No playoff mandate for 2018 - Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 2, 2018.

1. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I don't want Cousins but let's be realistic why would he choose to come here rather than sign in a place like Denver, Jacksonville, or Buffalo? To play for the offensive genius Todd Bowles?

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

if you want a good qb in his prime you are going to pay. even if it is a drafted qb, when he hit his prime you will be paying top dollar, even if he isn't worth top dollar. its the nfl economy. we can over pay cousins now or we can hope to have a qb to over pay later. with cousins i have faith that mac will have an out after year 3. its actually his most redeeming quality with obtaining talent.
    and its not like this fan base won't want to run out a draft pick in 2 years, if they wait that long.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but I would have no expectations of making the playoffs if the Jets draft and start a Rookie QB all season.
    If they go spend a fortune on a veteran QB, then I'd have major playoff expectations.

Mandating a playoff run would just guarantee that a rookie QB wouldn't play.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

5. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Thats not true. Teams are getting away from that after the fitzpatrick, glennon, cutler fiascos that have happened recently. Its been shown that making moves like that sets your team back and i def dont think Mac would do that again after fitzpatrick. McCowns entire contract was tied to how many games he started.

They can sign him for the right price, im all for it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

6. This is all correct,no doubt.

But there is another side of the coin to this. The way the NY media will run w a playoff mandate puts the team in a difficult position when the team inevatably performs like most teams 2.5 years into a rebuild almost always perform(I add a .5 year to account for the excessive cap space & decent amount of draft picks). Suddenly the team is making promises they can’t keep & forces their hand in firing both Mac/Bowles. It also would immediately change Mac/Bowles commitment level to a clean rebuild bc they’d see the writing on the wall & cut corners this offseason to try & win now.

I think the ideal scenario would be internally demanding the playoffs from the whole organization to set a clear standard & at least tell the public that the goal is of the highest standard w. Unwavering commitment ownership on down.Think Chris Johnson will be doing that anytime soon?

In our Green tinted fur coat laiden dreams

FJF likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

Ouch, comparing Cousins to those guys?

FJF likes this.
  8. zace

zace Well-Known Member

I dont mean to come off as a jerk, but way too many times ive seen him look so inept only to pad stats late in a game and make it look like he played better than he did. Not to say he doesn't have great games, he does, but it also doesn't overshadow his stinkers. He's just very inconsistent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Maybe there isnt a playoff mandate because he thinks he would be happy with something like 8-8 with a lot of improvement from our young players?

Its kind of hard to put someone in that spot because if they dont make the playoffs and Johnson has the playoff mandate then he would have to fire them or look like a hypocrite.

Honestly, I'd rather an 8-8 year with Williams, Adams, Maye, Jenkins, Lee, Enunwa, Anderson and a rookie QB all carrying this team then getting some overpaid guys either in or past their prime that will give us 1-2 playoff appearances and then we fall back to earth once they leave or break down.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Then why couldn't he say "hopeful for a winning season" ..which is the TRUTH as far as the Coach and GM go....his projection for this team was NOT positive at all

Watch what happens with our co renter The Giants...their GM Gittleman clearly stated that "it's the team and bottom line is WINNING"...different philosophies which ensures the right attitude in all the players and CS...they will get ahead quickly imo while we snail along

11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this. His statement should given us some reason to be excited for the future of this team, instead of just a bland "c'est la vie". And yes, that probably reflects a "not-aggessive-enough" approach to building a team.

I'm just saying that issuing a "Playoffs or Bust" mandate would have been even worse.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

ZERO

NYJetsO12 and 6-10 once again like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am assuming the J brothers can handle activities of daily living e.g. Taking a shower, putting on clothes, going to the bathroom, brushing their teeth...but TBH THATS WHERE IT ENDS

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe Chris Johnson should become more of an Owner than a fan of the Jets. Right now, he sounds more like just another fan.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  15. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

& the owner of the NYJs is not awful? U have to learn to see the big pix B4 posting :mad:

16. MurrellMartin

MurrellMartin Well-Known Member

You're not wrong.

I think Cousins winds up in Denver or Buffalo. I just have a feeling Buffalo would do something like that and then just draft 7 WR's, because really, that's all they're missing. A QB and WR's. Their defense is stout. McCoy is still in his prime. Clay is a decent TE. The OL is serviceable.

If they add him, Buffalo could challenge New England next year.... and I can't believe I'm typing these words.

MJK likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

$$$$$$$$$$$$

18. 101GangGreen101

CHRIS JOHNSON IS NOW 0-0 IN BRINGING A NYJ CHAMPIONSHIP TO THE NYJs

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

FJF and Cman68 like this.
  19. championjets69

Well finally U may have come to your senses instead of constantly drinking that green koolade:mad:

20. championjets69

Math is incorrect he is 0-1 so how proud are U of the Johnson family records? :mad: