Now the Jets must convince Cleveland to trade up from 4th to 3rd to obtain a second round pick.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by footballfundamentals, Mar 19, 2018.

1. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

According to the trade value chart, the difference between the 4th and 3rd pick is 500 points. That is equivalent roughly to the 50th pick (a second rounder).

Mike needs to do his best to convince Cleveland that we are going to take Barkley or that we have a trade partner who is willing to leapfrog them. Cleveland has 3 second round picks: numbers 33, 35 and 64. What are the chances of obtaining one or would Cleveland be okay taking Chubb or another player at pick number 4?

matt robinson 17 and boozer32 like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cleveland is not going to believe that Mac traded 3 second round picks to move up to 3rd only to take Barkley.

macbk, JetLifeLo, NJJets20 and 4 others like this.
  3. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

You need to reread. Or another team can leapfrog for Barkley.

matt robinson 17 and boozer32 like this.
  4. The "phantom trade partner" would have to be a landing spot not too far off. Picks 5-7 range for Cleveland to potentially buy it.

They know we need a QB & traded up for one. W. only 2 picks ahead of us why in the world would we vacate the #3 position unless we're moving down only a couple spots where our guy might still be there? In other words Cleveland has to actually believe we'll actually trade the pick to someone else in order for them to feel compelled to move up. The only way i see them believing that is if we convince them we dont really want a QB OR that we think we can get our guy a few picks downward. But again from cleveland's perspective....if that's the case why trade up to 3 to begin with?

5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

This new Browns regime has shown to not be as stupid as the last, but if Macc could pull that off and still get our guy, it would be a genius move.

egelband, Cidusii and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

First we have to disguise Kevin Costner as Macc, then I think this amazing plan will work.

#6 abyzmul, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  7. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The only reason I could see Cleveland doing that is so they could trade the 3rd pick to a team wanting to jump in front of us. This makes no practical sense. We don't trade up to 3 then trade back so a team can take the player we traded up to get.

JetLifeLo and phubbadaman like this.
  8. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

People need to get over this 2nd round picks thing. This franchise has been hot garbage for the great majority of our lives...they are finally understanding the definition of insanity and trying something different before expecting different results.

AlexJETS, JetLifeLo, NJJets20 and 8 others like this.
  9. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

The OP's scenario has 0% chance of happening in this particular universe so we should close the thread

K'OB, JetLifeLo and FJF like this.
  10. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

If Barkley's still there at 3 after QB's get picked 1 and 2, I suppose it's worth calling Cleveland and claiming that he's the BPA on the Jets board with QB 'x' already gone, and seeing if Cleveland miraculously wants to give something up to swap picks...

But I doubt they'll be that stupid.

Royal Tee likes this.
  11. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Keep the pick fuck the browns

Let’s just get our franchise QB and start to build the offence around him

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Stop,please

Red Menace and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Contrails is correct. Cat is out of the bag. There is no bluffing about trade downs or Jets taking Barkley.

egelband likes this.
  15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Or that we will trade down to someone else who wants the 3rd for Barkley.

Basically we would be stopping from 6 to 10 (hypothetically) while giving up three 2 rounders and maybe getting a few back but lower than where we were since we are trading with a team already behind us.

None of this suggestion seems well thought out.

16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Fortunately we exist in a multiverse and there is likely a parallel universe where they have opposite rules of logic and reasoning where this is going to happen.

Red Menace likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Logic and reasoning have nothing to do with this thread.

NJJets20 and FJF like this.
  18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

well why didnt someone tell me that? in that case, carry on

Red Menace likes this.
  19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

A better thought is to have Giants trade from #2 to #4, Cleveland will then own 1st two picks in draft,
    guaranteeing them Barkley and their choice of QBs...this helps Jets at #3...because we would have
    only one of QBs off the board when we pick...

stinkyB, AlexJETS, cgrec and 4 others like this.
  20. I'm assuming the Giants would then be targeting Nelson or one of the remaining QBs??

I know it's been thrown out there that the Giants like Nelson & while trading down lessens some of the blow of taking an interior linemen top 5, I still just dont see the Giants going this route.

As bad as the Giants OL has been & as highly regarded as Nelson is..IDK..Giants tend to stick to their prototype for OL that they have used for quite some time. They like their interior linemen to be between 6'2-6'5 300-315 LBS...w. good balance, center of gravity, heavy hands & stout within their anchor. They don't necessarily value height/length or agility b.c they don't usually ask their linemen to do a lot of pulling or angle blocks out in space. Nelson has heavy hands & can definitely maul in the phone booth..that said he doesn't have the best center of gravity & can be thrown off balance in his anchor. He has very good pulling ability but I don't think that means much to the Giants unless Shurmer is planning on changing the blocking scheme..which i doubt. So while I think the Giants may like him...he's not the type of linemen they would take top 5 b.c the aspects of his game that the Giants look for aren't top 5 quality & the things that maybe top 5 worthy aren't things the Giants typically value..thats just my opinion.

I think Nelson is being extremely over-valued. He doesn't have elite feet in pass protection, he doesn't always finish blocks, he can be off balance in his anchor & he played next to a fellow 1st round prospect...I like the Utep kid just as much if not more.