NY Jets Salary Cap & More

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DarrelleRevis.Human?, Feb 23, 2017.

1. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    (3/15/2017)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/cap/

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but during this time of the year I thought it would be appropriate. In my own personal search I have found this to be the most comprehensive cap and contract related tool out there and I just wanted to share.

#1 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Red Menace likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It's been posted before. But it's that time of year again so this thread is officially a go.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

They need to continue the cuts, this team is going to be bare bones when Mac is done trimming the fat. He better have a good draft, I mean like every player taken needs to be a starter.

NYJetsO12 and CBG like this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I ended up with $41,591,014 by making the following cuts:

Revis CB
    Mangold OC
    Decker WR
    Skrine CB
    Gilchrist FS
    Henderson ILB
    Devin Smith WR
    Dakota Dozier OG

Guys I kept that could potentially be replaced in free agency / draft

Brandon Marshall $7.5 mil against this year's cap (no dead money if cut)
    David Harris $6.5 mil against this year's cap (no dead money if cut)
    Matt Forte $5.0 mil against this year's cap (signed through 2018 - $6 mil dead money if cut)
    Bilal Powell $4.633 mil against this year's cap (signed through 2018 - $4.266 mil dead money if cut)

These four players are solid contributors but I wouldn't call any of them a huge bargain based on their play over the last two years. Both running backs are tied up so we wouldn't save much by cutting either this year. We could potentially cut one or both next year if we draft or sign a RB.

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. LV Coach

LV Coach Well-Known Member

In your cut list you picked Decker. It all depends on how he will be physically. If he's OK, then I would keep him as a good receiver. In the potential list I would definitely cut Marshall. His locker room antics and drops are the reasons. No way would I let Bilal Powell go. He not only runs hard but is a pass target. Forte ran out of steam at the end of the year and that's because to Ol can't open holes and too many first and ten calls were runs up the middle. No way the opposition defense didn't know that was coming. We should be able to pick up a RB in the third and later rounds. Cheap, young and strong to make it pay off.

6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Decker broke his hip like an old lady. Unless we get an offer in a trade for Marshall I roll the dice with him.

Both RBs could be possible cuts next year but not this year.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Mac has put himself in a very precarious position. This team is not any better off today than they were in 2014 IMO. What's worse is that by every indication, and the way this team is currently comprised, more than likely the Jets will win less games than 5 in 2017? There's certainly no reason to think anything otherwise is there?

This is a make or break year for the entire front office. If this team does not show vast improvement and doesn't make the playoffs, I can't see any way Mac and Toilet are retained?

What Mac does have going for him is his penchant to take the BAP. Sometimes that can be a great thing. However, he's going to have to use FA no doubt. There's just too much missing to even reach a respectable, middle of the road, team in 2017.

IMO, this draft should be all about safe foundation type picks? OL and TE IMO just cannot be neglected any longer. Mac could really make a killing if he opted to trade down and grab one of the top Tight Ends in the draft and thereby accumulated more picks. From what I am reading, this draft is not very deep in talent, but there's a lot of value in the late 1st and 2nd rounds..........

Red Menace and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets could publicly commit to a rebuild.

That would take the pressure off of both Mac and Bowles going into the season. Then you'd measure both of them at the end of the year based on how the talent needle was pointing at that point with Bowles also being held accountable for how clean the locker room was and how many young players saw a lot of action in 2017.

Or we could just pretend that a few free agents will make a big difference and wind up with 4 or 5 wins anyway and blow the whole structure out at the end of the year.

This is not 2006 or 2008. We don't have the picks to fix a lot of the problems in the draft and we're not going to get a lot for vets in trades. This is much more like 2012-2014 and we're going to be severely capped anyway due to lack of talent on the roster.

We should take advantage of the perception that we're a bad team and build for the future. Under-promise and over-deliver. That's what works for bad teams at their nadir.

The alternative is to take a turn in the early 2000's Bengals ineptitude or the Cleveland Browns since they rejoined the NFL. It's not hard to become the Buffalo Bills either if you keep your head in the sand for too many seasons in a row.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yep

Couldn't care less about FAs and 2017 ...let it fall apart and build with new blood

Thought I would like t Taylor here as interim QB but enough with that cycle of temp fixes...build from the trenches imo

Losing is winning

onefanjet and Jets_Grinch like this.
  10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with you with regards to Decker, why would our fans want a guy who is starting to show early signs of Osteoporosis?

Marshall has some drops but he is on the field, can command a double team because he is the big receiver threat that teams covet, and he is durable.

I say keep him, and cut Decker.

LWC611 likes this.
  11. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Why the fuck would we cut Bilal Powell?

Forte should go before him.

Cman68, VegasMav, hwismer and 2 others like this.
  12. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Every veteran player goes if we have a young player to replace him so decker n Marshall go. Or in revis case draft or sign a Cb. Might as well suck with a young player then suck with an older one. Either way it's gonna be an awful season so maybe some kids will give us hope. Any jet fan that expects more is kidding themselves. Let's truly rebuild

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

a few other cuts i could see

1) david harris - saves 6.5 mil, no cap penalty. is still a good player but is old and a liability in coverage. we drafted his replacement in lee who played more snaps last year as well. with lee, jenkins, and mouldin we have a young LBer group that doesn't really need harris
    2) Richardson - not cut, but hopefully traded for a good pick (I think we could get a 2nd rounder or maybe him and our 2nd to get another 1st round pick) saves 8 million, no cap penalty. he's young and good but has character issues and we already signed wilk and have williams playing better much cheaper. we can't keep all 3 DEs so rich is the odd man out. it's the 1 position we have drafted really well
    3) Brandon Marshall - at his age 7.5mil is too much for his lack of production. we save the full 7.5 mil with no penalty. enunwa proved he can be a starter, we still have decker, and alot of young WRs like anderson, marshall, and peake with potential. cutting marshall doesn't even make a hole
    4) Henderson - same situation as harris. and saves 2.6 mil with no cap hit.

with these moves we would be up to 32.5 mil in cap room. not bad at all. enough to sign our rookies, and land a decent CB and LT and a veteran QB like glennon or mckown

Another option is mangold which would save 9 mil with no penalty but with the lack of o-line as it as, and his leadership skills and his loyalty to the team i'd like to see him be a career jet and stay. this is the final year of his deal. we could offer him an extension for 2 more years at a smaller rate and spread the money out for cap relief as well. restructure into a 3 year 21 million dollar deal, give him a 5 mil bonus and 4 mil salary this year (so he makes the same in 2017) give him 5 mil in 2018 and 7 mil in 2019. which he can retire in 2019 and only count 1.6 mil in dead money. this would save us 3.4 mil this season bumping us up to almost 36 million in room. mangold makes the same this year and gets a few more years as well. Even if we cut him after this season he would only count 3.3 or so in dead money for 2018 so it allowed us to just defer some money from this year into next year. it's win-win-win

14. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

How are we so bad and have cap trouble?

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because we won't admit we're so bad. Instead we run out and sign expensive free agents to maybe go 10-6 if we're lucky and 4-12 when we're not.

16. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

This would be great(letting it fall apart and building w/new blood), however that would take a number of things to happen. A total buy in from woody, front office staff and fans. Can't see that happening, so I predict we keep bandaging the team, so woody sells seats, and the whole thing turns over again in a year or two...sigh.....

17. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Lol we don't even have cap problems, we'll create room easily by cutting players that should be cut.

18. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

We do have cap problems. Yes we will cut veterans and free up cap space. We are currently, with Brenno and Folk cut , $4.5 million short of the money needed to sign our draft picks. That doesn't include the new 3 Rd round compensatory pick and only counts the top 51 contracts.
    We then have to sign players to fill the holes created by those cuts along with all the holes we currently have on the roster. We also have to carry over some money for unforeseen signings due to injury and other unexpected events.
    We don't have many contracts we can restructure, nor should we.
    We have a tough road ahead and it's likely to get worse before it gets better.

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Tony where you getting your numbers from?

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I had just read an article on NJ.com.
    Checking their #s, I see we are actually only a little more than half million short as of now. Our picks are projected to cost $8.005 plus an estimate of $500000 for the comp pick roughly $8.5 million per sportrac
    We have 7.9 now in space per sportrac and over the cap.
    Even with the error, we are not going to have much room to operate under the cap.