New York Jets: In great shape!!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotlandJet, Mar 7, 2006.

1. ScotlandJet

ScotlandJet New Member

Have been following the boards the last few weeks I am very surprised at the negative opinion Jets fans seem to have about our chances of making any kind of impact this year. Whilst I appreciate we are in uncharted waters with our new coaching staff I just don't buy this depression trip some fans seem to be waiting to unfold. Please. The bones of this team competed to a high level in 2004. The loss of Chad and a pretty good back up in Feidler early last season put the hammer down on any chance we had of making a run at the play-offs. I think we are in good shape this coming season. Bear with me and listen up.
    1. We were all disenchanted with Herm, he's gone and to replace him we didn't go for a retread. Mangini, whilst young and unproven called all the plays for the "Pats" so he must have enjoyed the full trust of BB. You can't tell me he doesn't want to make an impact this year. He has shedloads of experience and I think he might surprise a lot of people.
    2. We are loaded with draft picks. Picks from last year due to us plus our high pick in round 1 means we can really address some serious issues on this team. Throw in a possible high trade pick for Abe who is desperate to leave and therfore no good to us and we can start planning to hit this season running.
    3.Our cap situation would appear to now be resolved for the direct future confirming what many people believed. Mike T has real strengths in this area of the Organization and should we dip into FA we are in competent hands.
    4. The key vets on this team are gagging to make an impact. Chad knows he has to perform some magic to strengthen his future on the team and he knows when he is healthy he can get the job done. I expect a big year from him as he gets pushed all the way form a draft pick or FA vet. Some potentially great players on this team have underperformed; Dwayne Robertson is familiar with the NFL now and I see him having his best year as a Jet. Shuan Ellis will be a played to his great strengths under Mangini unlike Herm, Bryan Thomas knows it is now or never. Rhodes is outstanding prospect with Justin Millar ready for a breakout year. JONATHAN VILMA! I don't believe any team will look forward to playing this D when revved up by 51.
    Lets start looking at the potential for great season instead of lookinfg for reasons to hit the booze. We're Jets fans, we dont need an excuse.

2. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

No doubt the FO has worked some magic, who would have thunk we would actually have some money to sign high draft picks and/or a couple of big name FA's when all of this started, great job FO.

A lot of next year rides on our QB situation (Chad/FA/Draft), but what looked like a bleak 2006 might not be so bad after all.

3. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

As much as Im rooting for MT and EM, I just dont see the magic so far. Reworking contracts and cutting players (some of them very good) is something anyone could have done.

With all their moves, they have left the team with more voids than I can ever remember in an offseason. They, like so many other teams, had to do what they did.

Come draft day, Im sure they will show their stuff and have a great day. Anyone can get under a cap the way they have....well...perhaps everyone except Bradway.

4. parafly

parafly New Member

I have definitely seen the magic so far, and I think they should be given the benefit of the doubt on their actions. Our cap situation was a complete mess, but they did an excellent job of creating some breathing room for us. We may have more voids than usual, but I feel like this should be expected during a rebuilding year with a new Front Office. I have liked every single one of their moves so far, and IMHO the future is bright.

I can only imagine where we'd be right now if Herm and Bradway were still around.....

5. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

The real determining factor will be what they can get for Abe. If we end up with #4 and #9, I'll be impressed. If we can get Brick and Cutler with those picks and then come back and get either mangold or Eslinger, I will be ecstatic.

6. parafly

parafly New Member

Wishful thinking. This would be the ideal situation for the team, but the chances of it happening are very very slim. I think the absolute best we can get for abraham is low first round.

7. I love the path our FO is taking. Theyve made all the right moves in terms of rebuilding us for good, w/ a solid cap state. Now we need a good Fa period/draft to really get things moving

8. parafly

parafly New Member

I agree. Two months ago, I thought the Jets were going to be a 4 win team next year. If we have a good draft and make the right free agent moves, we actually have a shot at being competitive next year. Great job so far for the coaching staff. They may be young, but they are showing they know what they are doing.

9. JetsTillDeath

JetsTillDeath New Member

Although i agree with some of what you are saying here, like "They, like so many other teams, had to do what they did." They have done it in such a way that it leaves more of a direct path to success. They know exactly what their needs are, and exactly where there strengths are. It just feels a lot less Chaotic then it did when the season ended, i actually see a pretty sunset at the end of this tunnel. We have some cap room, we kept some key components, and with an easy schedule next year, at least we will not be embarassed, season record wise.

10. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I follow what your all saying.

Im as excited about this front office and coaching staff as anyone. I just feel the next 4 months will be the telling signs of what direction this leadership is planning on taking and how good they will be at it.

Im just a bit hesitant to get excited about being under the cap when this team still needs a rock solid center...a fullback...a future running back...another offensive lineman...a DT....another quality linebacker...and potentially a franchise QB to build around...not to mention a solid pass rusher..because when you trade Abe...you need to replace him...sometimes that gets lost around here.

I do think that some of the above perhaps may be on the roster. I think all defensive players on this team are starting fresh as far as Im concerned. The team on the defensive side of the ball is filled with unproven young players that were either average/poor draft choices...or were under a coaching staff that never exceled at developing draft picks. (Miller, Strait, Coleman, Rhodes, Robertson and on offense Cotch, Askew)

Were all of these guys just average to below average picks? Or was the development and physical training from the previous regime so weak that some might be very good players laying in the weeds. If I were a betting man, I would go with the latter.

11. KJet84

KJet84 Member

U got me hyped for this season Scotland..last we thought the Super Bowl was our path and look what happened. This year, we keep the same young starters and we add a couple draft picks and we could be solid. I am very optimistic about this coming year.

12. jdjets

jdjets New Member

very optimistic indeed, im excited about winning 4 games too.

13. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

Well I was at the training camp last year for the morning and afternoon workouts. From my perspective the only thing missing on the field was a grill and some hamburgers and hotdogs cooking. No WIND SPRINTS, No Exercise drills, No NOTHING. It was a joke a party camp and I only hope and pray that Mangini changes the way things were run. GO JETS

14. parafly

parafly New Member

The new coaching staff has shown so far that they have a completely different attitude about how things should be run. With Herm in charge and especially in recent years, we showed that we were a vulnerable and soft team. I am looking forward to Mangini whipping this team into shape.