Next years QB if the Jets win too many games

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Oct 7, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's way too soon to determine which way they should go. First, they need to see where they're drafting and who might be available at that point. Then they need to see what it would cost them to sign a Cousins or Garappolo. I remain open-minded, but would really prefer they draft their FQB. Garappolo isn't a cinch and he would cost a fortune; Cousins is a better bet, but he would cost even more and again, no guarantee. Given they're rebuilding, go all the way.

NYJetsO12, westiedog1 and hwismer like this.
  2. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Draft every late round QB and pickup all mediocre FA QBs and roll with 15 QBs on the roster. 1 is bound to be decent. This is a legitness approach.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would prefer they buy a QB on the FA market.

4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

They were 9-7 last year paying the QB nothing. The year they won the superbowl they paid Manning close to $20M.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Against Cal last night 0 TD's, 5 Ints, 9 sacks. Didn't see the game, so I can't say if it was him or the team, but those are some pretty ugly numbers.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You answered your own question.
    Why would the Chiefs possibly entertain a trade for an overpaid, underperforming player(Mo Wilk) for a QB who have been playing very well the past couple of seasons,and is currently the top QB in the league this season.
    Makes zero sense for the Chiefs.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Giants and Steelers will draft franchise QBs and we will continue the carousel with a short term solution

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Beki

Beki Active Member

It will be really interesting how Macc gonna approach the FA and draft from QB point of view. Of course, it depends on our draft position, but I think it will be around top10, as we have 2nd thoughest schedule from now.

One thing seems to be clear for me:
    Petty & Hack isn't our answer as fr QB. With ton of cap space and an extra 2nd round, (assuming Macc won't be fired) Maccagnan has to put full faith on his scouts and thinking about drafting a QB in round 1 if they feel XY can be Jets' new fr QB.

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Very ugly!

10. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'd be really concerned about getting Garapollo just because of how guys play after they leave New England..

So many QB prospects for this draft even outside of Darnold and Rosen and I'll hope some start to look like franchise QBs . With that being the case, hopefully they don't need to pick 1 to get a great player. I'm starting to be intrigued by Lamar Jackson actually. Electric on his feet, but he looks to throw first and does so well.

My hope is drafting a QB high, but would be open to Cousins if the Redskins continue to dislike him for some reason. However if he's not a Redskin next year I think he'll clearly be a 49er.

westiedog1 likes this.
  11. Laxg41

Laxg41 Well-Known Member

Yup and all these sheep will continue to accept mediocrity and cheer for trash. "Hey guy I think we have a real shot at 6 or 7 wins this year" HAH!!! What pathetic troglodytes. This franchise is destined to fail and will never get the qb. Fate has a way of choosing its champions and the jets are no champion, they are the jester.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  12. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

It makes perfect sense. Why release him outright if they can get a DL in return? If Mo pulls a no-show the rest of the year they will look at other options from other teams before releasing him outright but if Mo shows up the rest of the year I can see them wanting to get something in return. The issue to me is solely on Mo and his play the rest of the way.

13. I utilize a portion of the fruitful cap space to buy early draft picks in the same manner Cleveland did last year w Brock Osweiller.

Then we either use the picks to trade up in the draft or trade the farm for Andrew Luck who I'm convinced will be available.

NoodleArm and Walt White like this.
  14. Cman68

Next years QB will be.... Josh McCown assuming he still wants to play and surives this year on his feet. If you look at Fitz2.0, you have to wonder if McCown is thinking: "Hell, if Fitz could get these idiots to bid against themselves, why not me??". I see McCown coming for the same money and bonuses in 2018 as the Jets will be thrilled with his game management ability. If McCown does opt out, there's other Vets out there the Jets can sign.

15. TonyFtLaud

Why take an avg to below avg player(Wilkerson) at $17 mill when your team (the Chiefs) are all ready over the projected cap by a mill. They are hoping to trade Smith to free up $14 mill that gives them money to sign their draft class with $7-8 mill left.
    Besides Mo's poor play last year and just over a quarter of this season, he has been an off field headache. Late to meetings for years. Other teams know about those issues. They want draft picks for Smith. Not Wilkerson.
    Smith is playing at a very high level and has way more value than Wilkerson at this point. It really is not a viable scenario.

16. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

No way that happens. Maccagnan overpaying and journeyman QB twice in the same tenure and the QB's turning into overpaids busts would be his final nail in the coffin.

Plus - if we go 4-12, 5-11, Maccagnan cannot argue that McCown was somehow a savior that made this team legitimate.

17. Cman68

These are the Jets we're talking about here. Never say something won't happen. Who would have believed Macc would have gotten into a 1 sided bidding war for a QB who had already started his downhill trajectory and lose?? McCown and this team goes anywhere near 6 wins and the FO will have those contract papers on the table faster than you can say:"10mil guaranteed".

Fitz2.0 I mean... McCown2.0 anyone?

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Macc paid a QB who managed to win 10 games, even when a lot of fans knew that it was a mistake. McCown is older, than Fitz, and won't have nearly the amount of success. The Jets are not winning 10 games so the situations aren't aligning as they did in 2015. Macc needs to go out and spend a ton on Cousins or may need to trade up.

19. Cman68

The bar is a lot lower in 2017 than it was in 2015. I'm not so sure Macc would trade up to get any QB. DT or LB perhaps... QB? Not when there are so many Vet Qb's just milling around willing to play for $5-10mil guaranteed. Cousins will cost too much money as Macc already got burned on Wilks' monster contract. Don't forget.. McCown is exactly what the Jets look for in a QB. A marginally successful Old Vet game manager who is just happy to be playing anywhere.

#119 Cman68, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  20. TonyFtLaud

3 year $36 mil with $18 guaranteed , plus incentives. McCown gives us the best chance to win...
    Can't wait to see him hoist the Lombardi trophy next year !!!! Bet he fumbles it.....