Official FA Signing Thread...& FA Wishlist

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think that Dee Ford might be a good guy to seriously explore. If he'd be willing to come here and somehow fit into the budget.

KurtTheJetsFan and BacktoQueens like this.
  2. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

If KC doesn't re-sign him. He'll be the best available option if Lawrence and Clowney stay with their teams.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The beginning of modern FA in the NFL and the end of rooting for players on one team for their entire careers. Changed the game forever.

4. Pepsiguy5

My assumption is that we'd have to overpay him in the sense that for similar $$$ he'd stay with KC but maybe we have the resources to do that.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am of an opinion that, if you are trying to build a team that can win with Sam now, then starting the OL from scratch by drafting them now is not the way to go.

The reason is, college football programs do not produce enough good OL prospects that are ready to go in day 1 any more. So, a sensible approach would be to build an OL through FA now, then start filling them up starting next year, preferably with mid-range picks [3~5, most likely.] By the time these expensive FA OLs are leaving as a cap casualty, the kids will be ready to take over.

All the expensive OL members on the current roster should be canned.

By canning Spencer Long and Brian Winters, Jets shave about 13M with no dead money. Kelvin Beachum cut will save another 6.5M, with 1.5M on the dead money. Even after Beachum cut, Jets will have but 2.4M dead money on the cap. [Mac did this right, at least.]

With the three gone, Jets cap space balloons to nearly 120M. They should be able to construct a serviceable OL out of that space, if anything.

===================================

That said, I would like 5 OLs and 1 pass rushers out of the FA pool. Especially if Jets can grab either Demarcus Lawrence or any other premier pass rusher, they can pair him up with either Josh Allen or Nick Bosa, depending on the situation. Then they can spend the rest of the draft picks on skill position players on offense, and wrap up the off-season. If Gase and Williams are as good as advertised, then that should be more than sufficient to lead this team to mediocrity. [We will start worrying about winning once we get to mediocrity first.]

#65 Zach, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Trent Brown, Pat's LT. He's a UFA and looking good from what I've seen. If he gets free he should be a target

Mr mittens and BacktoQueens like this.
  7. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

100%. I mentioned this previously.
    He might be the biggest guy in the league. Has been holding his own at LT, but has played RT in past and I wonder if that might be his better position.
    Would be one of my top targets.

Mr mittens and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  8. Pepsiguy5

I can't imagine the Patriots let him go. But I'd be elated if he'd be willing to take our money and go green.

9. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

I did a really quick search. Some of these guys might have resigned and some might not be worth looking at and some might be missing from the list that are free and we should consider. I know we are not getting them all but guys that we should look into and sign a few. Weirdly it is defensive heavy. Not many WRS or RBS. Offensive linemen were hard to find too. I'll look more closely and list ones we definitely should try to sign later.

1. Grady Jarret DT Falcons
    2. Tevin Coleman RB Falcons
    3. CJ Mosley LB Ravens (I think they'll resing him)
    4. Demarcul Lawerence LB/DE Cowboys (I think he gets free. I think the Cowboys sign Dak, Elliot and Cooper and can't pay him).
    5. Clowney DE Texans. Don't think he becomes free. Not a big fan but if he is we have to look at him.
    6. TJ Yeldon: Is he better than Crowell? After hearing Coughlin in the last game do we want him?
    7. Allen Bailey DT Chiefs
    8. Dee Ford LB DE Chiefs
    9. Mitch Morse C Chiefs
    10. Tyrell Williams Chargers
    11. Brandon Graham
    12. Leveon Bell: We have to talk to him. Not on board with money and age but if we signed him we couldn't be that upset
    13. Cliff Avril
    14. Frank Clark
    15. Ali Marpit C Bucs
    16. Mark Ingram

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

O-Line
    Edge Rusher
    Get a True #1 Receiver ...

I don't care How. FA, Draft, get these done.

Mr mittens and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

1. Le’veon Bell (Coleman as a backup plan)
    2. DeMarcus Lawrence (Ford as a backup plan)
    3. Golden Tate, Tyrell Williams or Funchess

Beyond that, I don’t care. Find the best OL you can via FA or draft, draft a pass rusher (Allen if we are moving to 4-3), draft a receiver.

Royal Tee likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's frustrating because they've dedicated so many damn resources to the position over the last 5 years or so but cornerback is still a big need. There will need to be some signings or draft picks there. Skrine and Morris Claiborne are both Free Agents and its probably a good idea not to resign them but then there's just Tru Johnson and a bunch of scrubs left on the roster.

So a cornerback signing (or 2) will be necessary....

I know

13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Not sure why people think Bell is a viable option considering Gase's coaching philosophy.

The two are in direct opposition.

I get that this is a wish list thread but we should operating under the actual constraints that surround the team.

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I tried to say this and got lambasted for it. Look out.

15. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What if he turns out to be Solder II? Brady makes lotsa guys look better than they are over there.

16. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Bell can catch the ball too.

He's a great player.

If Gase can't figure out what to do with great players he's got problems. It's not about his 'philosophy' it's about adapting how he coaches to his players that's (I hope) part of his maturation as a HC.

He was fired in Miami. He needs to get better as a HC.

17. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I believe the Cowboys have to pay Cooper, DeMarcus, Rayne and Zeke; at least in due time. Hoping they foolishly let DeMarcus walk because you know we'll be ready to throw the bag at him.

18. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

In addition to a bunch of cash....the Jets can offer him a 4-3 D now so we got that going for us.

19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

That's assuming we do in fact hire Williams.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The reason Bell won't be on the Jets has nothing to do with Bell's production on the field.