Observations Of sucessful teams around the NFL

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 24, 2018.

1. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

pretty sure I saw an article a year or so back that showed that every team that has been successful on a long term basis has during that time had a top 10 QB on the team with the exception of the Ravens - so basically get a great QB and a decent coach and away you go.

stinkyB likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

that's a huge part for sure. the 1 position that handles the ball every play has the most impact on the game

3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Nope. He just moonwalked all that back and he will not be calling any defensive plays. Its his defense so he is responsible. I mean it has to fall on him because Rodgers is equally horrible at his job. So they are either setting up Rodgers to take the fall or Bowles has no integrity. Its the same reason all the Bellichek tree scrubs don't do as well when they leave the nest. Its because Bellichek knows all that is going on with that team. They may be OC's and DC's but it his game plan they are implementing.

4. boozer32

Listen you asked for a list.10-6? You must have switched from Boone Farm to meth. They won't sniff double digit wins till Bowles is long gone.

5. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Look i enjoy the drink but lets refrain from making me sound like some two dollar hobo lol and if he did it once with talent on the roster why cant he do it again. lol

boozer32 likes this.
  6. boozer32

Some on this board said the 1st year team was full of bums and it was entirely Bowles that the Jets went 10-6. I agree with you on this the 10-6 team had talent and it wasnBowels coaching scared that cause them to miss the playoffs.

7. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

You make a good point here. But you have to run the ball or otherwise defenses like the Jags will start teeing off on your QB. Maybe I should restate over 30 throws a game statement. It is not just the number of throws but the type of throws. If Darnold were to throw 40 times but at least 1/2 of the throws are under 10 yards, then no problem. If 30 or more throws are over 10 yards, then Houston we have a problem here.

Keep in mind Bates is introducing a new offensive system. This also creates a learning curve.

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The Head Coach is responsible for everything - it's all very simple. Do I need to put up a picture of Harry Truman and the sign on his desk again?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

I wanna see Darnold scramble more. I feel like a lot of the times he has open field in front of him and chooses to throw it. He needs to make more plays with his legs.

10. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

They missed Playoffs cause fitz turned into fitz end of the season.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

well that sucks. rodgers needs to pull his head out of his ass. also patricia just stomped out belicheck and made brady look like a rookie but yeah overall his coaching tree has been bad on their own

boozer32 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

yes you do need to run the ball. every good offense has balance but sometimes in a game time becomes a factor and running the ball is no longer feasible. There are also times where it's flat out not working and making things more difficult on the offense and in those cases you need to use the short quick passing game to replace the run game and get creative. you can't run on every 1st and 2nd down and leave the team with 3rd and 8+ every 3rd down. it's a recipe for disaster. you have to stay in 3rd and manageable downs

it doens't quite work like that. that's like saying elon musk is responsible for the janitor to make sure he empties the garbage every day and if he doens't elon musk should be fired for it. indirectly it's true hence why the HC receives all the blame/glory of a teams sucess/failure but in reality not so much.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If Elon Musk walked into his building and saw it not cleaned, he would certainly be able to know that, and also would certainly direct the janitors to clean it. But that example isn't equivalent to a HC and his DC/OC, is it? All HCs come up through the ranks and are either a DC or OC before becoming HC. In fact, Bowles was a DC, so he would be fully aware and knowledgeable about how to run a defense for sure, and would likely be conversant with offenses from being a player and coach for so many years, conversant enough to know whether something is working or not. In short, a HC should be accountable for ALL aspects of the performance of his team, and rightfully so since he's well versed in all aspects - or should be - of running a team.

That said, the problems that Bowles has had might be due to the fact that the duties and responsibilities of being a HEAD Coach are much greater than he was prepared to take on, despite all of his experience. Of course this might be true for any coordinator newly promoted to HC, and why a lot of DC/OCs don't work out. Bowles is in his 4th year and still struggles with game management and disciplinary methods. Maybe during the course of this season these problems will be solved, or maybe it'll take another year or two or three. Maybe that's acceptable for some fans, especially fans who haven't followed this team for as long as I have, but it's not for me. I want to see the Jets in another SB - preferably winning it - before I die, and that's not hyperbole, it's a real possibility that they might go another decade or more before they get there. Aside from getting their FQB candidate - FINALLY! - I don't see any significant progress towards that imminent goal, and I don't see anything in Bowles that makes me feel confident that he can take this team to the SB in this time frame.

Bowles is in over his head.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Musk is responsible for his building being clean. No one expects him to be giving daily instructions to the cleaning staff but the building services manager reports to someone who reports to someone else who gets paid to take care of these things. Chain of command is a very real concept, and for good reason. Do you expect Musk to simply walk through a dirty lobby into a filthy, stinking men's room and not have someone to call about it? Do you expect whoever he calls to say "That's not my job?"

15. boozer32

Well said, We talk endlessly about the team progressing or overachieving (lol) but Bowles hasn't at all. Sorry but this guy does not get it at all. He constantly loses the same way each and every year. Bland play, blown coverages, stupid mistakes/penalties, and zero creativity. Enough is enough.

16. boozer32

It should not have even gotten that far. Fitz had the best season in his life and the Jets got blown out twice by Buffalo that year. That is what cost them the season. It was also the last season they even came close to beating New England losing both games by a combined 3.