NY Rangers 2011-2016 Season + Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by FrankTheTank, Oct 7, 2011.

1. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

in general no it's opposite, if you learn something too early in the season teams have time to adjust

2. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Stepan leads the Rangers with 188 SOG and only has 13 goals, 6.9% shooting pct.....by my account he has missed the net 800 times
    Stepan 47.7% faceoff pct

#20042 matt robinson 17, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

As I have said to every single person who has tried to defend Derek Stepan's performance to me: He can't score goals, and he can't win face-offs. Other than that, he is a fine NHL center!

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. GordonGecko

he's among the worst on the team and that's an endemic problem on this team. It's like they don't practice hitting the net

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Same story Stepan stays an hour after every practice to practice his shooting, picking corners.....hit the fuckin' net!

6. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I brought up his stats on the Rangers forum and you'd think I took a shit on everyone's doorstep.

But he has so many points per season! I mean, not $8m point totals, but so good!

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  7. HackettSuxTNG

The thing that amazes me about Stepan is that this NOT news... This has been going on for years...

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/s/stepade01.html

Other than the lockout year, he has been awful. He highest goal total was 22. He has never had a face-off percentage greater than 50%. It blows my mind that not only does he get praised by this team, but he has been chosen to be part of team USA on more than one occasion (Olympics, World Cup)!

8. HackettSuxTNG

Did they bring up irrelevant stat-tracking measurements? Stepan defenders love to bring up stuff like Corsi and Fenwick and WAR-Wonton Soup

matt robinson 17 and Red Menace like this.
  9. HackettSuxTNG

He is the PostMaster General!

10. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

ok so its very very safe to say that at this very moment the Rangers definitely cannot beat washington, pittsburgh, columbus, montreal, and i want no part of the islanders whatsoever in the playoffs if they make it.
    thats 5 of 7 teams that they cannot beat as far as i can see, not too rosey a scenario, nobody wants me to be wrong more than myself but i honestly dont think i am right now.
    my chick scored me 4th row tickets for saturday night out here against the Kings, hey its a road game they have a shot haa haa!

11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The isles had no business winning that game, the Rangers left so many scoring chances on the table, I thought they were going to blow them out.

Tough loss but it's a matter of time before they start converting on those missed opportunities.

#20051 Red Menace, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    TommyJ likes this.
  12. HackettSuxTNG

But that's part of the game - FINISHING your chances, and whether its Hayes or Stepan, we do not have a center who is capable of finishing rebound opportunities that most SECOND LINE CENTERS in the league can finish.

Again, I simply do not understand the outright negligence that the center position has gotten from this organization for the better part of 10 years!

Red Menace likes this.
  13. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

grabner had the best chance of all and didnt convert last night, had half the goal open and didnt bury it.
    i played hockey growing up, what looks easy to the eyes on tv isnt that easy at all down there on the ice though, its really true.

Red Menace likes this.
  14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

They brought up that he has tons of points per season and he has just as many points as Nash or Zuc so he's an elite player like them.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Rangers are very good. But some fans have trouble recognizing it. Same reason there were Fire Garrett threads on Cowboys forums when Dallas lost to Green Bay. And why there were Fire McCarthy threads when Green Bay lost to Atlanta. And Fire Quinn threads when Atlanta lost to New England.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. GordonGecko

They are very good, and contrary to mob rule Vigneault is an excellent coach. But he might be fatally flawed in terms of being able to make that last adjustment. There are plenty of coaches who aren't as good but that know how to close the deal. Even a monkey like Tortorella won a Stanley Cup

Bottom line though is the Rangers have as good a chance as anyone to win the cup and better than most teams

17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Vigneault is one of the biggest winners in the NHL and he's been to the finals twice, so the only argument is he can't win the Cup. But if you treat winning a finals like flipping a coin (which is fair because both teams are really good), it's very plausible he just hasn't gotten lucky yet. IMO no other coach is more likely to help the Rangers win the Cup, and nearly all are much less likely.

18. GordonGecko

Sidney Crosby just ended Marc Methot's season and put his career into question after almost severing his finger in tonight's game. But obviously since Crosby is a misunderstood genius expect Pierre McGuire's boyfriend to get off scott free

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That was gross. Poor guy.

20. GordonGecko

If the players were reversed, the NHL would request a formal FBI investigation and call in a special prosecutor

The Dark Knight and TommyJ like this.