#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think that the Johnsons wanted to remove any "hot seat" impressions and allow Macc and Bowles complete freedom to do what they believe is right. Especially regarding Bowles, who might've decided to play McCown and not let Petty of Hack play because his fear of being fired if he didn't win. That said if, after having total freedom to make decisions, they still don't vastly improve this year, they might be fired anyway...contracts were made to be broken in the modern era.

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Armed with 80 to 100 million in cap space and the 6th, 37th, and 49th picks in the 2018 NFL Draft I expect the Jets to field a winning team. Anything less and I am having a real hard time justifying bringing them both back. Especially if a guy like Jim Harbaugh becomes available.

3. ColoradoContrails

You continue to excuse Bowles, as if he has no input on who makes the Grocery List -

Who makes the "grocery list" if not the HC? Of course the GM and other people have input, but the HC sure does have a big say on who he gets, and isn't a victim.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The same twat who chased after Jim Harbaugh like a spurned little bitch because he took offense at what he considered an 'overly enthusiastic' post-game handshake by Harbaugh???

Pass.

5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The HC might have input, but that input isn't the deciding factor at all. My issues w/ Bowles are strictly related to coaching, not talent acquisition. The GM and scouting team creates the "grocery list" or the draft board. The only time I would even consider a HC's input is if that person is a QB guru that knows exactly what they need in a QB.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

maccagnan negotiated poorly. I think both him and bowles are to blame for the fitzpatrick disaster for sure.

But I have a hard time believing the guy who picked up Fitzpatrick for nothing 1 year earlier and then drafts a guy in the second round right after the season, suddenly believes he HAS to have Fitzpatrick back.... unless of course the coaching staff was pining for it. ..

and the Gailey stuff is on Bowles. If he was not involved with the offense, that's his fault, that's being a bad head coach, not an excuse

7. Don't get me wrong I don't want Schwartz but I see no problem w. that incident pertaining to the jets HC Job. The guy hates to lose & doesn't want his face rubbed in it.

Jets have had too many football people who accepted losing & never showed a backbone when teams like the Giants & Patriots have rubbed it in our faces. While rex tried to put a stop to it...he showed restraint which sort of eliminated the premise.

Some fight & fortitude would be a welcome change from Toilet Bowles.

8. ColoradoContrails

How exactly does a GM who almost never was a coach before becoming a GM, build a "grocery list" without massive input from the CS? Yes, he can choose to not get certain players for economic/contract reasons, but he sure isn't going to completely ignore what the HC says he needs to succeed! Your excuse-making for Bowles seems unlimited.

playtowinthegame likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

Agree, but how about some F&F from an offensive guy for a change?

10. Like I said...don't want Schwartz for the reason you just outlined. But the F&F would be a nice change. The other side of the Schwartz incident would fit the bill. Come on down mr. Harbaugh...Course the Michigan state fan in me is cringing lol

playtowinthegame likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

someone usually has to wake Todd Bowles up before the post game handshake :D:D

12. 101GangGreen101

Mac should've stayed strong and not caved despite what people may or may not have told him. He is the GM and has the final say. He needs to stand his ground if he feels Fitz doesn't need to come back.

In terms of Gailey, I agree that is on Bowles. Hopefully Bowles continues to learn these lessons. Each season, there has been a lesson learned.

13. 101GangGreen101

You do know Mac was a scout before being a GM? He has a scouting team that goes to several regions across the US. These guys go out and watch college players play all of the time. Bowles is not out there scouting college players during the middle of the season.

That's where the list comes from. Its not excuses, it's rationale. At the end of the day, the GM is responsible. As I said, HC input is required, however a certain amount of weight plays a role in that decision. The GM has the power.

14. ColoradoContrails

So what you're saying is that the GM doesn't place heavy emphasis on what his HC says he needs to succeed? That the GM, based upon his own observations (and those of his scouts) decides who will best fit the team, independent of coaching philosophy or system? You can't be serious. Bowles has major say so in who Macc tries to get, and to say he's a helpless victim, completely at the mercy of Macc is definitively excuse-making.

15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Not enough time to teach Gump.

16. 101GangGreen101

The GM should be well aware of what the team needs. You really don't think the GM is not out there most practices? Talking with the HC? You don't think he watches the games and knows who isn't good on this roster? These are all football minds at the end of the day. Bowles at best will tell Mac, what he may want in a player (measurables) but he does not tell Mac to select a player, he does not have that overriding permission. His Input at best is his input. That will be the last time I mention that.

I am dead ass serious and this has nothing to do with "excuse-making" --- this is just another agenda you and a bunch of fans have on Bowles that is quite honestly fabricated and makes absolutely no sense. Bowles has no major say in contractual negotiations, and what players name is on the draft card. Input is input, but at the end of the day Mac turns in the card.

Do you think Bowles is for the most part responsible for the draft board? I am interested in your answer there.

legler82 likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

I absolutely believe he has input, not just on the draft board, but on all player moves. Is his the overriding voice? Not unless the GM decides to listen, and in many cases they do. Do you think Rex had zero say? The HC most certainly can express his opinion and desires, and the GM can choose to listen or not. BTW: I am NOT absolving Macc from any of this. In the end, as you say, he has the final say, but you seem bent on making Bowles out to be a victim, held hostage by his GM, and that's not the case.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

I am not making Bowles out to be the victim, I am simply rationalizing this discussion. I hold Bowles accountable for his on the field coaching and I hold Mac accountable for player moves. Both have been underwhelming so far with a possibility to really turn things around. If this discussion were about coaching, then yeah let's talk Bowles, but we aren't talking that we are talking player moves in which Mac has the final say. If I were Mac, would I take a player cause Bowles wants me to? Not necessarily, not even close.

Can't really add Rex to this, each regime works differently. Tanny and Mac are completely different GMs.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I don’t look at the current year draft class when trying to guess w-l record for the year. My thinking is, if you are relying on your draft class to turn you around that same year you are probably in for a long year.
    So that leaves the money,I think there is one signing that propels them in to win or else territory. Since you think that is not happening you believe that cj signed dead men walking to 2 free years of pay for the hell of it?

20. 101GangGreen101

Harbaugh was great at one point, but can't get Michigan over the hump to save his life.

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.