Not going for two point conversion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 16, 2016.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I was just trying to figure out what on earth he could have possibly been thinking about by kicking the Field Goal. Relax. I didn't say it was a good idea. Read my posts. He messed up. It happens I guess.

2. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

That's great to read

3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

He wasn't thinking, that's why he didn't go for it.

4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I know.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Going for 2 is really a decision based on situation and time on the clock. There was about 4 minutes left when Forte scored to make it 36-24, right? The question is do the Bills have enough time (If the Jets miss the 2 point conversion) to score a touchdown, kick a field goal and then kick the game-winning field goal to win 37-36? The answer in this situation was ABSOLUTELY NOT. So the Jets 100% should have went for 2 to try to make it a 2 touchdown lead. I was shocked when Bowles did not do so. It worked out and the Jets won, but hopefully he learns from this for future situations.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

TD-FG-FG isn't even the concern. With a 13pt lead TD-TD beats you, and there was time for that. As we all know, at that point a 12 and 13 point lead are the same but 12 or 14 point leads are completely different.

7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Correct. I was just giving the possible thought process for kicking the extra point. However, Bowles came out today and said he made a mistake and that he was distracted on the sideline after the TD. So hopefully he focuses on a decision like that in the future.

8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Bowles owned up to being involved with something else at that moment, and when he turned around it was too late. Pretty alarming but it happened, we didn't get bit by it and he knows he has to improve in that facet of the game.

9. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Our rule used to be:

"If one point really doesn't help you, then go for two."

Then again, we weren't rocket scientists.

10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Not sure what else the man can do..

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

He will not make that mistake again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He made a mistake, and he owned it. And we didn't get hurt by it.Time to move on. There isn't a HC alive that doesn't make mistakes.
    I don't like going for two too early and like that Bowles thinks that way, but it was obviously time to do it.

Bowles might let an assistant have more of a role with on field situations. The sphere of what is happening throughout the game team wide is enormous, and even the most seasoned HC's will have a hard time covering everything.

#72 Walt White, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Cman68 likes this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I agree with the bolded, I hate when coaches chase points, just keep on building the points and chase them only when you have to, which is usually late in the game.

14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Agreed with this too.

15. UK_Chilts

UK_Chilts Well-Known Member

Nantz and Simms weren't over this at all. They did not mention the two point issue until the Bills were well into their next drive which was possibly five minutes later in elapsed time. No doubt someone else on the broadcast team noted it and nudged them.

For what it's worth I would be unlikely to consider going for two until the 4th quarter. Before that there are too many variables and it's safer to take the PAT. That said this was definitely an example which called for attempting a two point conversion and it should be evident to a professional coaching staff as the drive moves into scoring position (if not earlier). I guess other members of the coaching staff would also have to be on auto-pilot as we're taking the offence off the field and putting the kicking team on and no-one questions the call or seeks confirmation of it. I find it refreshing that Coach Bowles has 'fessed up and I'm sure he's smart enough to learn a lesson that, in the end, could have cost us but didn't.

16. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

the thing is, even if you 100% assume folks make on the extra point, it doesnt help you, since 2 bills touchdowns still beat you.

being up 12 vs 13 has no difference their, as the bills werent going to get 3 possessions where they can score a TD and kick 2 field goals

17. jerseyjay14

to me, this is the only feasible thought process that doesnt have you go for 2. you fear they will force the turnover and return in 98 yards for a 2 point score of their own.

if thats the logic, its pretty thin to me. run a dive over the gaurd in the middle of the field. even if you fumble, that ones not going the other way.

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  18. jerseyjay14

what? that makes no sense. it basically says you are ok with bowles not being prepared for late game situations going into a game. and you would have been ok with us losing by 1 had the bills recovered the onside kick and scored.

bowles isnt like a pop warner coach in year 1. its just his second year as head coach but the guy has been in football for over 30 years. and that is a VERY easy call. its not even like we score on some suprise touchdown like a pick 6 or a long bomb.

the second we got in the redzone bowles needs to be telling guys "hey if we get in here we go for 2"

19. jerseyjay14

my best guess isnt that he didnt not the situation, but that he just wasnt paying attention. was more focused on what to do defensively on the next drive. not that that is better, in fact id say its probably worse. but i think that is the most likely scenario. we score, he is thinking what do we do defensively.

although then again defensively we kind of did what we usually do and play mostly prevent. and if that was the case, you need to delegate that decision to someone who is focused on the play

20. jerseyjay14

look in the game thread. that wasnt the reaction... the reaction was

Forte! Beast! now go for 2!