Not sold on over hyped and over paid Cousins, draft the FQB

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetsFan, Mar 10, 2018.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I’m not all in for Cousins and feel one player getting $30M a year is BS and hurts the team. That would make him the highest paid QB by $3M a year and almost double what Brady gets. I am all for drafting a young QB. We have spent 9 straight 1st round picks on Defense and its time we use it on offense. A Defensive HC should be able to elevate the Defense to play better than it is, but not our HC.

This is how I would like to see it work out.

1. Resign McCown ($8M one year deal guaranteed with $2-$4M of possible incentives.)

2. 1st round (#6) Stay at #6 and Draft Mayfield/Barkley/Allan

3. 2nd round (#37) C Billy Price or James Daniels

4. 2nd round (#49) TE Andrews, Goedert, Hurst, or Gesicki

5. 3rd round (#72) If we did NOT draft a QB yet draft Rudolph QB, if we did GO BPA for O-Line

6. 4th round (#107) BPA at CB or RB

7. 5th round (#157) Opposite of 4th round CB or RB

8. 6th round (#179) BPA at OLB or DL

9. 7th round (#235) QB Lauletta or Shimonek if available (#3QB for 2018/#2QB for 2019) or BPA at ILB or WR

10. FA Areas - This draft there are some position that are stacked with raw FA caliber talent and DT/S/CB are them. (DT: Gilmore/Looney/Mondeaux/McKenzie/Hill/Lealao/Herron) (S: Smith/Chandler/Hawkins/Matthews/Miles/Reaves/Parker/Orr) (CB: Campbell/Delaney/Fant/Johnson/Springs/Harding/King)

11. Note: I chose BPA groups at certain picks based on the high number of quality players at those positions that should still be available in that round.

#1 JetsFan, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Rockinz, Catfish Billy and abc like this.
  2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

That could be a mindset that they go with (by passing Cousins, sign a cheaper vet QB and draft a QB with their first pick and another offense with another pick in their top 3) but I highly doubt the Jets draft all 3 offensive players with the first 3 picks. It all depends on who they get for FAs.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Cousins is "safer" than any draft pick, in the sense that he won't be a colossal bust. The problem is, short of a colossal bust, Cousins won't give the Jets more value in terms of production per cap dollar, nor the ceiling and potential a young franchise QB offers.

If the Jets land Cousins, it brings up the floor on the team's record, but it simultaneously puts the onus on Mac to perform better in the draft. If the Jets continue having mediocre to average drafts, they'll become a perpetual 8-8ish team.

Landing the rookie QB gives the team more flexibility to find answers in FA. They still have to draft well, but again, they'll have more flexibility in terms of tactical roster maneuvering.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

There is no guarantee at all that one of the top 4 QBs will be there at 6. Either trade up(bad choice) or throw the dice..lots of people want QBs and a few like Buffalo have plenty of ammo to trade up ahead of the Jets..those 5 wins were really great, weren't they? Cleveland, Giants and Denver all want a QB and Indy might too. Then you have Buffalo who wants one and has 2 1s and 32 to get above us.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I disagree that trading up is a bad choice IF it means getting our QB. We are all aware of how hard it is to get the right QB, and simultaneously aware of how often our draft picks don't work out.

With the exception of Marcus Maye last year, when was the last time a second round pick worked out for the Jets?

When trading, giving up our first is not an issue as we're getting a higher first. If we give up both of our 2nds this year, as well as our 2nd next year, again, how often do those picks work out?

We'd probably need to also send a 3rd rounder, maybe even more. For a legitimate franchise QB who will be with the team 10+ years that cost is almost nothing.

The risk is trading up and getting the wrong QB, or getting the right one and failing to put them in a position to succeed. The latter is under the control of the front office. Mark Sanchez was somewhere in this category. He didn't become a true burden to the Jets until Tannenbaum gave him that ridiculous contract after allowing the offensive talent to deteriorate around him. The Jets took a gamble that Santonio Holmes was all Sanchez needed to move forward. Oops. Now Tannenbaum is ruining things for the Fish instead.

Getting the wrong QB would be the same result. Bye Maccagnan. That said, the risk of either of those scenarios is worth it. QB is the one position where you can reliably elevate the entire team when getting the right guy. Having the right guy on a rookie contract allows the entire team to become competitive overnight basically.

So, if the Jets are confident they've identified that special QB, you give whatever it takes and get that guy. If they are right, there will be no regret.

Edit: I failed to mention opportunity. Opportunity exists because 1) QBs worth trading up for are in this draft and 2) the Jets are in striking distance, so a trade is not unrealistic. The Bills do have more ammo, but being that the Jets are closer, the difference is not significant. If the Jets are motivated, they can make it happen.

6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

If only we had a Gigantic catch all cousins thread somewhere on the board, man that would be fantastic.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Here’s the thing we need to spend some cash this offseason... going into the offseason looking for Quality players on multi year deals vs Quantity of vet 1 year deals in bulk to get to at least the minimum.

I agree if they loose out on Kirk it’s definitely not a loss for the franchise because we are in a position to draft a FQB. However, we need to still spend cash on UFAs like Trumaine Johnson, Richburg or Allen Robinson.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've always enjoyed your very deceptive and facetious angles, and I definitely get your drift, homeboy. You like to be satirical, but you and I have been members here for a while and I really know your style.

What you are really saying is...

We need to trade up to #1 to draft Lamar Jackson.

He's the future. Lightning fast runner with a cannon arm and serious measurables

A GAME CHANGER!

Good call my man!

(edit: i almost didn't realize that when you posted "cousin" you meant "bro", that was such a good touch, I don't think I would've made that connection but you're such a freaking wordsmith, just a master)

#9 abyzmul, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    GQMartin likes this.
  10. StrongSide

StrongSide New Member

Sounds like Minnesota and Cousins are in deep talks. Looking at 27 million per year.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I've said all along that Minny makes the most sense for Cousins. Their roster is ready to win now while the ours isn't.

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I know you are trying to be funny and call people racist, yet we all know the first one to yell racist is the most racist of all.

Lamar Jackson will be a never was in the NFL.

Don't be mad that the best QBs are white, blacks have all the other positions except kicks/punters and LS. Unlike you, most fans care more about trophies or championships and don't care what color the players are. If I was really so racist I would watch hockey or curling instead of NFL.

#12 JetsFan, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    abyzmul likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this^ I don't understand not being sold on the guy who has done it 3 years straight at the NFL level, but being sold on players who did OK in college in a non-pro style offense against weak defenses and watching them throw in shorts a little.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Haters gonna hate, right?