New York Jets' worst move of 2012? Not firing Rex Ryan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by akibud, Jan 3, 2013.

1. akibud

akibud Active Member

New York Jets' worst move of 2012? Not firing Rex Ryan

By Adam Schein

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...k-jets-worst-move-of-2012-not-firing-rex-ryan.

I'm not sure if this article was posted already, if it has, please delete the thread. I am in complete agreement with the writer on his views about why Ryan should have also be fired. He needed to go for all the bumbling and narrow mindedness he has shown since he got here. I agree that Ryan is an awesome DC, but he is average at being a HC at best. See some of the evidence below. One of his biggest problems of course was putting the cart before the horse, i.e. proclaiming greatness before having even coached a game. Unfortunately, it is also clear that the owner is a fan of such gibberish and likes see his teams name in the headlines even if it's not about how great the team is.

2. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

None of the coaches have been fired yet, that doesn't mean they won't be.

3. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

I agree with basically everything he wrote, having no valid backup during the Pats game and later no backup Rex would play no matter how bad Sanchez was in our elimination game was the end for me, it is clear Rex can't be a Head Coach.

4. fozzi58

fozzi58 Well-Known Member

I agree. They should have asked Vinney or Brunell to come back and be a backup.

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Can someone explain to me how we can have a bad GM, bad HC, bad starting QB and still win as much as we did? how does that happen?

6. displacedfan

Because these things aren't static. Just because you were good 2 years ago doesn't mean you're good now. I mean Sanchez is the prime example. He was much better year 2 than he was this year.

Just because you loaded the team with talent 2 years ago doesn't mean you kept on loading the team with talent the next 2 years.

Things change.

7. nyjunc

yep and just b/c you were bad this year doesn't man you will be bad next year. You don't have the type of success we had by accident.

8. akibud

akibud Active Member

I assume the winning you are referring to is the to two AFC title game seasons. The talent was way better then for sure, and despite even making it that far, the regular season record was not dominant. That could have been because of the poor QB and HC as were the 2 losses in the title games. You might disagree.

9. displacedfan

Nope, but trending in the wrong direction is worrisome.

10. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Already posted. Too bad the hated for Rex is greater than everything else here. :(

I'd call it the best move, but people hate his personality and are blinded by that.

11. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

The situation with the coordinators is almost a mute point. With Pettine turning down a contract extension, that's the equivalent of quitting. Westhoff is retiring. Tanny is already fired. That leaves Sporano who deserves to be fired. So Rex is left on Ryan Island all by himself. It's crazy to turn over all major players except Ryan. The new GM will pick the personnel, not the head coach. It's stupid not to make a change at the head coach spot. Woody approved all contract extensions. Therefore he should eat them when things don't pan out. This was his doing. Let a new regime take over. This one failed.

12. nyjunc

neither title game loss was b/c of the QB, BOTH were b/c of the D.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

A lot of the criticisms of Rex in the article are accurate. That doesn't change the fact that Woody wants to be in the mix next year with at least a hacker's shot at making a wildcard and preserving the illusion that the Jets are real contenders during the MetLife Super Bowl season.

The only way the Jets are even remotely competitive next year is with Rex getting his defense to play at a high level. The offense is likely to be up in the air all season with a new coordinator, a new QB and several new skill players plugged in all at once.

So saying that Tannenbaum and Rex were bound at the hip and the only right decision was to keep them both or fire them both is kind of silly. Tannenbaum brought nothing to the table in support of the 2013 season. Rex brought his defensive acumen.

14. Jetsetter

Jetsetter Active Member

BTW, the thing about the two AFC Championship Game losses is that making it to the final four is not the same thing as winning a damn Superbowl. This is grasping at straws to point out success for this organization. No, they did not win a championship nor did they show improvement in their play. The regression happened with the players Rex and Tanny brought on. When Rex had Mangini's guys, he made it as far as the AFC Championship games. Since then, nada.

15. displacedfan

1st and goal at the 1 in Pitt and we score 0 points? The decision to let Sanchez throw on 3rd and long and wrongly leading to a scoop and score for 7 for Pitt?

The loss was part Sanchez/OC part defense. Yes the defense couldn't get a stop late in the 4th but they also let up 0 second half points while the offense put up -7 points in the first half. The defense also scored 2 in the 2nd half too.

Both units failed and couldn't show up for 2 halves. The defense and offense didn't show up for the first half.

16. akibud

akibud Active Member

exactly!... the whole team played like they were not prepared for the first half against Pittsburgh. Was that bad coaching?

17. dr.velociraptor

dr.velociraptor Tired of BS

Kotite won 10 and 11 games with the Eagles... Sometimes teams win in spite of people instead of because of people. Clearly we've lost talent at every level, Mangini/Tanny was a better team building duo than Rex/Tanny which helped with our early success, but even then we barely made the playoffs, we were not a league powerhouse, could've just as easily been playing golf had a couple teams not helped us out.

#17 dr.velociraptor, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Hack article by a hack writer.

The whole bolded part is personnel based, and Schein's intepretation of what Rex thought of those players thru what was said in pressers.
    What Rex says in pressers doesn't mean anything. If he stands behind a guy like Hunter in a presser, that doesn't mean 'Hunter is a Rex choice'. Schein taking a leap.
    And personnel falls on the GM. If the GM did actually let Rex talk him into Tebow over Henne (which i seriously doubt), all the more reason the GM should go.
    another speculation BS article, which has nothing to do with coaching.

btw, Schein was in love with the Tebow move when it happened.

19. nyjunc

that was his fault that no one was open? Can we give credit to Pitt's D? how about mark leading us back from 24-0 down and giving us a chance? the D put us in that hole and when we got back w/in 5 the D had to keep Pitt from converting 2 1st downs and they couldn't do it. we lost b/c of the D.

The O put up -4 in the 1st half, the D was -17

Kotite took over a team that had been in the playoffs 3 straight years, they would make it once in 3 years w/ Kotite. rex took over a team that had been in the playoffs 1 time in the previous 4 years and couldn't make it despite a HOF QB and no Brady to deal w/ in 2008. Rex's 4 playoff wins are more than the Jets combined for from 1987-2008.

20. BronxJet

BronxJet Banned

Guys who want to get rid of Ryan, please tell me

What is our 2012 record withOUT Rex Ryan?