Official NASCAR Thread

Discussion in 'Crystal Ball' started by GreenMachine, Feb 15, 2010.

1. GreenMachine

For us NASCAR fans.

So we do not piss off the BS forum guys.

Go Tony!!!!

2. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Whoo hoo! Finally! Tony Stewart fan signing in.

That hour and 45 mins fixing a pot hole was something. Holy shit! Nice finish thou, I really thought Jr was going to take it.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been discussed here or not and if it creates a mess I'll cancel this post immediately... but... could you explain to a european what is so fascinating about cars going around in a circle (or an oval or whatever) for 500 laps?

4. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

im an american and im still trying to figure that one out

5. Pam

Pam TGG.com Friendliest Poster Fourpeat!!

Same preface is speed skating, the fastest wins. Plus there are tactical maneuvers like knowing when to change tires, gas up in the pits, having your spotter tell you when to move into a hole. A driving game of strategy by pit bosses and drivers.

And wrecks are pretty cool too.

6. rcali2524

rcali2524 New Member

a lot more to it then all of you haters may think. Along with knowing when to change tires, pit etc. There also is a whole aspect on setting up the car to the specific track to run your fastest. Is the car too loose or to tight going around the turns? do you need more weight on one corner or the other? Cars going 185 at 8900 rpms is unbelievable. Knowing when to pass and how to draft your opponent is very strategical and exciting. Not only are the big tracks awesome but the short tracks see some of the best action hands down. Put on a nascar race when they are in bristol and martinsville and tell me you arent hooked on watching it. While going around in a circle for 200 laps may bore some people i find it to be very exciting and gives me something to watch once football ends and something to look foward to every weekend other then football. Baseball bores me to death watching it and same with basketball. Put on the race this weekend at fontana and then come back and hate all you want. Guaranteed you might find interest in it. Hell if your not up for watching the whole race put on the last 20 laps and see all the action that goes down. One of the best sports in America if you ask me, behind football of course. Martin Truex fan here by the way.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Ok but if the strategic part is the one you like the most why don't you watch formula 1? Technology is extremely more advanced adn they turn right too :p

I'm not a fan of formula 1 but I think at least there pilots have to be really skilled because every turn is different (and the go faster)... Nascar looks like somebody bent a highway (yes Highways are that small in Italy) and guys are overtaking each-other at rush hour...

It's not meant to be an offense :) Everyone has their fav sport and I respect that...

PS I watched some Bristol vids on youtube and thought the best things were the crashes and the colors of the cars :p

Oh well, enjoy your NASCAR races :beer:

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Checkin in a day late lol, vickers ATW!

9. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

That's why a lot of open wheel drivers come to Nascar and utterly fail. :breakdance:

Oh yeah.....Tony fan here!

10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

btw bristol is AWESOME to be at

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I guess it's because no driving skill is needed so it all depends on the car/strategy etc...

I've never seen a NASCAR pilot go to open formula 1 though :) Must mean something too...

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I was really disappointed w/ the 500 yesterday. Go Gordon!

13. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

[youtube]vjOqN8uqYR0[/youtube]

14. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

An official Nascar thread on TGG. Somewhere, a cat woman just keeled over dead of a heart attack. :shit:

15. SyracuseJet

I think you have it backwards. Open wheel cars are easier to drive then Nascar. I'm not knocking them, but open wheel has one concept....race as fast as possible. Nascar makes you fight a 3400 lbs car where F1 is usually around 1300 lbs, and they're both pumping about the same HP, nascar 800, F1 800-1000. This is like debating soccer and football. Two different concepts. I'm not knocking open wheel, just not my cup of tea.

16. GreenMachine

Plus I think NASCAR has more work for the driver. Racing at 190 MPH just inches from the guy in front of you is amazing.

17. tubby

tubby Active Member

NASCAR has falling so far since they implemented the chase. such a stupid concept which basically gives johnson the title every year. This damn thing has taken 2 championships away from Jeff Gordon who should have gone down as the second best ever (behind petty of course) I used to love nascar now i can't watch it because it's become such a joke

18. SyracuseJet

So Gordon, if he had won those, would have 6 titles and somehow be ranked ahead of Dale Earnhardt who has 7?

19. tubby

tubby Active Member

he has more wins and races in a more competitive age. notice how Earnhardt didn't win 1 championship since Gordon came onto the scene? the year kurt busch won the championship, gordon would have won under the original rules and i think it was '06 when he had a 400 point lead going into the chase but when the chase started he was down 20, fucking bull shit if you ask me. Gordon ended up with 31 top 10 finishes that year and didn't win. the chase is a crock. Gordon would have ended up ahead of DE had the joke that is the chase never been implemented.

20. GreenMachine

your logic is twisted.

BTW, to me the Cup is crap anyway...I only care who wins the race...