Not going for two point conversion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ChrebetCrunch, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I agree. It was a mistake by Bowles. The Jets have the talent on offense to make 2pt conversions, they should have gone for it on that last TD, and overall I want to see them go for it more often.

richieC likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That makes zero sense. If the argument is that the farther PAT increases the risk of a miss than to reduce that risk isn't to kick the PAT but go for two.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Stupid mistake. But where was Fitz? Isn't he supposed to be a math guy?

4. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Having the requisite talent to go for two points on a regular basis is a worthy topic of conversation. But for the purposes of this thread, it's irrelevant.

Late in the game, there is no real difference between a 12-point lead and a 13-point lead. There is a BIG difference, however, between a 13-point lead and a 14-point lead.

That's the point. And I'm beating this dead horse because apparently the reason we go for two points is lost on some people... including our coaches!

5. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I'm not saying it's a good call.

The PAT is still a high percentage play though, even further back. But it's now a kick that can be missed from time to time. It's the only thing that makes sense unless you think Bowles didn't know the situation. Which is possible obviously.

6. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Not a good defense of Bowles considering that Folk could also miss the extra point.

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Yeah but he's saying that Folk should be just as likely to also miss the extra point if that's the argument

It's not like the 13 point lead was guaranteed

Like I said before....I can't think of one good argument...it was botched plain and simple

8. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

There is no good argument. I'm just trying to guess what he might have been thinking instead of the scenario in which he just didn't know the situation. Cause that's bad. I know Folk could have missed the kick as well. But he was kicking well that night. More confidence in his kicker? Idk. Just speculating on his thought process.

Folk could have missed the kick that's true. But if the Jets don't convert the 2 point try then they automatically lose on another Buffalo TD if they recover the onside kick at the end.

9. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

YEa but, how many arm chair quarterbacks immediately recognized after the score, and said "better go for two". It's inexcusable, could cost us a game. Nantz and simms picked up on it 10 min later.

10. King Koopa

If you're trying to go up 13 in that situation you are basically banking on a missed XP by Buffalo there so you don't lose in any realistic scenario ....But to get up 13 you actually have to hit the XP yourself so it makes zero sense unless you think Folk is much more likely to make it than Carpenter (which doesn't seem right considering Carpenter is money and Folk missed one last week)

I actually think they just were so excited they scored there that it caught them off guard and everyone just assumed game over.....which is concerning that no one on the sideline thought situation there

There is really no other logical explanation.....

richieC likes this.
  11. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Of course he could. Which is why you go for 2 in that spot. But he didn't.

I'm not defending Bowles. I'm speculating on what he was thinking. Probably just botched the decision. Hope not, cause that's pretty bad.

12. Chadchrebet

Chadchrebet Well-Known Member

Unless someone has a stat out there on 32 yard field goal percentage to win the game, and its in the low 60s. Ive seen last year 94% PAT conversion rate. For the record I think its moronic, and he should have went for it. Could have cost us the game.

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Bowles and co got caught up watching a football game. Plain and simple. Because if they hadn't there would have been a conversation about going for 2 when the possession started. The team was running on cruise control. Bowles got lucky but it definitely raises eyebrows

14. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

you just dont get it....its not an overreaction, it's a 100% justified reaction. Yes we won...but that is NOT the point.

15. King Koopa

I agree....its not just bowles though. No assistant coaches, players, anything??

16. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Yes, I know that's the only realistic scenario. Which is why its a bad call, even after Folk makes the kick. You always go for 2 in that spot. I'm not arguing that it was bad call. It was terrible. I just don't know what else he was thinking cause it's pretty bad that nobody on the sideline even besides Bowles realized the situation. Which is probably the case.

I like Bowles as a coach but that's brutal even if Buffalo is dead in the water at that point.

King Koopa likes this.
  17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yea - he needs to be thinking 3 steps ahead instead of one behind. Think of potential scenarios and how you'd approach each one. I won't kill him on it because this is the first time it's happened but the overarching lack of foresight is worrisome.

Hopefully he can begin to develop that.

18. FJF

Yup. Thats how these things work sometimes. Chan was in a zone calling plays, fitz was out there dealing and caught up in the emotion, bowles was watching a hell of a game along with everyone else.
    I'm sure there were people on the sidelines who thought to go for 2 but no one who had Bowles' ear.

19. FJF

It should have been known as soon as the drive started. Bowles should have been on the mic letting chan and fitz know " we score here we go for 2"

NotSatoshiNakamoto likes this.
  20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yup. Chan should have plays ready too.

FJF likes this.