#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can draw such a clear cut line between the impact and responsibilities of Macc and Bowles regarding players. It doesn't work that way. They communicate - you said so yourself - and Bowles has a right to give his opinion or his "Grocery List", and Macc can agree or not, but if you think it doesn't affect his decisions to a greater or lesser degree you're naive. If you think this is not the case, please show me some proof.

To put it in other terms you may understand, you've said often that Bowles doesn't run the offense, that it's the OC's job to do that, absolving Bowles of any responsibility for poor game planning and play calling - isn't this the same? If you're going to say the buck stops with Macc for player acquisitions because he's in charge, you need to also apply that same principle with Bowles for decisions made by those under him. You really seem to have a double standard when it comes to holding Bowles accountable.

I know you don't agree with this and I don't agree with your POV on this, so we can just "agree to disagree".

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

its clear cut because that is their responsibility. Look at Mac's history. He was a scout for like a decade, that background allows him and Bowles to create a team. However, I look at Mac as the guy that knows what he wants, I think Hack was a Mac pick more then anything. However, at the end of the day ... Mac's responsibility is to field the 53 man, at the end of the day ... you get the input from your scouting team and coaching staff, but Mac is the one that makes the transaction. Shit man haven't you see Draft Day with Kevin Costner? Mac ain't no Costner, but perhaps with this draft maybe he can really pull something. Personally, Mac hasn't done a great job either, but I see him getting a pass from a lot of fans / media and that's not how the game is played. I see at the top a lot of picks that were pretty obvious, but the mid rounds, that's where a GM makes their money. He ain't doing so hot there.

In terms of your 2nd paragraph, Bowles is 110% responsible for the coaching. So whatever Mac brings in, Bowles is responsible for coaching them up. I have my grips with Bowles in terms of player usage and game management. I have plenty of issues on O. But this right here is a different subject, we can go on about this.

we all have different perspectives and it's nice, continue to display that ... I just have a different vision and there is nothing wrong with that.

#82 101GangGreen101, Jan 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    thedrjay and FJF like this.
  3. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Well, if my memory serves me correctly, Harbaugh lost a total of 11 players to the NFL in the 2017 draft. MORE than Alabama, the most of any college.

So last season was Harbaugh playing with a fresh, young team. Yet Michigan overall still did rather respectable. He can and will win there when the players get a little older and build more chemistry.

I would still take him to be HC in a hot NY second.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice post till you used that word "chemistry" ..and I think you know why...AHAHAHA

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

We
    Well I appreciate that you've kept this civil and respectful despite our apparently intractable opinions. But I still maintain that Bowles has influence on who Macc picks up. Again, I'm not saying AT ALL that Bowles calls the shots or that Macc doesn't have final say, but unless the Jets have some unbreakable rule that prohibits the HC from influencing player acquisitions , then you're asking me to believe that human nature is suspended. Macc and Bowles talk all the time - you acknowledged this - and a by-product of all that talk is that Macc will get a clear picture of who Bowles is looking for. Of course Macc his own "Grocery List" - and I agree that Hack was his pick 100% - and who's to say which other picks were "pure" Macc? But if you claim that Bowles has no influence in the players signed, I just can't accept that. But if you're right, then it might explain why the Jets have struggled with players not playing up to their predicted level, either because their skillset didn't match what Bowles needed, or Bowles chose not to adjust his system to fit the guys that Macc "forced" on him. And if THAT'S the case, the Jets are in a bigger mess than even I thought.

Again, thanks for the civil responses.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. Mainejet

Well, the point of my post was to let you know (in case you didn't know) that Michigan is basically a 100% new team. Harbaugh lost a lot of talented bodies to the draft. He's still a great coach, but I don't think it's reasonable to expect the Wolverines to go to the Rose Bowl every year. Especially, after losing all of those players. It takes time.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

The Norv Turner hire at OC in Carolina is interesting.

There will be new ownership there soon that move reeks of a possible replacement for Ron Rivera hire.

I think Ron Rivera is possibly the most underated head coach in the NFL, excellent head coach.

I know Woody doesn't pay fr quality experience at HC or GM but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

8. NYJetsO12

Just saw the Tape..Harbaugh pushed him out of the way!!! There was NO handshake

Schwartz is justified imo

Now HEs in the SB and Harbaugh is figuring out U of Michigan..hah

9. NYJetsO12

At this point isn't ANYONE better than Toilet Bowles...sure RR why not?..would prefer An Offensive Coach and I am not sure Rivera is one however

10. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

That was a good movie, Jennifer Garner is super sexy even after 3 kids.

11. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

You win with players. This is a silly thread.

LF911SC likes this.
  12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Woody doesn't run the team, Chris would be doing the hiring.

13. Red Menace

Gus Bradley was the HC of the Jaguars for four years before he was fired. Doug Marrone was hired and reached the championship game with the core of those players Gus had, coaching is just as important.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Mainejet

You are 100% correct. All you have to do to know that is look at the 2016 draft. Mac wanted an OL all the way. Instead, he took that little twerp linebacker. That has Blowes name all over that move. Everyone knows he used to play Deion Buchanon and probably had SOME success with it. And I do mean some, overall that would have never worked out and would have eventually been heavily exploited.

So it was definitely Blowes talking to Mac about taking Darron Lee in case Mac couldn't get the OL he coveted...........

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Link proving any of this?

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You bite your lip and (if need be) get in his grill inside - you don't make a butthurt spectacle out of yourself however absent-minded Harbaugh came across.

This is a Jethro Tull thread. . You're right : )

The same Mac that has stated that OL talent can be found in the mid-to-later rounds just before his 1st draft with the NYJ?

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/j...ree-drafts-an-inside-look-at-the-jets-21-club
    2. He isn't a fan of drafting offensive linemen: Maccagnan has relied on free agency, not the draft, to rebuild the line. He has drafted only two linemen, both in the fifth round -- Jarvis Harrison (a bust) and Brandon Shell. In fact, the Jets are the only team in the past three drafts that hasn't picked a lineman in the first four rounds.

Harpua and Red Menace like this.
  17. Red Menace

He will ignore the oline again in the early part of the draft. Defense with first 3 picks, number 6, and both second rounders.

18. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

basically a game or 2 apart

But these moronic Jet fans kneel at the altar of Todd Gump because of .... why exactly?

Give me a reason please?

Kotite was a better coach FWIW. At least he inspired players early on.

Bowles is a joke.

Never made a single player, or unit better.

Fire him ASAP

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Kotite had a promising start to his coaching career and seemed competent with Philly working with Buddy's team. Eventually things started to decay on him. Kotite was just flat out lazy as a coach. Lazy and apathetic

Bowles I think tries...he's just not a very intelligent football mind. I don't think we'll ever see the absolute best out of Adams and Maye until we get better coaching in here. Bowles is not the right guy to nurture their development

And what happened to Mo Wilk and Revis under Bowles? Both of those guys played under Rex. Under Bowles they pretty much flat out quit on football.

This year is really it for TB. If we don't see consistent efforts. Finishing games strong. Quality adjustments and a cohesive locker room then he needs to go. Because Mac did not hire Bowles and Mac is putting together a solid roster. He deserves a chance to hire his own coach to make his vision a reality and not underachieve as Bowles has done.

The fact that Kacy Rodgers is still here is an absolute joke

#99 forevercursed, Aug 26, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2018
    hwismer, Ralebird, NCJetsfan and 7 others like this.
  20. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I kind of like Bowles and am still hopeful but I agree with the sentiment that this is a big year for him. If this season really ends up being a disaster I'm really not sure why you would ever give him another chance.

Almost like Bryce Petty last season. I really liked him and thought he could do well but after what happened happened..... you gotta just get him out of here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.