Observations Of sucessful teams around the NFL

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by GasedAndConfused, Sep 24, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

So while watching all the games Sunday it really made the offensive play calling of bates to this point, look pretty bad IMO. We can't just run, run, short pass every series. It's too predictable. We haven't taken deep shots and we don't tend to mix it up. It seems bates has it in his head we can just line up and win every play. This expects way too much of your team and puts way too much pressure on a rookie QB. I mean how many 3rd and longs do you expect darnold to throw on? The only time i seen something creative was week 1 on 3rd and 2 when we took a deep shot to robbie on 3rd and 2 and it resulted in a 41 yard TD. Instead of using that he's game planned out our biggest play maker on offense. Powell is our best receiving back and has proved to be a mismatch on LBers over and over again. yet against Cleveland he caught 0 passes? The week before that he got 5 for 74 and a TD. meanwhile teams like the saints are using kamara in that role in great sucess. The dolphins got us on creative plays 2-3 times on 3rd down so we never got a chance to tie it up and they got oakland on a couple of big TDs as well. Cleveland used the "philly special" on us for a 2 point conversion but the jets offense is about as lackluster as you can imagine. All over the NFL i see teams getting wide open WRs due to good play calls, taking deep shot, and giving their best players chances to win 1 on 1, while the jets play safe and conservative. I think right now the biggest issue we have on offense is the playcalling. We need to be more aggressive and keep defenses thinking

NYJ79, Royal Tee, boozer32 and 4 others like this.
  2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

We are also back to that pre snap motion every snap. While I know it is designed to see coverage I think it just wastes times and gives a tell on the play we are about to run

3. GasedAndConfused

it's fine to do as long as we can get to the line quick enough. Another thing we are missing is the hurry up. it's nice to throw it in once in a while when it's not expected to throw the defense off balance and wear out their pass rush and not allow for substitutions

4. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

to piggyback on this thought, I'd like to see Sam attempt to run the offense without thinking too much and see him get in a flow this way.

Maybe he's still too green to do it, but I'd like to try it personally

5. GasedAndConfused

in the hurry up they can easily dumb it down as well to make life easier. 1 read deep, option 2 dump off to the HB, option 3 throw away. he doesn't need to survey 4-5 live targets every play ever.

6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

it could be that they're taking what the defense gives them, and when they're not they're throwing interceptions

It could be a still young team not handling adversity well. Landry made an incredible catch that Middleton had covered well. If Doug had ripped Landry's arm down as he had his fingertips on it, we win the game.

Likewise, not that he's paid to catch the ball, but if Doug caught the ball that bounced off his chest we win.

I could be wrong but I'm not in the camp blaming the OC at this point. It could be mediocre receivers against decent coverage in a much-improved Browns team.

Enunwa is our only reliable receiver at this point, and has benefitted from Kearse's blocking

RObby has been a non-factor and that could be because our O-line can't protect Sam long enough for Robbie to get separation (at least not against good pass rushes from Miami -- yes they have one -- or Browns -- Myles is a force)

Pryor is super inconsistent

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

My observation about successful teams is that they have good players put their players in a position to succeed. They also play aggressively and aren't afraid to take risk. We should be at least 2-2 or even 3-0, but because of bad coaching, we're 1-2 and staring at a brutal next 5 games.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

We need Sean McVay or Andy Reid, with an above average QB and great offensive weapons.

If we can get that, we'll be golden.

LAJet likes this.
  9. GasedAndConfused

the problem is the play designs. the successful teams often design plays that gets a guy pretty wide open here and there for a big play. we don't. it's not a talent issue it's a play design issue. you run route coverage to legally "pick" DBs in man or to force a guy in zone to decide between 2 Wrs and which one he will cover leaving the other one open. Teams also take the chance on big blitzes and go deep knowing they have 1 on 1 to give their WRs the chance to make a play. Right now our offense is too run heavy when it doens't work leaving us in obvious pass downs so pass rushers can tee off and play max coverage on the mack end and darnold is often having to survey the field every play with little protection. The timing stuff only works if you o-line gives the QB time to deliver on time but when darnold has to slide in the pocket to buy time it throws off the timing of the whole play then he is stuck in a scramble drill far too often. You can't move the ball like that every play.

exactly!
    except guys like that don't fall off trees. there are probably 25 teams or more in the NFL trying to find the next andy reid and even he got fired from philly

10. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

Like when it was 4th and 2 in the Browns territory and we kick the field goal instead of going for it. We knew the momentum was turning. Shouldve went for it and put up 7 to put a foot on their throat.

we dont do that....ever

11. GasedAndConfused

yup. we are a "nothing to lose team" this year. no reason to not take risks

12. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

My observation of good teams is that they draft properly. They don't take defensive players for 10 years in a row when the game is going to offense. They don't select work out warriors but football players. They draft people in the mid to late rounds that contribute. For years our drafts have been brutal. All defense all the time and work out warriors. I don't know if it's scouting or gms but something has to change.

13. GasedAndConfused

literally role playing talent players are coming up big for teams. it's not a lack of talent. you think grant and/or wilson are better Wrs then what we have? i sure as hell don't but look how miami put them in positions to make big plays in a close game. they aren't a talented team, but they are just better coached then us. they have a good D but their offense is getting by on good playcalling not talent.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

They ran some plays yesterday against Oakland that were jaw dropping ... beautiful play design, and execution ...

15. GasedAndConfused

exactly and even their plays against us on 3rd down on that last drive to keep the ball and the clock moving were brilliant and tricked our defense. if that's the jets we pound the ball 3 times then punt it back and play prevent defense

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Didn't Bowles in effect fire Morton because he didn't believe in a run-first system? I think Bates might be trying to make his boss happy with all the predictable run calls and as a result, the passing game suffers.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yeah, 'cause you know what an offensive genius Bowles is.:rolleyes:

I mean the HC should be involved in game planning and play book development and play calling such that if he sees that his OC's gameplan isn't working he can suggest changes or even override it if necessary, BUT...that's based upon the assumption that said HC actually KNOWS something about offense, and in Bowles's case that's not true. The only thing worse than Bowles not being involved in the offense is Bowles BEING engaged in the offense.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

pass plot from the browns game. sheesh.

[​IMG]

19. GasedAndConfused

in a sense i think he complained bates passed too much. funny enough we've thrown the ball 100 times and only ran it 77.

20. GasedAndConfused

that's just ugly

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.