NJ is now only state that doesn't allow self serve gas station

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by The Waterboy, Jan 4, 2018.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

If you are tipping $1-2 every time I don't think anyone is having a problem with you, especially if they are only pumping your gas. Though if they knew about your proclivity for always betting on the P*ts they might start throwing some sugar in your gas tank.

2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

You have to look at it universally. Who do you tip and who do you not tip? You can't just tip anybody that does the job they get paid to do. I mean by that logic, why not tip at the McDonalds drive through, or your cashier at the supermarket? Why not tip the newspaper guy or your mailman, or your landlord, your UPS guy? Tipping is a practice that leads to favoritism and makes pride in one's work a thing of the past. Plus very often the people who do the hard work get nothing out of it.

I remember busting my ass working in loading trucks at UPS when I was young. Hot summer days in 110 degree trailers and cold winter nights where it was freezing in the hub. Loading and busting our ass all shift so that people can get their packages on time. I did all that without expecting any extra compensation outside of my paycheck (which was pretty weak at the time) and never bitched about it. That puts being a gas station attendant to shame (no offense if you do that).

People need to suck it up and do the job they get paid to do. If you can afford to tip everyone that ever helps you in any way, then that's fine, I have no problem with that, but it should never be expected, unless you are in restaurant or bar where they depend on that tip money to get by. Gas station attendants don't get paid nearly as low as waiters do. And don't get me wrong, I'll tip em if they go above and beyond (wash the windshield, check oil, etc).

That's why I have so much respect for Japanese culture. They have pride in what they do and expect to always do their best without the needing of extra financial compensation for it. Over here you are practically expected to tip everybody for virtually everything, even when they don't deserve it. Nobody takes pride in their work anymore, they just want hand outs. I'm sorry that your boss doesn't pay you what you deserve, but that's not my problem. If you want a tip, then go above and beyond and earn it. Eh, maybe I'm just a prick.

#42 Sam Hammer, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You jelous you. I have tons of vCash and I will bet every single cent on Pats but @Yisman doesn't have Pats on Moneyline this weekend.

4. The Waterboy

I double dog dare ya to bet everything you have on the P*ts every game through the Super Bowl

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Damn straight. We're more civilized than that.

6. Brook!

@Yisman

Can you add Pats moneyline please? I want to accept Waterboy's challenge. he agreed to wash my car for a year if I win. Lol.

7. The Waterboy

Remember, it's every game through the Super Bowl. And you really need to start spelling P*ts correctly, can never forget the asterisk

8. Brook!

Win win for me. If Pats win the Superbowl I will be rich. If they don't win this year I will be double happy. Willing to put all my money down for it. Now it is time for our boss @Yisman to allow the Pats moneyline. Sorry. I mean P*ts.

The Waterboy likes this.
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Yeah sure. Read what waterboy wrote in post 35 about being gracious and respectful to people who do things for you.

10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Like I said, if somebody goes above and beyond, or their job requires tips for them to get by, then I will tip generously. I'm not just going to throw money at every single person that ever does something for me. They aren't doing it out of the goodness of their heart, they are doing the job they get paid to do. Call me cold or a jerk, I don't really care. Tipping is a scam that only encourages companies to not pay their employees well enough, because we foot the bill for them.

Just because somebody is in customer service, doesn't mean they should automatically get tons of tips. I only tip people that earn it. Tipping everyone only lowers the standards and it becomes the status quo. The quality of workmanship suffers, and people that do real work behind the scenes (not in customer service) don't see any of those tips and many do much more difficult jobs. It's not really a fair practice. All I'm saying is that nobody should ever expect tips, unless they work in a tip dependent profession. If you want tips then go above and beyond the call of duty and I'll have no problem tipping. That's all I'm saying.

#50 Sam Hammer, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

easy there!

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

13. Brook!

I think if people are given a choice they rather pay tip and somebody fill up their tank.

14. The Waterboy

Hey, I had a bunch of friends in New Rochelle, just not from the uppity fuckwad side of town. You didn't go to Iona did you?

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  15. The Waterboy

Not me, I put in my own water heaters, flooring, doors, etc., I am always more inclined to do stuff myself rather than have someone do it for me. Especially not something as menial as pumping gas.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  16. Brook!

You are one tough guy what can I say. Today I filled up my tank in the morning on my way to office. Asked the attendant what percent of folks tip. He said less than %50. Just one data point.

Reading the back and forth between tippers and non tippers on this thread.

17. The Waterboy

I wouldn't say I'm tough, just too damn cheap to pay someone to do the work.

18. Brook!

Well no you aren't cheap. Remember the private message I sent to you prior to Tampa game? And how you passed on the offer? A cheap guy would never do that. You soft hearted oldie you. Lol.

The Waterboy likes this.
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Last time I took my wife’s car to get an oil change they didn’t put the dipstick back in. Now unless it’s something I don’t have the tools for I do everything myself. Only way to know it’s done right

stinkyB and The Waterboy like this.
  20. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

haha ... nope, i went to new ro high