Not going for two point conversion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 16, 2016.

1. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

that is all well and good. here is my issue with it though.

Why are you waiting until the TD play to make the decision on whether to go for 2 or not? once you get in or near the redzone, that decision should be made. ok, were in the redzone, if we score a TD here what do we do?

Decision should have been made several plays before forte even scored.

"you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail" is basically the lesson their.

not only on bowles. assistants need to be all over that as well.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Why don't you go and learn the difference between "there" and "their" instead of telling me what makes sense.
    Your nitpicking hatred for Bowles is disgusting and imbecile.
    He acknowledged error, in a situation he never faced as a HC. Get over it.

Red Menace likes this.
  3. jerseyjay14

It is a football message board, not a grammar exam. your deflection of the point really doesnt change things.

Bowles shouldnt be excused for this because "its the first time it came up". he is a pro football coach with 30 years in the game. he should be preparing for these situations all week. not waiting to see if it happens and then just wing it. if he doesnt have the bandwidth to focus on it, his staff is big enough he can delegate someone to be there to bring the proper call to his attention, there are team that do this.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Of course TB shoulda gone for 2 and next time he will.

On the flip side, the game looked over and Bills looked beaten on that 12 yard run up the middle. Lot of heads hanging. If we went for 2 and they stuffed it, that would have given the Bills, that fans, everyone over there a huge emotional boost, a spark.

They almost beat us without a spark, glad we didn't give them one!

5. jerseyjay14

unless that spark would have led to better execution on the onsite kick, its meaningless. they went right down the field for a TD without using a timeout. that was the best case scenario for them. it was going t come down to the onside kick... at least if we went for 2, would could have prevent a win if they did recover it and score a td

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  6. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Right. Bowles shouldn't be excused for one mistake, but you all for bringing Rex who baths in his own shit time and time again. Yeah, that makes sense.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

He fucked that up, but he also owned it. So let's see what happens before we call for a Dick Curl...... Lmao

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  8. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

Bathes?

9. NYGANGGREEN

I thght thats why we have asst coaches and shit. Why didnt anyone step up to say something. Cant blame it all on him and its not like he does it every game damn. So many other things to cry about.

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Sure, if you say so.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Totally feels to me like he did leave the responsibility of the conversion to Gailey and/or an assistant and now he's just covering for them. He doesn't seem Rex-level incompetent to me and I doubt he would just dive into defense without delegating something like that.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

14. NYGANGGREEN

Lmao im glad you said it!

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

With a 12 point lead you don't have to attempt a two point conversion in order to make it a 14 point lead.

Below I'll explain why kicking an XP for a 13 point lead isn't a bad call.

First and foremost what if you miss the two point conversion attempt? Then it's only a 12 point lead.

What if you allow a TD? It's now a 5 point lead.

What if you catch a bad break and give up yet another TD? The opposing team will go for two points in order to go from up 1 point to up 3 & a FG. If the opposing team converts you're down 3 and a FG no longer wins the game and can only tie.

However if you're up 13 points and the other team scores two TD's... unless they convert both two point attempts a last second FG will win you the game.

I'd rather be up 13 than 12 late in a game. There's no guarantee you convert and go from up 12 to up 14. God forbid you give up a 7 point TD followed by another TD + a 2 point conversion (after failing two point conversion) and now you're down 3 points and need a TD to win the game.

At least being up 13 points, you can allow two TD's but yet a FG during your final drive will still win the game.

Just my thoughts.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The touchdown happened with 4 minutes left. There wasn't enough time for those scenarios to happen. The only scenario that mattered was Buffalo scoring a TD, recovering an onside kick, and scoring another TD. Which is why even Bowles said we should have gone for 2.

17. DefenseWinsChampionships

If there's enough time for Buffalo to score two TD's within under 4 minutes then who's to say Jets wouldn't get a final drive with about 30-45 seconds for a chance at getting into field goal range?

Cman68 likes this.
  18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I've seen the background part before and thought the same but the Travolta wandering around could not be ignored...even if it should have been.

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

This is what's known as an argument to the extreme. You're certainly entitled to shape your world view through the lens of logical fallacies, but it's not reasonable to do so.

Skicats and ChrebetCrunch like this.
  20. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

Why isn't there a coach who's only job is to calculate odds and what do in certain situations? They already have a sheet with scores and time remaining that helps the coach determine whether or not to go for two. I think someone said this already, but "hey coach, if we score a TD, we should go for two."

NYJetsO12 likes this.