Offensive line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by matt robinson 17, Aug 28, 2017.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Sorry can't find an oline thread. Please remove your head from your ass Mac and get some oline help, whoever plays QB to start the season will get killed. 1998 we had Fabini, Jenkins, Mawae, Thomas all young and pissed them all away....now we have nothing. Should have kept Mangold and Decker to at least give Petty or Hack some help. Same old shit franchise....

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I've been complaining about it for years now. We haven't put first round picks into the O-line since '06. Too bad we've drafted defense first round for the past 2000 years.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm beginning to give the fisheye to our oline coaching. I find it hard to believe that ever since Bowles got here, his offensive staff has been substandard. Steve Marshall has been here 3 years now and the oline has never been more than mediocre at best. Could be talent, could be technique too. While I realize the offense has been nothing more than a afterthought, it's become apparent that neither this HC, his staff nor his GM has a viable plan for developing the oline. Maybe Morton can bring some semblance of a modern offensive system to this woebegone franchise but without an oline, it won't really matter who's coaching, who's QBing or who's receiving.

#3 Cman68, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    matt robinson 17 and CBG like this.
  4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The right tackle was completely lost on that safety v. the Giants.

Cman68 likes this.
  5. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I don't think theres a thread on O LINE but I know guys have been talking O line for quite a while. Many including myself have posted about Macs attitude towards the O LINE and posted direct quotes from him. Our GM has been laid back from DAY 1 , and in my opinion NEVER thought that drafting lineman was the formula , he felt you could solidify thru FREE AGENCY------------> so my question for our GM and anyone who still buys into the GM being the right guy for the job and competent ------->its 2017 , HOW IS THE OFFENSIVE LINE LOOKING THESE DAYS ?
    2018 can't come fast enough, rebuild in year 3 what a joke !

Cman68 likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Going to be really interesting to see how the Jets get this line back to respectability. Hopefully, they don't out and just buy one. Would be nice to see if they can grab a QB, LT and C from next year's draft.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's a sad, sad group this year. When freakin brian winters might be your best lineman you know you have a horrible unit

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Again, I'm not excusing Mac for not addressing the OL in the draft in a more significant fashion, but until I read proof otherwise, I will continue to believe that Mac had no choice his first two years here. Woody had a mandate to "win now." He was tired of the team not being in the playoffs and had been talking about it for a couple of years. He doesn't have the football knowledge to know that a complete rebuild was needed.

Even with a "competitive rebuild" Mac could and should have done more to upgrade/improve the OL. The point can pretty easily be made that one of the quickest ways to upgrade a team's offense is to upgrade its OL.

By and large, I agree with the philosophy that an excellent, topnotch OL can be built without using 5 first round picks on it. I think the LT almost has to be a first round pick, and probably the RT too. I think the interior positions can be built with 2nd round and lower picks if one has time (years to rebuild a team). Most teams (including owners and fans) don't have the patience for a long rebuild. So, in a competitive rebuild scenario, one doesn't have time to wait for a mid- or lower-round pick to develop. One has to find players who can come in, start, and play at a high level immediately. Thus, in a competitive rebuild scenario, Mac should have been using a lot of his earlier draft picks on the OL Again, Brick and Mangold were nearing the end. At most they only had 2-3 seasons left. Maybe Mac thought they would play better longer than they did or he'd be able to sign FAs to replace them since they had a ton of cap space, but if so, not only was that a misjudgment, it was a risky approach, rather than insuring that their replacements were on board and ready to go. In addition, once he failed to sign both Mike Iupati and Orlando Franklin (or was it Clint Boling), he should have known that fixing the OL through FA was probably not going to be so easy.

In fairness, however, I'm not sure any rookie GM would think about that (quickly upgrading the OL via the draft), and with all the holes the Jets had and lack of depth, it's pretty easy to make the point that other positions could have been prioritized instead.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Looks like Shell isn't going to take that step up either. That right side has been a disgrace.

Doreblade likes this.
  10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

I sure hope they can get some depth for this unit after the cuts because we might be forced into running the single wing with Forte or Powell due to lack of qbs due to death.

K'OB and boozer32 like this.
  11. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

Mangold is still out there and available............?

boozer32 likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sign that beast! :D

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Hopefully the next FO/CS realizes the importance of an offense. I would have no problem if next draft was devoted entirely to offense with an offensive minded leader running things. Yet we will still have some nitwits on here begging for a CB in 1st rd.

14. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It really depends on what the draft is strong at, if there is a legit BPA and he is a CB then you have to take him unless there is a LT or OLB that make up the top 3, in that case it's between LT and OLB.

The Jets just don't draft well and maybe it is because they have had defensive minded HC, but Mangini was a defensive minded HC and he and Mike T built a good team.

Bottom line is, it depends on philosophy, the team reflects the philosophy of the CS and FO.

FJF likes this.
  15. Attackett

I'll say it right now, if the next FO/CS take a CB in top 5 I want them fired on the spot. Its BOPA in every round next draft or bust.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

this organization lacks an identity big time. It's been that way for awhile now.

17. Cman68

Just one question: When does Offense take Priority? Perhaps after McClown's career gets ended by a unblocked rusher? Maybe if it was Hack getting smoked by a rusher with a 15yd head start Macc might pay more attention to his Oline.

Macc has not done anything to upgrade or even patch this shitwork of personnel he presently has protecting his most valuable assets. He seems content to allow his Qbs to be abused as long as it isn't his prized 2nd rd pick. Even after the upcoming roster cuts, Macc will most likely go dumpster diving and trot out some slob that can neither pass block or run block.

At this rate, even if the Jets finish in the top 3, any of the top Qb's coming out of college should pray they don't get picked by the Jets. All they'd have to do is watch tape and see this FO/CS DGAF about anything other than defense.

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Mangold could have solidified the line, even Willie Colon is better than this crap

19. Attackett

Do you even follow Jets news bro?? Jets just made a trade today to protect their most valuable asset.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. Cman68

would that be their own asses by some chance??