North Charleston shooting

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by joe, Apr 8, 2015.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If nothing else, the dashcam has the guy's licence plate. When a guy bolts and leaves his car on the spot he's obviously panicking and in a desparate state of mind - he's not thinking clearly. Call for back up (citing the location Smith's running in) and go from there--eventually he's going to be caught and taken into custody without the needless (and criminally reckless) use of deadly force. For the 1,000th time, the guy was running away from the cop. This isn't some '30's flick where you hear "stop or I'll shoot!" and you sure as hell don't shoot someone in the back - that's not cricket no matter how you slice it. Hell, cops sometimes call off car chases if they feel it's going to potentially put lives in danger. The cop had all they needed to nab the guy: his licence plate and even his car.

Bottom line: if the cop doesn't pull the trigger, Smith's alive and in jail.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

of course that is true and if he doesn't run the same thing. 2 separate discussions, the officer was wrong and so was the suspect but ultimately the murder was the fault of the officer.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

So he ran......so?

If e.g., he's running away with a knife in his hand while pulling a little girl by the hair, fire away - but he wasn't.

And even though he was running away, the law was gonna catch up to him in short order anyway.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

...one other thing.

Even giving the cop the benefit of the doubt (doubtful as that is), why not at least go for the guy's feet, that is, akin to shooting out the tires of a car trying to get away....if just to disable the guy (as wrong as that would be anyway).

nyjunc likes this.
  5. nyjunc

I agree but I believe they are trained to shoot the torso area.

6. nyjunc

again, not condoning the shooting in any way just stating that had he not run he'd likely be alive. I think this gets lost in the horrific other part of the story and it got lost in other high profile cases.

7. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

They have that added authority only when they are exercising it, e.g. when they are arrestng or detaining me. If they do neither, they are not exercising the added authority, which makes them JAGs.

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You really ought to stop with this.

9. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Thank you for your input.

10. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

That still doesn't equate to the complete dumbfuck argument you tried to make that if you haven't been arrested you can completely dismiss a cop and do as you please.

You just look like a greater fool when you try to backtrack and defend any element of that argument. Cops are not just JAGs; they have authority that JAGs don't have even when they are not exercising it.

11. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out if Jerry Rice's stickum was legal or not.

_

12. JetBlue

And if Martin Richard's parents don't bring him to watch the boston marathon he'd still be alive. What's the value of that point in regards to the subsequent criminal acts that killed them both?

13. nyjunc

were they running from the law? what this guy was doing was illegal so they aren't comparable.

again, it's a separate issue than the shooter but he'd be alive today if he didn't run from police.

14. JStokes

No need to allow the discussion to get sidetracked.

This started out as a discussion about whether we were right to rush to judgement about a cop committing a blatant unauthorized and unwarranted use of deadly force.

Not about what an unarmed man fleeing a policeman could have done to avoid being gunned down in cold blood.

Again, it is irrelevant what occurred up until he turned and fled. Whether he should have stayed in bed that day, whether he should have stayed in the car, whether he should not have run, whether he should have taken the prone position in front if the cop with his hands behind is head is IRRELEVANT.

Start your assessment as to whether the cop did something right or wrong at the very moment he turned and ran.

The rest is just a red herring to a discussion of the cop's actions being wrongful or appropriate.

_

#274 JStokes, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  15. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Just trying to be helpful.

16. JetBlue

They are comparable from the broader, and thus more logical, position that what both were doing couldn't have been reasonably predicted to lead either one to be the victim of criminal behavior so they bear no reasonable responsibility for the subsequent criminal acts that befell them just because their participation made both possible.

In fact, I'd say it is more reasonable to believe being at a huge public event with minimal security could lead to being the victim of terrorism than believing that a cop will disregard his own future and murder you.

17. mute

mute Well-Known Member

They gonna love him in jail.

18. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Don't twist my words. First, I didn't say "do as I please", I said "not obligated to continue conversation". Second, you rightly pointed out that I omitted detention and from that point on I was including detention. So don't pretend I still insist on arrest only.

You can try to insult me all day long, but you still failed to prove me wrong. If my argument is so obviously stupid, find and cite a law - NJ, NC, or whatever state you live in -- that prohibits a person from walking away from a cop when that person is not under arrest or detention.
    You seem to be superbly knowledgeable in this matter, so it shouldn't be a big deal for you to find and cite a law that contradicts me.

19. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

That officer is going to fry.
    At 18 seconds an object goes flying back behind the officer. (the stun gun?)
    At 19 seconds the officer already has his gun drawn and starts shooting.
    No attempt to chase, no call for backup, which from seeing further video, was already on the way.

mute likes this.
  20. JStokes

If he had just stayed in his car he never would have been gunned down in cold blood.

His fault he got shot in the back.

_