New York is known for what sport

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by eyedea, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Baseball ... Actually all of the Country is Yankee town :)

btw, Tell us who was on what side of the argument!! :breakdance:

2. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

Arguing with my friend, we were drink mind you but I am telling him it's baseball 110%. He said basketball, who has more fucking championships then the Yankees?

3. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I was 110% baseball he's telling me basketball.

4. devilonthetownhallroof

devilonthetownhallroof 2007 TGG Fantasy Baseball League Champion

Baseball as far as pro goes, but if you get a feel for the city you're going to see a lot more basketball.

5. Barcs

Barcs Banned

fuck baseball. NY is known for sensationalist exaggerating media and terrible judgmental fans that go right along with them.

6. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

you 2 were arguing about 2 different things, the drink will do that.

Basketball is the "city's game", meaning that a million kids play it as a pastime, pick up games, leagues etc. So yeah there's probably a lot more kids playing hoops than are playing baseball in the city....

but as far as pro sports are concerned, it's a baseball town, media wise, fans, all around year round interest etc.

There, argument settled ; )

7. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I was talking from a pro sport prespective.

8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Baseball.... goes back to the Brooklyn Dodgers and Yankees and NY Giants, before they went to San Francisco.

9. CodeGreen

CodeGreen Active Member

Professionally Id say baseball, but a compelling case could be made for basketball

10. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i say basketball because EVERYWHERE you go in the city you can find a basketball game. EVERYONE plays basketball in the city and the city has always been known as the mecca of basketball. as has (fuck you dolan you cock sucker) the garden.

baseball is what mike francesser would say, basketball is what the real answer is.

new york is a basketball town in my eyes.

11. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think the fans #1 sport is football now.

Playing is obviously basketball, there's no debate about that but as far as fans watching sports. Again, a bad Jets team playing a meaningless Mon Night game attracted more viewers in the NY area than Game 2 of the ALDS vs. Baltimore. I think that tells us the answer, most people will say baseball b/c they hold onto the old traditions when baseball was king in this Country but there is a huge gap btw baseball and football and that extends to the NYC area.

12. eyedea

eyedea Active Member

I am talking strictly about New York and what kind of city it is.

There is no way in hell its football. The football audience is predominately men, and I am not talking about the superbowl where everyone watches to see what numbers they had in their office pool. Baseball (especially in NY) has such a deep rich history and the most accomplished team in all of professional sports. And you got to remember there a lot of women baseball fans as well.

13. nyjunc

There are a lot of women football fans as well and don't confuse women who show up to games as fans. Yes we have the greatest team in the history of sports but these arenn't the days when we had 3 baseball teams, the Mets have been so bad for so long they are irrelevant until they win. NY ratings saw more people watching a meaningless Jet game than Game 2 of a postseason series for the yankees. I think that speaks volumes. The average Jet or Giant game attracts more viewers than the highest rated Yanks/Mets games.

14. Yisman

Yisman Newbie

that's because football only plays once a week. 16 games a season vs. 162.

New York is definitely not known for football because there are no football teams, unless you want to count Syracuse and Buffalo.

NYC has two MLB teams, however.

15. nyjunc

The Jets and Giants represent NYC, the Bills don't play in Buffalo so that's like saying Buffalo doesn't have a team.

I get the once a week vs. 162 games argument BUT in postseason where every game is critical how can a meaningless Jet game w/ the team playing awful football outdraw game 2 of a Yankee playoff series?

16. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

^^
    Exactly, 1 game vs 162. 4 playoff games max vs a minimum of 3 playoff games.

NY is still a baseball city, aka Yankee Universe, but America's sport is now football, partly because of how little we get of it.

Playing wise, easily basketball for NYC, but pro sport known for baseball. Everyone knows about the Yankees and they represent NYC more so than the Jets, Giants, Knicks, Rangers, etc.

17. nyjunc

I love baseball but I think the notion that this is a baseball town is media driven. They like to pretend it's the good old says when the City had 3 teams. The Mets can't draw flies to their new building, the Yanks aren't even selling out playoff games anymore and Jet/Giant games signifiantly outdraw fans to their TVs over Yanks/Mets and that's for the biggest Yank/Met games of the season compared to the worst gams for Jets/Giants.

I don't have the #s but I'd bet Jets/Giants preseason games get better ratings than Yank/Met reg season games.

18. displacedfan

The Jets in October weren't meaningless the last 4 years. NYC is known for the Yankees. Football is America's sport though. It's growing at an enormous rate, but NYC isn't know for the Jets or Giants, it's known for the Yankees. (my personal experience regarding talking to non NYers and foreigners). They know the Yankees, they know the Yankees are good. Also partly the perception of NY as Yankees/baseball across the world might be due to the fact that baseball is more popular outside USA than american football.

Football across the world was what soccer was to USA about 5-10 years ago. Soccer though is growing here so the comparison is outdated.

19. nyjunc

They were this year, they were coming off a humiliation vs. SF and ahd lost revis and Holmes in back to back weeks plsu Houston was considered the best team in the league at that point.

Everyone knows the Yankees all around the world but I believe football has surpassed baseball for sports fans in the area. I could be reading this totally wrong, it's just my opinion.

20. displacedfan

We were still alive though.

Also I agree on your statement, but so going off the thread title

New York is known for _______

I think if you went around polling non NYers and NYers and people across the world, Yankees ends up coming up for the fill in the blank. So me, overall, I think NY is known as a baseball town, but for each person (like you and me) it can differ since it is an opinion. I just think overall if a hypotheticall poll was run, you would get the Yankees. If you asked New York is know for this sport _______ I think basketball might come up a lot more but baseball would win closely.