NY Jets vs. Rest Of NFL QB Trade-Up Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsKickAss, Dec 20, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

This is far from a generational draft for QBs. Considering the #1 or 2 prospect , Darnold shouldn't even be entering the draft . There are a handful of prospects with potential and not 1 Andrew luck type prospect. Even Watson last year was head and shoulders above every one of this year's prospects. There will be QBs available when we draft , no need to give up multiple picks for a project.
    I can tell you the headlines coming from the "experts" in April. The 2019 Draft will be loaded with QBs.
    Mayfield could play his way into the top 2 with a good showing in the playoffs. The QBs who may very easily turn out to have the best careers in the NFL aren't even currently considered top 3.
    We definitely need a FQB. But without a team in place, no QB is going to turn into a FQB. Without an O line ,and skill position players, no QB will succeed.
    If we had an O line, run game and better Recievers, I'd be all in on trading up for a good young QB , but trading up for a guy who has to sit until we build the rest of the team around him or until he develops makes no sense.

hwismer and tbruner12 like this.
  2. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Your opinion seems to be based on us taking a QB and ignoring the rest of the glaring needs this team has, which I don't see happening .
    We are going to have upwards of $100m to spend to improve this team ... will we be able to address every need in the first year no, i'm sure we wont... but we have some good young guys that we can add too and i can certainly see us competing .
    The key here are the coaches... with good coaching this team can really make a marked improvement in 2018. Trouble is I don't see Bowles being the guy to do it.

Without a competent signal caller under center you have NOTHING...It's time to rectify that problem or we will continue to be crap.

3. TonyFtLaud

My opinion is based on the quality of this year's QB prospects. . This is not a generational draft. You don't trade up, just to take a QB, you only do so if that QB is worth trading up for.
    Yes we will have $100 Million in cap space, but hopefully Mac targets one or two high end guys, and some lower tier younger guys. You don't blow $100 million on free agents. The majority are free agents for a reason. Age, injury concerns, character issues.
    Sorry but I have seen enough of the band aid, quick fix rebuilds. I'd prefer a couple more losing seasons to get the roster build properly than to go all in next year for maybe 1-2 good seasons followed by talking about the draft in September. Sanchez the sequel? No thanks........

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

We jumped up to 8.

With the loss, Tampa moved up to 4. Damn shame. We could have been 7th.

JetsKickAss, NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. TonyFtLaud

On the bright side, Tampa isn't taking a QB.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. tooooon

tooooon Active Member

If SF wins do we move up?

JetsKickAss likes this.
  7. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

I wouldnt even be mad at paying for a FA QB (Cousins, Tyrod, Smith) and drafting Mayfield with our #2.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think Cousins will sign a short-term contract. He's gonna want a multi-year, big dollar contract. If you do that, there's little point in drafting Mayfield. He could wind up wasting the first 4-5 years of his career sitting on the bench.

If the Jets signed Tyrod or Smith, then they could possibly be signed for a two-year deal, but I doubt it, especially if other teams are after them as well.

Mayfield could quite possibly come in and start day one. Thus, if the Jets have true interest in Mayfield, I hope they don't sign any of those other QBs. Bring back McCown as the backup/mentor, and then either keep one of Petty or Hack to hold the clipboard, or get rid of both of them and draft a developmental QB in the middle or lower rounds.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Fam was just talking about this.

Sign Cousins.
    Re-Sign McCown to back him up.
    Draft QB round 1.

Cut your losses with the rest of the QB on the roster.

10. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Valid points. As much as I don’t think Mayfield is a good fit for the Jets, I think he can start day 1 with a team who drafts him.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

No, because they have the tie breaker for strength of schedule. However, the Bengals and the Bears won today. So we went from 10 to 8.

#51 Martin&theJETS, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    tooooon likes this.
  12. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

IMO best offseason scenario
    Sign Cousins 5 years $135 mi. We have tons of money let’s use it on a leader instead of all the other locker room cancers we’ Brought in the past few seasons

On the same note I love Malcom Butler. He not going back to NE and he is the kind of shut down corner we need. Not sure about his personality and how he’d fit into the locker room but definitely worth a sniff

Round one edge rusher. Chub or Key. I’ll take either one. Chub looks like a better all around player but Key in the best pure pass rusher in this draft..al la John Abraham

2a. If we can get our hands on Billy Price center Ohio St, or Bryce Love. I’d be thrilled
    2b. Obviously depends how the draft breaks but if we were unable to land Love, there should be a lot of very good RBs on the board here Damien Harris, Nick Chubb, or Ronald Jones.

It’s gonna be an interesting off-season

13. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Jets and 9ers SOS could swas if eagles beat the raidersl today.

Kc is locked into 4 seed, so they likely rest starters at denver next week. That could get jets to six. It would take a tampa upset to get to 5.

Rams can' get bye and locked up division. So if the jets don' pass 9ers on sos tonight, 9ers will probably win next week.

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO that would be the worst scenario. I don't think Cousins is a FQB. He's good enough that he'd have us challenging for the playoffs every year, but not good enough to get us over the hump, especially with Bowles remaining at HC, and if the Jets sign Cousin, you know that Bowles will get extended for at least another 3 years. It would just keep the Jets stuck in the same old mediocrity rut, just a little better than they were.

As great as it would be to add a Chubb or Key, the Jets have to draft a FQB if they have any hopes of breaking the vicious cycle we've been in.

15. GWjet

GWjet Well-Known Member

If we were picking 1 or 2 I’d agree with you but chances are the blue chippers are gone by the time we’re on the clock

16. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

We're 7th now, ahead of SanFran thanks to SOS.

http://www.tankathon.com/nfl

What kills me is that we lost to both Denver and TB and they can both finish ahead of us if we end up tied.

17. JetsKickAss

If you add our #1 and both our #2's in the current position we/Seattle are in, we have enough "points" to trade up from #7 to #3 based on the NFL Draft Value Board.

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

Of course, I think if these QB's are the real thing -- I'm not sold on any other than Rosen -- than a bidding war will develop. What makes it unique is that alot of Teams in the Top 10/12 do NOT need a QB or just took one.

Could you get a QB-needy team from the teens or lower to move up 10-15 spots ? Would they be willing to do what Philly did and pay a ton to move up that much ?

18. JetsKickAss

That 2nd Cleveland #1 pick -- from Houston -- may be key, assuming the Browns don't trade the #1 overall pick because the QB's coming out pull a Manning/Elway.

Be Warned: Jets SOS is going to worsen next week with a loss to Pats who will finish 13-3.

19. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

I totally agree. We need to draft a franchise QB and get someone in here that can develop him. Please don't try and fit him into a system that doesn't work. Tailor your system around the QB or pick someone that fits your system. Don't make them play in a system that doesn't play to their strengths. And then, KEEP them in the SAME system for several years.

20. Greensleeves

Greensleeves Well-Known Member

Disagree - Josh Allen could end up being the best of the bunch, Baker Mayfield is worthy of a high pick. If they like Mayfield we can stay put. If they like Allen, I would give up a 2 and next year's 1 to move up. It's the only way we get out of being mediocre. We need our own guy that can be the face of the franchise. Plus, didn't Big Ben go around 8th to Pittsburgh? Possible that Josh Allen is there when we pick. A lot of people think he has the best upside. Also, if Rosen or Darnold won't go to Cleveland, perhaps a trade to #1 overall can be made to leapfrog the Giants. I would then grab Rosen. Give up whatever necessary to get to #1 - we could have 15 years of excellent QB play if we make the move, which covers a ton of deficiencies everywhere else. Add to that the fact that history shows that since most of a team's draft doesn't pan out, it's a no brainer. Would much rather have an offensive head coach to bring the kid along. Bowles has shown he has no desire to develop a young QB - see progress of the kids on the team now.

ColoradoContrails likes this.