocking, but he has been a very good receiver for them. It would be a surprise if they cut Gragg, but they may in order to keep Vander Laan.

OFFENSIVE LINE (9)
    Retained:
    Kelvin Beachum, James Carpenter, Wesley Johnson, Brian Winters, Brandon Shell, Ben Ijalana, Brent Qvale, Jonotthan Harrison
    Cut: Alex Balducci, Chris Bordelon, Ben Braden, Javarius Leamon, Jeff Adams, Dakota Dozier, Craig Watts
    Analysis: Ijalana sticks as experienced depth, and due to his cap hit. At the moment, Qvale seems to have the inside track on the RT starting job, but Shell could bypass him in the final couple of weeks. I agree that Harrison makes the team as a swing C/G. Even if Qvale winds up losing the starting RT spot to Shell, he makes it as a swing G/T. The seem high on Adams, and he has had a good TC, so he may stick, but I think it more likely that they try to sneak him through waivers for the PS, and they look to add a veteran camp cut. Dakota Dozier could also stick as depth.

DEFENSE: (25)
    DEFENSIVE LINE (7)
    Retained:
    Leonard Williams, Muhammad Wilkerson, Mike Pennel, Steve McLendon, Deon Simon, Sheldon Richardson, Lawrence Thomas
    Cut: Jeremy Faulk, Brandin Bryant, Devon Still, Patrick Gamble, Anthony Johnson, Claude Pelon
    Analysis: Since McLendon is 31, this could be his last season with the team. If the Jets are thinking that way, then I think that they should keep Pennel so that the NT position will be set with Simon and Pennel next year, but he may fall victim to numbers. I really hope that Richardson will be traded before the season starts, but probably won't be. Hopefully, they can trade him before the trade deadline. Both Johnson and Gamble made some plays in the first preseason game and had pretty good camps I think, but probably fall victim to numbers. Along with Claude Pelon and Jeremy Faulk one or more of them could be possible choices for the PS.

LINEBACKERS (8)
    Retained:
    Demario Davis, Darron Lee, Julian Stanford, Bruce Carter*, Josh Martin, Jordan Jenkins, Dylan Donahue, Corey Lemonier
    Cut: Lorenzo Mauldin, Frank Beltre, Connor Harris*, Spencer Paysinger, Freddie Bishop
    Analysis: Lee, Davis, Jenkins, Donahue, and probably Stanford are locks to make the team. Stanford has had a great TC, was the top LB vs Tenn. in the 1st preseason game, and he's a top ST contributor. He could possibly even push Davis and/or Lee for a starting job. I haven't read Lemonier's name much during TC, but he had a good preseason outing last week vs. Tenn. and an excellent game last night. Bishop and Beltré have had a lot of reps with the 1st unit, but haven't done a lot in either preseason game, and Lemonier is coming on and has actually produced in the NFL. Unless the Jets just aren't ready to give up on Mauldin, I think he is cut. Paysinger is a good STs contributor, but I think the Jets will keep 4 ILBs and 4 OLBs, and he will be a victim of numbers. At OLB, I think the 4th spot will be between Bishop, Beltré and Lemonier. EDIT: I originally had Harris making the team due to the Jets fearing they could lose him if they tried to pass him through waivers, but now think he is probably going to the PS, and have Carter making the team.

CORNERBACKS (6
    )
    Retained: Juston Burris, Morris Claiborne, Buster Skrine, Darryl Roberts, Dexter McDougle, Marcus Williams
    Cut: Jeremy Clark, Derrick Jones, Xavier Coleman, David Rivers
    Analysis: McDougle has earned a spot on this team. Marcus Williams has had a pretty good TC based on what I've read. I think Burris takes over as the outside CB opposite Claiborne and Skrine sticks to the slot. Surprise cut here is Marcus Williams who has no guaranteed money and can add to the cap savings ($2.746M). According to reports I've read, Derrick Jones has made progress in camp, but is still pretty raw, so I think they put him on the PS. If he makes the team, it will probably be over Williams. Jeremy Clark has never even stepped on the field for the Jets. He will go on PUP or IR. Xavier Coleman has promise, but has missed some time in camp. I think he may be a PS candidate as well.

SAFETIES (4)
    Retained:
    Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye, Rontez Miles, Shamarko Thomas
    Cut: Doug Middleton, Ronald Martin, Robenson Therezie
    Analysis: It's a shame that Middleton got injured. He would have made the team and been a good contributor. I think Shamarko Thomas now makes the team over him Ronald Martin.

SPECIAL TEAMS (3)
    Retained:
    Ross Martin, Lachlan Edwards, Tanner Purdum
    Cut: Chandler Catanzaro
    Analysis: Cantazaro has mostly been inconsistent/bad in TC and Ross Martin has been solid. Martin was excellent in TC last year, then had a meltdown in preseason. If he avoids another meltdown, he should win the K job.

If Firkser sticks, normally, the Jets might only keep 2 TEs since Firkser can also play that position, but I think they like Vander Laan so much, and Gragg is a solid vet, so I think they keep at least 3 TEs. If they don't keep 3, then they'll probably look to keep either another CB, OLB or maybe even DL.

#17 NCJetsfan, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

^ @NCJetsfan I agree with your entire offense prediction, except I think Vander Laan offers more than Gragg at TE.
    Gabe Marks also an outside shot to lock a WR spot. If not I think PS.

On defense, I like your DL picks.
    Secondary seems about right, although I won't count out CB Jones or S Martin.

at LB I don't think Connor Harris is ready. He was getting swallowed up against the run in game 1.
    He'd have to play great on specials to land a spot. I definitely would keep Bruce Carter, and may even look for a scrap heap improvement over Stanford who didn't impress me last year.

Also you didn't name the 4th OLB. Who you got if Mauldin cut? maybe Bishop...
    Hopefully the guys step up and make that a good battle.
    I still say our LB"s are the weak link.

19. NCJetsfan

Thanks.

I think Vander Laan has a TON of potential. I haven't seen anything about his blocking, but I have read several times how high the Jets are on him, and that he has been impressive in TC. I may be mistaken about Gragg, but think I've read that he's a very good blocker and decent receiver. If they keep Gragg, I hope that we can get Vander Laan onto the PS. I'd be happy if the Jets kept all 4 TEs, especially with the way the WRs are looking.

Jones definitely has a shot at CB. He was supposedly one of the top performers in TC this past week, but is supposedly still very raw. I could be mistaken, but don't think he would have a problem passing through waivers and making it onto the PS, whereas I don't think Roberts or Williams would, if they're even eligible.

The reason I picked Thomas over Martin at S, was that I haven't read anything positive about Martin in TC this year and read a couple of positive things about Thomas. According to a poster or two here Martin played well last week in the 1st preseason game, and Thomas didn't play. We'll see how they both play tonight and in the next couple of weeks.

I'm sure that Harris is probably raw. The Jets supposedly really like him and may fear that he won't make it through waivers. Carter is a good STer, and pretty good depth, so again, I won't be upset if they keep Carter and are able to get Harris onto the PS. You aren't finding anyone better than Stanford. He has had a great TC, was rated the Jets best LBer in last week's preseason game, and has been making lots of plays in practice. Conner Hughes even speculated that Stanford could conceivably push Davis or Lee for a starting spot. If that's even close to accurate, it would be a big mistake to imo to cut him. He's a very good STer as well.

Yeah, I intentionally didn't name the 4th OLB. I wanted to wait until after tonight's game. IMO it's too close to call. Beltré and Bishop have gotten a lot of 1st team reps and made some plays in practice and Lemonier has been quiet, but I read that Lemonier played very well last week, and again tonight. At this point I'm saying it will be Lemonier because of his experience. I just added him as the last LBer.

20. thegoldengod

thegoldengod Active Member

Thomas looks to be running with the 1st unit STs, so that would seem to be his edge.
    Is Harris getting any PT, seemed to be the last man in last night- and Carter playing solid (I think Harris could make it through waivers...)
    The bottom of the roster seems much better than last season- which should benefit STs, but injuries may ultimately dictate the numbers game (as it did with Middleton)