Next 3 Games...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jeti, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Sez the guy that still has Rex in his user name..still wanna talk about "clueless" ...
    Rex drafted Sanchez who replaced Kellen Clemens. Traded up if memory serves. Your hero was the most QB and Offense Stupid HC in the modern era of Jet Football. So your hero started Sanchez who turned out to be a POS QB. Do me a favor and trot out those back to back AFCCG losses you Rexaholics cling to. Now Geno? Idzik was behind that. It was Idzik who most likely forced Rex to start Geno. Your two examples of Rex playing rookie QBs are in fact correct. Its the back story that exposes you as a poser trying to make himself a name. Now go play with your Rex bobble head.

#61 Cman68, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    TonyFtLaud likes this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't think McCown will survive this season, let alone return as starter in 2018. I am his biggest supporter and I don't even think he is very good. Hackenberg will get his chance this year. If not, then definitely next year. Looks like they already have given up on Petty, so expect him to be traded if a QB is drafted or flat out released. Then he will go to a new team and become a Pro Bowl QB I am sure.

You make a good point on Morton too. Maybe he can get something out of Petty/Hack. Hopefully one or the other see the field soon.

3. Cman68

Anything Morton and Bates can get out of Petty and Hack would be the first as Gailey couldnt be bothered with such mundane things like teaching the young QBs how the position is played. 2 years wasted watching the Gailey & Fitz show. Set both those kids' development back quite a bit.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Cman, I don't see how you can say "the Jets" as if it's some unique identifiable personnel that has been consistent over the last 50 years, and we know that isn't true. They've had two different owners over the last 50, and maybe three. I don't remember when Leon Hess took sole control of the team. We've had countless HCs, OCs, GMs, Scouting Personnel, Team Presidents and the like in that 50 year period. The track record as you point out does seem to suggest that there's been some consistency of thought, or one person has maintained control, but that isn't the case.

I don't think "the Jets" prefer veteran QBs. I think the problem, as all of the team's problems do, stem from the dumbass owners we've had. Leon Hess was an absolute and utter moron when it came to football. He was the antithesis of Woody Johnson. He never meddled. Until he hire Parcelss, he never pushed to build a winner. He never hired a knowledgeable football man to run the team. He made one clueless, impossibly stupid hire after another. He never tried to get the Jets their own home.

Woody at least tried to get the Jets their own home, and he has tried using a consulting company and hiring two former GMs as consultants to make better hires. He's the ultimate dilettante, however, and he meddles. He's influenced too much by personality, and not enough by knowledge, competency and skill. Like Hess, he either is too arrogant or too stupid (or both) to hire a professional football man to run the football team and to make all the decisions on hiring and firing. Like Hess, he has hired business/marketing and real estate people as Team President.

How can we expect the Jets to develop young QBs (something more complicated and advanced), when the owners can't even run the team correctly and hire someone who knows what in the hell they're doing to run the team?

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

LMAO, thanks for making it obvious that you are indeed clueless. None of that changes the fact that what you originally said was completely false.

6. NCJetsfan

I'm not convinced we'll see Petty even if the Jets don't win another game this season. It doesn't appear that Bowles likes Petty. I really think that Bowles will keep playing McCown until very late in the season and then possibly let Hack start the last 2-3 games. I think the only way that Petty plays is if McCown gets seriously injured soon. I like McCown, so I'm not wishing anything bad on him, but I hope he gets injured badly enough that he can't play for a month or more and Bowles will be forced to play Petty because Hack is so NOT ready to play.

Chris Johnson told Bowles and announced that W&Ls don't matter that much this year, or at least won't be the major determining factor in whether he stays. It's a youth movement or rebuild year. The main focus or point of that kind of season is not how many wins one gets, but rather to determine who is going to be able to help you going forward and to play and develop those young players. Thus, Bowles should be thinking long term if he wants to be part of the team long term. If I'm Chris Johnson, even if Bowles does well, but clearly shows that he isn't thinking about the team's long term benefit/welfare, and is only thinking of his own contract situation, I'd fire his ass, and I'd make it clear why.

With that being the case, Bowles shouldn't be thinking that he's coaching for his job/extension, at least by the number of wins he gets or whether he makes the playoffs or not. If he is coaching for his job, it should be based on whether he has fixed his flaws/weak points, if he is doing a good job developing the young players, and as Chris Johnson says, "is the team getting better?". If he fixes his flaws, does a good job developing the young players, then the team should improve, and he should be extended. If he hasn't fixed his flaws and/or isn't doing a good job developing young players, then the team probably won't get better, and he probably shouldn't be extended barring extenuating circumstances. It's that simple.

7. Cman68

Whatever you say Rex... Have a nice day.

#67 Cman68, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  8. Cman68

NC, its almost as if every new Regime that comes in gets taken to a dark room and shown how not to draft a franchise QB. Its weird that no matter who the GM or the HC is, they make the same mistakes over and over again. 4 Qb's in 50 years by various regimes. All have had only marginal successes but the failures have been pretty consistent with Chad being the exception. By not investing high DP's in the QB position, they force themselves to sign Vet QB's. The Sanchez and Geno fiascoes didn't help either as no lesser a coach than Pete Carroll stated that Sanchez wasn't ready but hey, we're smarter than his college coach so we drafted him anyways. Since then, its been defense first and unless there's a seismic shift in Florham Pk, it will be defense first again. They seem to be risk adverse to playing young QB's.

Maybe its the pressure of being in the same market and stadium with the far more successful Giants that's driving the thought processes. Leon Hess was indeed a moron when it came to football and Woody was a OJT owner who 17 years later thanks to DJT, is now out of the way. Maybe with the Morton and Bates combo in place things will turn around. I dunno man.. Not sure why we can't get the QB position right no matter who's coaching or GM'ing or whatever. If there's a way to screw it up, we'll find it. Perhaps things will change soon. Would be nice for once to have a young capable QB leading the team..

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I hear ya, man!

I think being second fiddle to the Giants could have some merit, but then when the two leagues merged, the Jets were coming off a SB win and were at their peak and the Giants weren't all that. If anything, it's probably Leon's incompetence that made the Jets the "redheaded stepchild" or "second fiddle" in NYC.

Chris sounds like he's more on the ball than Woody. We'll have to hope and pray that he is, and that Mac and Bowles are up to the task. I do think there's hope with Morton and Bates, but Mac and/or Bowles could sabotage/undermine the good that Morton and Bates do. I guess we'll get some inkling of how good Morton/Bates are in judging QB talent and developing young QBs if we get to see Petty and/or Hack play this year, and what happens with the Jets in FA and the draft next year.

Cman68 likes this.
  10. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but does money at some point come into the equation? I'f McCown pays 2 more games , (50% of the Offensive snaps) his bonus money kicks in . I believe it is $ 125K per game , $ up to $ 2 mill for the season. I don't think the Jets could have expected to be in the playoff hunt by mid season and the plan could have been to get Hack and Petty the last 8 games , but given the current record , and the records in the AFC , does that change the plan?

11. Cman68

12. Cman68

if a measly 2mil buys Bowles his extension, you'd better believe McCown will start every game he's able to. Petty and Hack don't matter anymore.

#72 Cman68, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  13. TonyFtLaud

I just wonder if that was the plan all along or if things changed due to the wins and the AFC records. I'm sure Bowles only concern is W-L. As HC, that's really his job . Mac has to focus on the bigger picture.
    Time for MAC to waive McCown and force Bowles hand.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

I think we can kiss the top 3 QBs goodbye already. Currently we draft 17 with Cleveland drafting twice before we draft.
    Smith would be great in Morton's offense and Cousins would be a great option also.
    Wouldn't be bad to land either in the off season.
    It's been a long time since this team has played hard and together, its really not all doom and gloom.

FJF likes this.
  15. Cman68

Just the same mediocrity we're accustomed to from the Jets. As long as we can get back to between 6-10 and 10-6 we'll be fine.

ColoradoContrails and TonyFtLaud like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

That's the Jet's way !

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  17. Cman68

Amen Brother!!

18. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Please paste the article. I'm not gonna click on an article from someone that re-posts tweets and headlines from other sources that mock the team so he doesn't have to put his name to it that are 100% bullshit fabrications.

So Semeni then is saying that Petty can't play. At least we don't have to imagine that he can... according to Dick Wad Semeni.

19. Cman68

No can do big guy.. On the road to Jersey as I type.

20. TonyFtLaud

Here you go :
    After six games, journeyman Josh McCown has exceeded expectations, but there will be a price to pay in the offseason -- the subject of our New York Jetsquestion of the week.

@RichCimini: To paraphrase a line from Charles Dickens, it would be the best of times and the worst of times. An eight-win (or better) season would be quite an accomplishment for the organization, top to bottom, a terrific foundation in terms of roster development and culture change. It would be an unmistakable signal the franchise is heading in the right direction.

The downside (and this can't be understated) is they'd be back to square one at quarterback. They can't go into next season with the same trio -- McCown, Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Where's the hope? How do you sell that to your fan base? You can do it for a year, but not two.

You can't help but appreciate what McCown is doing this season, but the man is 38 years old and may want to get started on his coaching career. The Jets certainly can't hand the job to Petty or Hackenberg, based on what they've shown over the last two years. They'd be lucky to stick as backups.

The Jets need to acquire a proven starter or a young quarterback with a high ceiling -- i.e. one of the top college prospects. If they're picking in the middle of the first round, they'd have to pay an obscene price to jump up into the top two or three. Consider what the Los Angeles Rams gave up last year to draft Jared Goff. It was crazy steep.

Would the Jets do that for Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Josh Allen? Knowing how the Jets think, yes, I could absolutely see them trying to make that move. If not, they have to trade for Alex Smith or open the checkbook for a big-ticket free agent (Kirk Cousins?).

General manager Mike Maccagnan won't get too many more cracks at trying to fix this problem. For three years, he has relied on Band Aids and "maybes" at quarterback. Come the offseason, it'll be time to do something permanent.