No Negotiating Power....Our Downfall

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Aug 30, 2017.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good question. I guess I should have said that man could determine if there are any quality retreads. Others besides Carroll are bound to have learned from their mistakes. It would be up to him to figure that out. Holmgren is probably too old to return to coaching, but would he be a candidate to be the President of Football Operations? I don't think the elder Shanahan would be a possibility. I don't know enough about Marrone, or any of the other younger HCs who have failed within the last 5-10 years would be suitable or not. That would be up to him.

I don't know if Gruden is that good a HC even if he were to decide that he wanted to return to coaching and to coach the Jets. I do think he would know how to handle the QBs better than most, and I think it would be more likely that he or any retread who was worth considering would be more likely to join the Jets, if they knew a competent, qualified, experienced man was running the team and they didn't have to deal with Woody. Having the #1 or #2 pick in the draft plus a ton of cap space, wouldn't hurt, either.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The New York media market makes the Jets into a circus. I think they have been a pretty successful franchise over the last 20 years. When you listen to the media, you would think the Jets have been 3-13 every year since 1995. The current roster in 2015 needed to be stripped down and rebuilt. Instead they put bandaids on the team and it almost worked going (10-6). It all fell apart in 2016 and now the rebuild is officially on in 2017. I agree the Jets have made several mistakes through the years, but they are not as far off as people think. Really need to solve the QB position though. That is priority #1.

FJF and Attackett like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You tank this year and clean house. Then the Jets are quite an attractive organization if you think about it.

There will be a lot for the Jets to offer in 2018. A clean slate in the front office/coaching staff, the number 1 overall pick in a QB heavy draft to pick whichever guy you want, a solid core on defense to complement it, the NY market, cap space, and a weak/aging division.

looks like a great spot for an innovative offensive mind to me

The Dark Knight and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Problem is most of the big name retread candidates that I've mentioned will want full power and would likely want to bring in their own FO personnel.

Holmgren failed miserably in Cleveland when he was running Cleveland, would he be any better in NY?

If Woody was smart, which most of us can agree he is not he would be offering the keys to the franchise and partial ownership to Peyton Manning before some other team does. Hopefully Eli would have enough good things to say about the NY/NJ area that he would consider.

Probably the most realistic candidate that fits both the experienced and offensive minded is McDaniels, would he come here against the wishes of his mentor?

5. ChrebetCrunch

ChrebetCrunch Well-Known Member

You can't win with these SOJF. The Jets are doing something that I have never seen in my lifetime. They have a plan and are sticking to it. Rookie head coaches and rookie GMs make mistakes, and they are learning from them. This year is going to be a disaster, but it's part of the plan. 2018 will be the true year 1 of this regime.

This thread is a disaster too. The day after Mac pulls off a great trade, OP starts a thread about negotiating power. What a joke!

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

The next Jets GM should come from the Ravens personnel staff. Ozzie Newsome keeps them stacked with talent and like you said competitive. He trained under "The Evil Empire of the North" in Cleveland They were on the verge of doing great stuff there but Model fired them or moved them to Baltimore. So picking someone from Newsome staff would go a long ways to one getting some talent on this team. The Jets have been crappy for years and picking high in the draft. They should have much better players than they have. I know no ones gets it right all the time but you also shouldnt be getting it wrong over 70% of the time either.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. boozer32

Yeah but when they fire these guy or they quit and leave what is the plan then? I would feel much better doing a tank job with a better head coach. Bowles is not an innovator, not a great strategic coach, not even a good leader. Guys won't follow him into a burning building with gasoline pants like they would Parcells, Cowher. Or the quiet dignified types like Landry, Shanahan, Holmgren. How many years are they going to do the tank job also. I'm pretty sure by game 6 this year the stands will be empty and people will be screaming about the lousy product put on the field.

#27 boozer32, Sep 2, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

How many years are they going to do the tank job? This is the first rebuild they've done that I can remember.

9. ChrebetCrunch

This is the one and only year that they are tanking. There was no combination of draft, trades, and FA signings that was going to get this team into the playoffs this year. A complete tear down was the best scenario for this team. We have 80 million and 9 draft picks next year. If we suck in 2018, I'll be the first to send Bowles off to pasture. When the Jets went 10-6 with Fitzgerald at QB, very few people had an issue with Bowles.

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

No good having a brilliant one of those and then having a soggy paper bag trying to protect him.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  11. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

People definitely took issue with Bowles even in that 10-6 season. Rex schooled him twice. We had a bad loss to Philly. The Giants game was a miracle they handed to us. We just beat a bad Cowboys team starting Kellen Moore by the skin of our teeth. That team got to 10-6 but with decent coaching could've been 12-4.

Bowles is gone at the end of the season. With a top rookie QB and all that cap room...that's a good way to entice a bigtime coach to a program that's on the rise.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Just look at the Hackenberg situation for example.

Broncos took Lynch way earlier and he can't beat out Simien but yet you know hear nothing except, let him grow, blah blah blah.

13. BLottZ

BLottZ Member

We will have a really attractive job next year if the whole tank goes according to plan. But somehow we will probably wind up going 8-8.

#33 BLottZ, Sep 3, 2017
  14. forevercursed

Denver isn't New York. They've been to and won Super Bowls. They're patient and far more positive out there.

If you want to look at it another way, who was taken right after Hackenberg that is absolutely tearing the league up that we must have? Yea I'd rather have Deion Jones or Tyler Boyd but it's not like we passed on a bunch of great players to get Hack.

15. forevercursed

Then we're going to have to hope whoever's season falls apart and ends up #1 or 2 already has a QB they believe because we're trading up. There is no way we can let another year go by without a QB of the future.

16. boozer32

Do you really think the Jets plan 2 years in advance. Free agents will avoid this team. No one likes a loser. So that 80 million will be going to 3rd tier free agents. I had issues with Bowles in 2015 because he coached scared. the Jets should have made the playoffs. You have a QB throwing 30 TD you should be in the postseason.

17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Agreed.. This is the first true rebuild in my 50 some odd years of following this trainwreck of a franchise. Hopefully, I'll live long enough to see it bear fruit. Forgive me if I simply wait and see instead of the blind faith that some of our posters exhibit.

#37 Cman68, Sep 3, 2017
  18. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

This could be the best post I've ever read on this board

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Fans are sick of Lynch. Check out their subbreddit

20. ChrebetCrunch

I have thought that about Mac from year 1. He makes moves based on the next few years, and not the next year. Look at how he structures contracts. He isn't perfect, but at least he has a plan.