NY Post: Joe Namath says he is a believer in Gase-Darnold pairing

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

https://nypost.com/2019/01/12/joe-namath-is-believer-in-adam-gase-sam-darnold-pairing/

Joe Namath is believer in Adam Gase-Sam Darnold pairing

Joe Namath is excited about the hiring of Adam Gase and his pairing with Sam Darnold.
    “I like him. I like what I’ve seen of him,” Namath told The Post. “I like the way he sounds, I like his personality. I think he sees a great opportunity here with the Jets, and certainly with the young quarterback. He sees a great opportunity to get something going here.

“I’m excited about him coming. I believe he can do it.”

Namath said he believes Darnold can do it and labels him “a potential All-Pro quarterback” one day.

“Whenever I’ve met him, and I’ve only met him a couple occasions, I like his demeanor, I like the looking in the
    eye, I like his enthusiasm,” Namath said. “But I also like what his players, his teammates and his coaches have had to say about him in this one year, even throughout the year.

“He’s a young workhorse, he gives it effort, he’s out there trying, and he’s improving. I’ve seen him make basically about every throw that you need to make, and he’s gonna get better, he’s just gonna get better.”

Namath, 50 years after Super Bowl III, recognizes that Darnold will need a better team around him first.

“They have a potential great safety [Jamal Adams] back there and they have a potential All-Pro quarterback,” Namath said. “You’ve gotta get some other guys stepping up.”

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, but more and more people are coming out loving the hire:

Tony Romo
    Peyton Manning
    Joe Namath
    Alshon Jeffrey
    John Fox

And there are many more, just can't remember them all.

3. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Brook! likes this.
  4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

What were the Dolphins thinking?

All they had to do was try a different QB a QB picked by the regime they had in place instead they fire everyone.

Oh well now we'll all get to see what Gase can do with a young QB not named Tannehill.:)

5. Falco21

Well that's classic of the Dolphins. They do that shit all the time. They fire or trade everyone, which is why they keep finding themselves in misery year after year. Not to mention they are morons when it comes to using their cap money, Suh is a perfect example of that.

They are dead set on Tannehill. Until they change QBs, they will forever be mediocre. Gase was their only hope and they canned him

6. Lies! No one can possibly like this hire! Add Joe to the list of folks who spoke out & got the “good”baby powder!

7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Pennington

8. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Tannehill only played in 23 out of 48 games & he had a winning record with him. Most of his losses were with Cutler, Moore, & Brock. Sam is leaps & bounds better than all 4 of the QB's he coached in Miami.

FJF and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

10. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Would you expect Namath to say anything different? It's funny, and someone had mentioned this same sentiment earlier in the week, that the Jets LOVE going to Namath for validation. On anything. We'll get the same thing in April when the new logo & jerseys are revealed.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Respected people said positive things about Bowles too. I don't give a crap about what respected people say unless they have actual skin in the game. Then we see what they really think.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. Falco21

Difference is, Bowles was a glorified defensive coordinator with ZERO head coaching experience. Gase has been a head coach.

13. HomeoftheJets

It's about skin in the game, not head coaching experience. And respected people were still saying nice things about Bowles right up until it became inevitable he would get fired.

14. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Yeah but what does John B think.

15. statjeff22

It's the opinions of people who don't have skin in the game that might actually be objective evaluations of someone. If Darnold turns out to be bad that will make Romo look bad for saying what he has said; if Gase turns out to ruin Darnold that will make him look like a complete clown. There is no reason to think that he doesn't genuinely believe what he is saying, whereas someone "with skin in the game" has every reason to lie to protect their own interests. Romo, Manning, Jeffrey, Fox all have zero reason to say anything unless they actually believe it. Of course they may very well be wrong, but to dismiss them because they're on the outside seems ridiculous to me.

16. HomeoftheJets

First, by skin in the game, I mean skin in our game. Manning, Jeffrey, and Fox all worked with Gase and like him personally, so they're saying nice things about him. Like how Arians said nice things about Bowles. These guys don't care about the Jets or whether they're right, they're showing their loyalty to a friend. And NFL people like loyalty, so they won't hold it against them if they're wrong.

Romo OTOH is a neutral observer, so I'll put more stock into his opinion. But he knows nobody's going to hold it against him for being wrong either. It's what prognosticators do, bring up all the times they were right and if they're wrong never talk about it again.

17. statjeff22

Well, if we also ignore people with current connections to the Jets (for obvious reasons) that pretty much eliminates everyone with any connection to the NFL (including moron sportswriters and talking heads). And that's perfectly fine too - ultimately the only thing that matters is what's going to happen. But then no one should claim that they're doing anything other than listening to the voices in their own head.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  18. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Trust me due to my Suday tix subscription I see a lot of Miami games & in no shape or form did I say to myself we should hire him :mad:

19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Joe Namath is a Class Act and I believe he is sincere about SD

He will always have some encouraging words and positive sentiments for this Franchise with the 50 year Anniversary of Super Bowl 3 Jets win this weekend :/

From his mouth to Gods ears...

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

FIFY.

Ralebird likes this.