New York Yankees 2012-13 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

A-Rod wants to "be a part of it"...

A-Rod says he wants 'to be part' of Yankees in first comments since alleged PED ties
    By MARC RAIMONDI
    Posted: 6:00 PM, February 21, 2013

Read more: A-Rod says he wants 'to be part' of Yankees in first comments since alleged PED ties http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/yanke...ts_since_Arxwt2z3qYZZ013hLOHHPK#ixzz2La5ChGa2

Alex Rodriguez said Thursday that he wants to remain part of the Yankees in his first comments since being tied to alleged performance-enhancing drug use.

"I am conducting two rehab sessions each and every day in an effort to get back on the field and rejoin my Yankees teammates,” A-Rod told The Post’s Joel Sherman through a spokesperson. “I think we have a great team and I want to be a part of it.”

Rodriguez, 37, is expected to be out until midseason after Jan. 16 surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip. He has also been tied to performance-enhancing drugs after the Miami News Times earlier this month uncovered documents with his name on them at shady anti-aging clinic Biogenesis.

The facility is under investigation by Major League Baseball and law enforcement. Published records from Biogenesis indicate Rodriguez allegedly purchased illegal performance-enhancing drugs from clinic owner Anthony Bosch each of the past four years. ESPN has reported that Bosch personally injected the PEDs into Rodriguez.

A-Rod could be suspended if the allegations are found to be true. The Yankees were reportedly looking into different options that would allow them to void his contract, which has five years and $114 million remaining on it. But there are too many obstacles to overcome for that to happen and it’s considered a long shot. All owner Hal Steinbrenner has said is that the team is “concerned” about the reports.

The Yankees signed former Red Sox third baseman Kevin Youkilis to a one-year deal to stem the tide until A-Rod is ready to return.

Rodriguez’s spokesman said that A-Rod is working in New York rehabbing his surgically repaired hip under supervision of Dr. Brian Kelly and his trainer Pete Draovitch. Yankees general manager Brian Cashman has said that A-Rod will not join his teammates at spring training in Tampa.

“Right now I’m dedicating 100 percent of my energy and focus on my rehabilitation,” Rodriguez said.

Read more: A-Rod says he wants 'to be part' of Yankees in first comments since alleged PED ties http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/yanke...ts_since_Arxwt2z3qYZZ013hLOHHPK#ixzz2La5RXSoN

2. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

A-Rod is a joke. Tried really hard to like the guy, what a terrible contract.

3. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

I can't imagine the level of hatred Yankee fans would have for A-Rod if he didn't have 2009. I actually could be worse than it already is. Pretty amazing for a guy who won 2 MVP awards with the Yankees.

4. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The last 3 shitty ass years of his career were on performance enhancing drugs? Lmfao

5. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

Watching this kid Nick Turley pitching for the Yankees on YES (and, yes, he IS related to Bob Turley). 5-0 Birds and no outs in top of first. This is a top Yankee pitching prospect? Oh, the pain! :sad:

6. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

A foundation started by New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez gave only 1 percent of proceeds
    to charity during its first year of operation in 2006, then stopped submitting mandatory financial reports to the IRS and was stripped of its tax-exempt status.
    Some athletes’ self-run nonprofits accomplish so little that their chief function appears to be public relations.

Rodriguez talked openly about his desire to reverse bad publicity in 2006 after being exposed as a member of an underground poker club. He started a foundation and teamed with rapper Jay-Z to host a celebrity poker tournament for charity.

“I got in some trouble for poker last year, so why not turn it around and raise some money for the children?” Rodriguez said in an interview with MLB.com at the time.

The event helped the A-Rod Family Foundation raise $403,862 in 2006, but little found its way to charity, according to IRS records. The foundation gave $5,000 to Jay-Z’s Shawn Carter Scholarship Fund and $90 to a Little League Baseball club in Miami. Rodriguez’s agent did not respond to requests to interview the slugger.

http://bostonglobe.com/business/201...ing-records/a0Eqoz6RUYORFhT0T0j0EO/story.html

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Lol 90 bucks! What is that a bag of balls and new gloves for the squad?

8. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

I'm watching the Yankess-Phillies game on YES. This is the first time I saw Youk at the plate for the Yankees. I'm sorry, but Youk does not look as fearsome without the facial hair. In fact, he looks more like Justin Bieber! I think it's time for the Yankees to join the 21st century and ease-up on those ridiculous restrictions. C'mon, this isn't 1957!

9. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Saw him interviewed by Jack Curry last night, he looks alot lighter also...

10. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

11. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

I think Cashman is loading-up on the pain-killers. What say ye, Yankees fans?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03...ee-says-chipper-would-be-perfect-for-yankees/

Cashman Reaches Out To Derrek Lee, Says Chipper Would Be ‘Perfect’ For Yankees

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The Yankees need bats right now.

More specifically, they need a first baseman with Mark Teixeira out for eight to 10 weeks. Or a third baseman, which would help if Kevin Youkilis moves over to first.

With few free-agent options out there — Opening Day is less than three weeks away — general manager Brian Cashman has to get creative.

How’s this for creative? New York has approached Derrek Lee about coming out of retirement and resurrecting his career in the Bronx.

Cashman confirmed that he reached out to the 37-year-old and has spoken to him. According to a tweet from Jack Curry of the YES Network, the general manager said, “I made a call. I liked him as a player.”

Curry tweeted: “Cashman called Lee a Yankee type because of his approach and makeup. When asked about chance of signing him, simply said Lee isn’t here now.”

Lee last played in the big leagues in 2011, playing 85 games for the Orioles and 28 games for the Pirates. The 2005 National League batting champion hit .267 that season with 19 home runs and 59 RBIs.

In his 15-year career, the three-time Gold Glove Award winnerbatted .281 with 331 dingers and 1,078 RBIs.

If the Yankees go with internal options to replace Teixeira, it remains to be seen who will fill his void.

“If Opening Day was tomorrow, I’d say it’s either Kevin Youkilis or Dan Johnson (playing first base),” WFAN’s Sweeny Murti told Mike Francesa last week. “It didn’t sound like it was the best option they wanted to choose, but a combination of (Jayson) Nix and (Eduardo) Nunez could play third base. They’ve shied away from playing Nunez anywhere but shortstop, but obviously things change when you have injury situations like this. Nothing is ideal right now.”

Manager Joe Girardi also indicated that there is uncertainty with Teixeira down.

“That’s something we would have to look at,” the skipper said in regard to the first-base situation prior to knowing the severity of Teixeira’s injury. “We have a number of guys that have played there. Juan Rivera has played there, Dan Johnson has played there. (Kevin Youkilis) has played there. There are a number of things you could possibly do.’’

Cashman said he’s “not optimistic” about Lee signing with New York, according to Curry. He also said, “If Chipper Jones wants to come back, I’d love to have Chipper.”

Jones, a career Brave, retired from baseball this offseason after a 19-year career. The Yankees’ GM said that Jones would be “perfect” for the Yankees and he plans to call his agent, according to Curry.

Joel Sherman of the New York Post spoke with Jones’ agent, B.B. Abbott, and as expected, it seems highly unlikely that the future Hall of Famer will ever play again.

“I will tell you what (Chipper Jones) has told me: He is retired and not planning to come back at all,” Abbott told Sherman. “I don’t think (joining the Yankees) is something he would consider, but he would be flattered. We talked a lot about him in pinstripes because of all the great players the Yankees have had, but it is probably too late now.”

Jones addressed the matter at 2:00 p.m., tweeting: “Enough with the rumors! While I am flattered about the speculation of being enticed out of retirement, I’m happy with life as a bad golfer!”

Cashman has also looked into third baseman Scott Rolen, reported Curry. The GM said that he believes the 17-year veteran would play in 2013 if the circumstances were right.

The 37-year-old batted .245 with eight homers and 39 RBIs in 92 games for the Reds in 2012.

12. matt robinson 17

Too bad Lou Gehrig died

13. wexy

wexy Member

Joe Pepitone can play first...He's been cleaning his wigs..

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

Cashman's idea is that the Yankees are too young of a team and that they need a veteran presence.

I bet Keith Hernandez and Tino Martinez would be interested.

15. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

yankees/red sox spring training

gardner-nunez-youkilis-rivera-francisco-nix-stewart-neal-mesa

16. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I hope Nix gets some legit playing time I think he could develope into a very solid player.

Jeter supposedly won't be ready for opening day.

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

So in the last 24 hours, they've...

Traded for Vernon Wells and will pay him $13M over the next two years (a move they've been working on since December!?!?!)
    Signed Lyle Overbay to a three day contract.
    Released David Adams.
    Claimed yet another mediocre AAAA middle reliever.

Are we sure Cashman isn't ODing on painkillers?

This season is going to suck dick. Maybe they'll be out of it early enough that they'll have no choice but to just go with the kids.

18. matt robinson 17

AM, 1st year in a long time we have nothing to look forward too, it's looking pretty bleek

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Well at least we re-signed Adams.

20. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Projected opening day lineup from Yankees.com:

CF B Gardner
    RF I Suzuki
    2B R Cano
    1B K Youkilis
    DH B Francisco
    LF V Wells
    SS E Nunez
    3B J Nix
    C C Stewart

SP C Sabathia

Didn't even know Francisco was on the team prior to clicking that link.... guy is a scrub. Can't wait to beat Boston with this patchwork lineup.