Not going for two point conversion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

My guess is Bowles wasn't thinking and thought the same thing we all did which was woohoo we just won the game with that last touchdown. He fell asleep. It's frustrating but it's not the end of the world.

All of you trying to come up with a conspiracy theory on why he kicked the field goal, it seems silly. If he did think about it, it was probably at the last second and he said fuck it just kick it.

JetBlue likes this.
  2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Its a mistake but a bad one that's hard to believe

Myself and two other people who were watching the game all immediately said go for two it was like second nature to us....its crazy how no one important (Fitz, Bowles, Gailey, other coaches players standing next to Bowles, One of the vets on offense) didn't realize it on instinct alone

Just weird to me

3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Maybe he needs to play Madden with Petty in the off season.

JetBlue, FJF and King Koopa like this.
  4. Trip McNealy

Trip McNealy Member

These are the types of little things that help win the Patriots the division every year.

JetBlue likes this.
  5. NotSatoshiNakamoto

True, but it's also only the 18th regular season game he's coached. As long as he learns from it we're going to be OK. Microscope is now on.

6. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Belichick is on top of everything but also fucks up by being arrogant and thinking he's much smarter than everyone else every now and then

The big thing that helps them win the division every year is Tom Brady

7. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Bowles basically pulled a Terry Collins and admitted it was a mistake and he was 'distracted' on the sideline

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Moving on now...

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

don't let it happen again

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Distracted? WTF? Well, at least he knows that going for 2 was the right call, and admitted he made the mistake.

11. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I'm still not following the logic. If the question is why would he go for the PAT instead of for 2, and the answer is he went for the PAT because with the increased distance it makes the PAT a greater risk to miss, then that doesn't make sense. Why would he opt for the PAT because the chance to miss the PAT was increased? It would be the opposite. You would go for two if you were concerned about the increased likelihood of a PAT miss.

12. richieC

richieC Active Member

Good call. I think the pace of the game was too fast. They were somewhat surprised they scored the touchdown and auto-kicked the extra point. Cruise control......Jets offense was clicking and Bowles was hands off. Why tamper with something that is working.

That said, PLEASE PLEASE get this right the next time and go for 2.

13. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I'd rather Bowles admit he fucked up than make some of the excuses fans have tried to make. Because if he said he was concerned about a missed conversion being returned for two then we'd know for certain he had a lobotomy and it stuck.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It was an inexcusable decision that was heavily criticized in the game thread. Hopefully, it doesn't happen again.

15. crutchfield

crutchfield Member

I used to be a head coach of a high school football team. I never carried one of those 1 point/2 point charts that tells when to do which (obviously a mistake once you hear my story). One night my team scored to go up by 8 fairly late in the game, and I immediately had a thought that if we went for 2 we could go up by 10, which is a touchdown and a field goal to tie. So I started to call to go for two, and I immediately had both coaches on the headsets screaming at me to go for one because being up by 9 is a two score lead, when 8 is not. As soon as they said it, I couldn't believe I didn't think of it first. Needless to say, we kicked the extra point and won. So I can understand thinking the wrong thing in the heat of the moment. It is surprising that there weren't multiple assistants letting the coach know that the 2 point play was the right call in that scenario.

FJF, abyzmul, BrowningNagle and 2 others like this.
  16. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Us armchair HCs don't need to think about other 50 things Bowles has to. The question of 2 pts was not on his "to think about" list at the moment. It's OK for the 1st time HC who never was in this position before and so I'm willing to give him a pass.

However, by now someone already pointed out that it should be on his mental list. If he repeats same mistake again, I'll question his smarts and learning ability.

I don't expect he'd make same mistake again any time soon though. Bowles strikes me as a guy who would not fuck up twice.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well whaddaya know... Bowles with a mea culpa on this..

Well, Bowles owned his mistake. I'm sure that won't be enough for the Rexaholic Bowles haters though. Nothing will.

18. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the logic is great lol. I'm actually more relieved that he just admitted to botching the play as opposed to thinking that was a good idea.

I'm saying his thought process could have been that Folk will make the kick and Carpenter stands a greater chance of missing it then Folk does. He's putting the pressure on Carpenter if the the Bills do tie the game. Now Carpenter's kick is for the win. He could choke. I'm not saying it's great logic, it's just the only thing he could have been thinking. But clearly he wasn't thinking because he already admitted he blew the call. He was distracted. Terrible job by Bowles. I was trying to figure out what his logic could possibly be for making such a dumb decision, hoping that it wasn't just because he screwed up. Sadly he did. That stuff can't happen.

19. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

How about putting pressure on Carpenter for a tie? Would that be enough pressure, or it must be for a win?

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

They had plenty of time to think about it too. Its not like they had a quick score and in the heat of that moment they couldn't process. It was a 5 play drive that lasted around 4 minutes of game play. They would've had plenty of time to imagine the scenario where they score a touchdown.

I too am really surprised others weren't there to point it out. I agree with you that in the heat of the moment anyone could miss something like that but all that time and all those brains on that team? Where's our Harvard graduate QB at? Our experienced former head coach that is calling the plays at? seems like a pretty big mistake to let happen. thank god Rex blew timeouts for fun and it didn't cost us