No playoff mandate for 2018 - Chris Johnson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 2, 2018.

1. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

Also said there is no “playoffs or bust” mandate for 2018.

What are your thoughts on this guys level of intelligence with regards to running an NFL Organization?

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

His level of intelligence will be congruent to the amount of revenue loss the organization experiences with a crappy product.

Meaning, if the team sucks and the Jets lose money to poor turnout again, he's going to wise-up real quick.

Also, it's Maccagnan.

ColoradoContrails, abc and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Naturally skeptical, but I guess we'll see. Missing the playoffs is tolerable if they're breaking in their 1st round rookie QB all season

4. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Here is Cimini's article regarding this topic.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...topher-johnson-promises-spend-money-offseason

Jets owner promises to spend big in the offseason

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- After seven consecutive seasons out of the playoffs, the New York Jets are preparing to spend big money in the offseason to improve their roster.

Acting owner Christopher Johnson, speaking to reporters on Tuesday, promised to be active in free agency. There certainly won't be any salary-cap restrictions, as the Jets will have a projected $100 million in cap space.

Johnson said he'd never mortgage the future for a short-term fix, but he anticipates being able to add players who will help the team over the long haul.

"We'd never go all-in on somebody that would last us only a year or two," he said. "We'll be active in free agency, but it's only going to be adding pieces that can be with us for a good, long time. We're in a really good position to do that."

The biggest question is quarterback. Johnson and general manager Mike Maccagnan both said they'd like to re-sign Josh McCown, a free agent, but they're also considering other veteran options. McCown, 38, still hasn't committed to playing next season.

The Jets could have some level of interest in Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins, who will be 30 next season -- still young enough to be considered a long-term answer.

"I think we're going to be very active in free agency," said Maccagnan, who, along with coach Todd Bowles, received a two-year contract extension through 2020. "I do think we have a lot of potential to improve this team going forward."

Maccagnan's philosophy is to build through the draft, but he said there are "quite a few good, young players" in free agency and "there's a lot of potential to go that route." In a 30-minute sitdown with reporters, he made several references to the team's enviable cap situation.

In addition to quarterback, the Jets, coming off their second straight 5-11 season, need help at running back, offensive line and cornerback.

Whether they actually spend to the cap limit is another story. Johnson said he hasn't discussed any cash-flow restrictions with Maccagnan, adding, "And I don't know there will be." He said the plan is to be aggressive, but "in a measured way."

The Jets will recoup $11 million in cap room by releasing defensive end Muhammad Wilkerson, which is considered a foregone conclusion. Asked whether he's disappointed in Wilkerson, a healthy scratch for the final three games, Johnson paused 11 seconds before declining to share his thoughts.

Another disappointing player is quarterback Christian Hackenberg, who didn't see any action in his first two seasons. Maccagnan, who used a second-round pick on him in 2016, refused to admit that Hackenberg is developing more slowly than expected.

"The book on Christian is not closed," Maccagnan said.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Ok, is this shit bordering on the absurd now? Not only is back to back 5-11 seasons is good enough for an extension of a 20-28 coach who's never made the post season, we're now being told we may have to wait even more years until the Jets are consistent winners. As long as they wave that carrot, the suckers will continue to believe. Chris Johnson is his brother's clone and this franchise is fucked.

Oh well.... 2025! Can't Wait!!!!

Jets acting owner Christopher Johnson first met the media in September, he said he wouldn't judge the 2017 season on "wins and losses." This was about progress, improvement, and rebuilding a franchise stuck in a rut.

So when the Jets finished the year 5-11, and gave coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan contract extensions, few batted an eye. Wholesale changes weren't expected. The two men did what Johnson wanted.

But this coming season should be different, right? Absent a postseason berth since 2011, the Jets have to get there in 2018, right?

"I have no mandate," Johnson said. "Believe me, I want to get to the playoffs. I want to build a team with Mike and Todd that can compete for the playoffs every year. That can't happen fast enough. But there's no mandate."

Woody's little brother apparently has no problem with the slow-and-steady team-building approach. He doesn't want to go all-in in 2018. He wants year-after-year success. That, he says, takes time.

This year, he saw signs the Jets are headed in the right direction, and received confirmation on Monday. While players cleaned out their lockers, he called several into his office. They all told him the same thing -- "something special" was happening with the Jets.

A big reason for that? Bowles.

"The players clearly love Todd," Johnson said. "I heard, more than once, they'd run through a brick wall for him. I think he's a great coach, a great coach of these men. The record at the end of the season didn't dissuade me from that.

"He's a great leader of men. He got the most out of his guys. He got more than anybody imagined out of these guys. The predictions the beginning of the season were pretty dire. I think some stars, some young stars emerged. An extraordinary core emerged. I attribute that to Todd and his staff."

Johnson said he determined early in the season he wanted everyone back, and never wavered throughout the year -- even when the Jets lost nine of their last eleven games, including four straight to close the year.

The 2017 Jets were better than the 2016 Jets, despite matching records. Now it's about making the 2018 version the best of the three. He believes Bowles and Maccagnan can make that happen. They certainly have the tools to keep improving, too. The Jets figure to have $100 million in salary cap space by the start of free agency. They hold the No. 6 pick in the NFL Draft, then two more in the second round, and one in each round the rest of the way. They need to find a quarterback, sure. Cornerback, offensive line and pass-rushing help wouldn't hurt, either. But successful teams, playoff teams, have been built with far less.

"(Christopher) understands what we're trying to accomplish," Maccagnan said. "I think he's very supportive of it. We're all on the same page. Not just myself and Christopher, but also (Todd Bowles) and as an organization. "We have a lot of things we feel good about. There are definitely some things we need to improve upon. But I do think we've got an offseason here which gives us a chance to do that."

Just one issue: How much longer can the Jets expect their fan base to wait?

Next year, the Jets will celebrate the 50th anniversary of their 1968 Super Bowl championship. It also marks 50 years since the Jets have been in a Super Bowl. That's not good, and Johnson isn't ignorant to it.

He spent time this season bouncing around tailgates, talking to those who bleed green. He's done his best to understand what's on their mind, how they feel. He knows how much this means to them.

Which is why his message to fans is simple: Success is coming.

"I know that we have given them a lot more pain than glory recently," Johnson said. "It's been a long time since we've had proper glory.

"I think that they understand that I'm trying to set this team up for glory. I think we'll get there. I really do."

They must think the fanbase just signed up this year. Empty seats is the only way to get thru to these idiots. Since the Ownership and Leadership refuses to hold this team to a higher level, I won't pretend any longer to view this team as anything but an afterthought. I pity all those STH holders. They should all get refunds from this rendition of amatuer hour.

dogg, ColoradoContrails, abc and 5 others like this.
  6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Mandates are pure potato.

Lose your QB for the season to injury and there goes your mandate.

Now you have to fire a guy who may not be fire-worthy because you gave a mandate and you don't want to look like a cuck.

Dom, zace, Mogriffjr and 5 others like this.
  7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

"I think that they understand that I'm trying to set this team up for glory. I think we'll get there. I really do."

more like a fukin glory hole there brother christopher.

abc and alleycat9 like this.
  8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

CMAN you wee begging for Petty all year and eveyone said Bowles is fighting for his job so he is going to play McCown, which makes sense ( the theory i mean)...if Johnson comes out and says the Jets have to make playoffs or Bowles is gone and we daft a QB at 6 and resign McCown.....all you'd see is McCown all year long. no thanks. Just because he owner doesnt say you better make the playoffs or youre gone doesnt mean he says regardless of results

BomberJet, Vida, FJF and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cman68

If it were anyone other than a rookie Owner, I'd give the benefit of the doubt. In this case, Johnson is trying to establish some credibility with the fanbase so when he says there's no mandate, there's no mandate. Its like that old saying: "if someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.." - Maya Angelou

Bowles was never in danger of losing his job as long as the team had a pulse. That's how low the bar was set in 2017. I guess Macc can rest easy now that he knows he can just piss away $100m in bloated contracts without any repercussions and Bowels can go 6-10 .

Face it.... Low Bar ahead once again in 2018

CBG likes this.
  10. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Exactly what I was thinking when they kept him..get read for Revis-2 and Wilkerson-2 because you can bet it's coming.

11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We don’t need no stinkin mandate

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Not at all

[​IMG]

13. Walt White

Maybe we could get a comment from Woody too.
    Or is his mouth full at his Glory Hole over in the U.K.?

14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

So, people are going to get mad because he won’t back himself into a corner?
    Ask yourself, would you willingly back yourself into a corner?

Dom, zace, PennyRoyal10 and 5 others like this.
  15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

“The book on Christian is not closed”

Funny because it seems to me it must be as it was never even opened.

Harpua, Vida, CBG and 1 other person like this.
  16. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Jet fans waiting for glacier like organization to complete its rebuild with Mac and Bowles.

[​IMG]

17. I don't have much of an issue with any of this if ownership truly is behind a complete & total rebuild. Up to this point the Johnsons have always stopped short of a rebuild for some sort of quick fix. I still don't think they have any clue about football but this IS the best path to finally changing the narrative.

The error is in keeping Bowles. Perhaps if Bowles doesn't improve in quick order he will be tossed aside or a lame duck in a "bridge Head coach" type of scenario similar to the early days of Terry Collins. I worry that he has a strong hand in drafting personnel & lacks any fire toward drafting offense early. It absolutely pivotal for the rebuild that this offseason & especially this draft is about adding pieces to the offense. Will Bowles be a voice in that discussion?If he's not that's a problem

ColoradoContrails, Vida, CBG and 2 others like this.
  18. Cman68

Its not backing himself into a corner, its about getting results on the field but that's not how Chris rolls is it. If Bowles continues to get the guys to play hard, we're supposed to be happy with that? Really? Open ended timeline for success? Maybe you have another 5-10 years to hang around waiting. If setting expectations is too much to ask of a professional football HC and team, then that team should just fold instead of stealing the fan's money year in and year out. Enough with the participation trophy every year..

If Bowles goes 6-10 or 7-9 next year, is that cause for celebration? Maybe to some of you but to me, its just another losing season in a long line of losing seasons.

19. Cman68

If the best Bowles can do with an $100m influx of talent and all of our DP's is 6-10 or 7-9, Maybe we should applaud and be thrilled. Hell, Ownership isn't in any hurry and even refuses to set a minimum acceptable standard of success besides being "competitive". Macc blows $100mil on stupid front loaded contracts and we put him up for 2018 Exec of the year?

Fuck it.. As long as the team has a pulse, lets just keep on doing the same shit over and over. Perhaps one day we'll be mediocre again. Maybe by 2025, we'll be 9-7.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Maybe I don’t read enough into what people say but all I understood was there is no mandate.

21. Cman68

Well, if there's no mandate, what exactly is the expectation for 2018? Are we in it for the participation trophy again? Why is it so hard to set standards and stick to them? In short, I would like to know exactly what the metrics are for the Jets in 2018? What measuring stick should the fans be looking at? Are we trying to be simply "competitive"again even after injecting $100m into the roster along with all our DP's?

Cmon man.. Everyone has to meet expectations in their lives. Every company has to meet them too. When exactly will the Jet Ownership demand excellence?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  22. Walt White

Has there ever been a mandate like that, anywhere, ever? IDK.

23. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

We will soon see if Mac has learned from his last spending spree. If they stay true and aren't looking for 1-2 yr fix type aging vets that could be great news if he signs the right players.

Woody may be a baffoon but he is willing to spend money so I don't blame him in that regard. I think bringing back toilet is a bridge move while the team re-tools and the next HC is Morton who just needs a few more years of seasoning as OC before becoming their HC.

Woody/Chris MUST change the pecking order to give the GM control over the coach.