No hitter by a met....finally!

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by GRNYT, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Here's the point you're missing. On purpose, most likely -- THE UMP DIDN'T SEE THE CHALK! And you're full of shit about the Knoblauch tag not being black and white. It was a far more egregious call.

As for the Vinny comparison, stop moving the goalposts. I just gave you the example YOU ASKED FOR. There is never going to be a perfect comparison.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The example was a poor one, it has nothing to do w/ the ump missing an easy call.

The Knoblauch call was bad but plays like that happen all the time. This was the worst possible call and it impacted a no hitter, it was as bad of a call as the Gallarag call in the perfect game except there was some gray area in that call unlike this one where chalk flew up.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Anybody remember that time in the World Series in 77 or 78 when Reggie Jackson was caught in a rundown between first and second and he shoved his ass out to knock the throw into right field? Tainted championship!

4. nyjunc

That's open for interpretation, seeing chalk fly up is not.

5. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

So honest question... do you actually believe your own bullshit? Or were you just trying to tweak Mets fans and you're now forced to defend a ridiculous position?

6. nyjunc

when I see footage of that no hitter it will always remind me of the blown call. It was black and white, it stains a milestone game. It has ntohing to do w/ the Mets or Met fans, if a Yankee pitched a NH the same wya I'd say the same thing. You can pretend it was a real NH, I know better just like I know Gallaraga pitched a PG

7. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

Clearly you are a better, nobler, and purer fan of athletic competitions than the rest of us plebes.

8. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

Will you at least admitt that bad calls are a part of the game? I don't even consider this one that bad because in real time it is hard to notice the chaulk that you can see in slow motion. I have seen worse calls made in no-hitters before.

There are a lot of NH's that have bad calls but over time those are forgotten just like everyone else will with this one. The Galaragga call sticks out because the call was so bad thus that one will be remembered for it.

If you want to think it's tainted go ahead but you will have few others who agree. You might find some in the bronx but thats about it.

9. nyjunc

Absolutely bad calls are part of the game but this one was as clear as could be and it played a key role in a no hitter.

The ump is feet away in real time, he should have been able to see the chalk.

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Thank you! Absolute bullshit. That was Game 4 of the 1978 World Series after the Dodgers led 2-0 in the Series, I was 11 and was pissed about it then. Luckily 1981 took some of the sting out of it.

11. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

So now your telling us what the ump "should" have seen, where you standing in the same position he was when that play happened? Where you on the field with him? Did Beltran or Metheny come out to argue the call if it was so blatantly obvious to everybody on the field that it was a hit?

Furthermore you claiming it is "tainted" and the ump "should" have seen it the way you wanted it to be seen is implying that the ump purposely blew the call so the Mets could have finally had a no hitter. You don't know how clear it was to the man behind the plate and you don't know how obvious it was to him. You are failing to take anything into account other then the replay which is why you are wrong, you are taking the human element out of the game so by that logic we need to rewatch every significant moment in the history of sports because the human element should be overruled so things meet your satisfaction.

I'm sure Knick fans remember the "phantom foul" called on Scottie Pippen that gave Hubert Davis 3 FT's to give the Knicks a game in what was it 96? They don't blow that call and the Bulls go back to the NBA Finals (without Michael Jordan btw)

Weber traveled and no tech should have been called for the timeout, Carolina would not have been on the line for a travel, they would have had to inbound the ball which is no guarantee. You said earlier that there is no way to know for sure that Tony Tarrasco makes the play on the Meier play so then we don't know for sure if Carolina inbounds the ball and wins that game.

We need to rewatch the Giambi play on the Jeter flip because Giambi could have been safe and thus giving the A's a decent lead in game 3 already up 2-0 in the series.

Here is a perfect one and I know your old enough to remember, The University of Colorado's national title in football is tainted because the officials on the field gave them a 5th down when Missouri should have won the game by stopping them on 4th down.

Don Denkinger ring a bell? Yup that Royals WS title is tainted too

We could just go back to the play in game between the Rockies and Padres, do you remember Matt Holiday sliding at home and winning the game? Replays show he never touched the plate so clearly their winning the National League pennant is tainted

And apparently this is not black and white

[​IMG]

12. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Gallaraga did not pitch a perfect game.

13. GRNYT

GRNYT Member

amazing how petty yankees fans are...go buy another championship. btw was jeffrey mayer on the payroll too? or perhaps that ump that called that 3rd strike right down the middle a ball on tino martinez vs the padres...i think that "taints" the 98 world series...congrats to the padres on winning 1998 title!

14. Barry the Baptist

Not all Yankee fans, many have ripped junc's outlandish position of a judgement call that he doesn't agree with "tainting" a major accomplishment in Mets history. The way he is reacting you'd think Beltran hit a homer to deep center and the ump called it foul.

15. nyjunc

The Knoblauch play is nothing like what happened the other night. A still photo isn't going to show everything and umps anticipate the tag on those types of plays, many times the runner isn't actually tagged. That is completely different than seeing chalk fly up. That's bacl and white.

I don't claim the ump should have seen it the way I wanted, I clim he should have seen the proper call. it was an easy one to make.

You think Carolina wouldn't have been able to inbounds the ball? really? Copme on Miano, none of these examples are close to the black and white call that should have been made the other night.

Giambi may have been safe but that was a CLOSE play w/ no definitive evidence unlike chalk flying up.

Yes, I agree Colorado's Nat'l title is tainted and everyone knows it just like everyone knows this NH is tainted.

KC's WS is tainted as well but again that was a judgement call not a black and white one where chalk flew up.

I'm being petty but you are whining about the Yankees paying for players when the Mets play in the same City and have the same opportunities to spend and make money. The Mets have spent the most on an annual basis over the last decade in the NL- where are their NL pennants? where are their playoff apps? stop whining.

balls and strikes are the same as seeing chalk fly up. Stop whining, enjoy your tainted first NH in history. if you didn't know it was the truth you wouldn't care what I or any other rational sports fan had to say about it.

The way I am reacting I saw a hit in a no hitter.

16. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

You are hilariously full of shit.

The ump did not see the chalk fly up. This is obvious, no? If he did, he would have called it a fair ball. Same as the ump not seeing Knoblauch's "tag." The difference is that the Knoblauch tag was a far, far, far more obvious thing to see, and a far worse call. Go watch the video yourself since the still photo "doesn't show everything." :lol:

Everyone? Seems like you're the only one. Poor junc. Sane man in an insane world, right?

You don't just get to make shit up, junc. The world doesn't work like that.

17. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Did you see the play in real time? It was an easy call in slow motion for sure, but the game doesn't happen in slow motion. Now your just being stubborn for the stubborn's sake.

18. Barry the Baptist

How many feet away is Offerman from Knoblauch in that picture? 5-6? Still photo or not Knoblauch is no where close to Offerman so there is no possible way he could have applied the tag but I'm sure you'll use your own rules to argue he did and why it's the right call.

Just because we can see in slow motion that he got the call wrong doesn't taint anything. Instant replay isn't part of the game in that situation so it taints nothing. It was a judgement call and it wasn't an easy call to make in real time. He "should" have seen the proper call but he didn't, that doesn't taint anything. Tainted is if there is cheating going on, a missed judgement call in real time with no replay isn't cheating.

I love your logic, we don't know if Tarrasco makes a catch on a fly ball but we know for a fact that Carolina would have been able to inbound a ball with a national title on the line? Anything could have happened and your a big enough basketball fan to know that but your just arguing for the sake of arguing.

You keep saying "chalk flew up" but obviously Adrian Johnson didn't see it, what is so hard to grasp about that? If he did he would have called it a fair ball. He's not going to purposely blow a call and risk his job. The point is none of these things are tainted, it was a blown call. You want to put your own parameters on this and you can't. You want to take the human element away from it, you want to use replay to decide it was a fair ball but MLB doesn't use replay so it's a moot point. You want to say what Johnson should have seen but he didn't, that doesn't make anything illegitimate or tainted. You also neglect that Beltran still had an opportunity to get a hit in that at bat and the Cardinals had 26 other chances to do so and didn't. By making your outlandish claims you are also taking away the tremendous effort by the Mets fielders who made some incredible plays.

You can say all those other things aren't the same but they are judgement calls that were wrong that led to significant plays in sports history.

19. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

junc mind is tainted.

Jeffery Maier.

#79 ShadeTree#55, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
  20. ShadeTree#55

ShadeTree#55 Active Member

#80 ShadeTree#55, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012