North Charleston shooting

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by joe, Apr 8, 2015.

1. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

2. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Really natesilvered that one.

3. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

4. PickSix

5. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

So what happens after a mistrial?

6. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I believe the DA has the option of retrying the case. I'm hoping that happens and they vet the jurors a bit more thoroughly this time around.

joe and Cidusii like this.
  7. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

I find it pathetic that any juror could watch that video and think it was anything but murder.

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Nyjunc must have been on it

Red Menace likes this.
  9. PickSix

Well, if that video was the only evidence introduced into the trial, I'd agree with you. But the prosecution has to present the whole course of events, not just some viral seconds long video.

But more happened than what took place in that video. If convicted only on that, the defendant would have a whole avenue of appeals. Now that would be pathetic. There have already been questions into some of the judges statements made during the trial that could have possibly opened it up to appeal.

In the end, the guy is either going to prison for murder, or going to prison for manslaughter. There is nothing pathetic about that. Not guilty is not a option.

After convincing 11 of 12 jurors of murder, I'll put my money on the prosecution cleaning up their case and getting the murder charge.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The problem seemed to be that the holdout juror indicated in a note to the judge that he could not find a police officer guilty beyond a reasonable doubt simply because he was a police officer. Faulty jury selection. This will be retried quickly unless plea bargained before a new trial can take place.

11. PickSix

I've neither seen nor read anything that states that reasoning. But yeah, if true, faulty jury selection, or the person felt one way in the beginning and change their mind before deliberations.

On a separate note, I'm really impressed with the manner in which the victim's family and lawyers have handled this from Day 1. I don't think I could have in a similar situation.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The fmr. officer will be in jail for a long time no matter what. If podunk South Carolina screws this up, he still faces federal charges

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Starting with how'd the D.A. accept a jury makeup of 92% white in a city (No. Charleston) that's only 37% white (not that seeing a slow, 50-year-old getting repeatedly plugged in the back shouldn't speak for itself).

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/can-police-use-lethal-force-fleeing-suspect/

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/w...-slager-ex-officer-sentenced-20-years-n825006

He got 20 years, he better pack his K-Y

Somewhat related,
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...ly-to-convicted-shooters-sentencing/23299178/
    Florida cop brings K-Y jelly to convicted shooter's sentencing

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well well.. I never thought I'd live long enough to see this. I guess if it wasn't for that passerby with his phone cam, this would have been the typical acquittal. So, it really is illegal to shoot an unarmed black man in the back while he's running away. One less thing for BLM to protest. Now if they'd only show up when there's B/B killings, they might be a bit more legit. Then again if they did that, they'd be so damned busy they wouldn't have time to protest... :(

The Waterboy likes this.
  16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Was he convicted by a jury? I’m told their not so reliable.